• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

People are putting too much stock in preseason

capstone21

Quote:

Huh?

2003 we went 4-4.

Ended the season with 28-54...

Wouldn't you expect us to be somewhere around 42-42??

I don't think you can put a lot of stock into preseason.

do u even read other people's posts?

teams that go 75% in preseason win at least 42 games 21/24 times (one of those 3 outliers was due to rockets losing both tmac and yao for much of season after them being in preseason)

we went 4-4 that year...this year we may go 7-1!...or at least 6-2 or 5-3...obv we'll be more excited if we go 7-1 or 6-2 than 5-3

also, we beat the bobcats, who always seemed to beat us the past few years

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I'm not going to believe it until I see it. For the most time, in preseason, teams are a lot more careful. They rest their best players (like we did today). They take injuries (even little ones) far more heavier and cautiously play players. They search for good rotations without really respecting the score or the flow of the game. For that reason, I can't put a lot into a winning record during preseason.

Yet, if we had a LOSING preseason record, you'd be one of the first on here trading everyone away and saying we are doomed to an awful season.

All of Charlotte's key guys played except Brezec (and Sean May doesn't count. It is like he should change his last name to Claxton.) and we beat them without our all-star and looked good doing it. There is nothing but positives we can take away from 5-1 this preseason. We're playing at a nice level.

:mr-t:

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm not going to believe it until I see it. For the most time, in preseason, teams are a lot more careful. They rest their best players (like we did today). They take injuries (even little ones) far more heavier and cautiously play players. They search for good rotations without really respecting the score or the flow of the game. For that reason, I can't put a lot into a winning record during preseason.

talktohand.gif I am so tired of this dude!

Quote:

Quote:

talktohand.gif I am so tired of this dude!

I'm all for piling on Diesel, but all he's saying (on the surface at least) is that he's not going to let a good preseason showing convince him we're good to go. Why does anyone care if he feels that way? I kind of feel that way too, even though I'm relieved and somewhat excited that things are going well so far. Cautiously optimistic, right?

He's not bashing the way we've been playing, and he's not bashing our potential for a good season. At least not that I've noticed.

It's true that preseason doesn't mean much but if you can't find encouraging signs so far your not trying very hard.

Not trying to slam on Shelly, but when was the last time, preseason or not, that he put up 22/12/4?

Marvin's also playing well, looks a lot better so far.

We did beat the Bobcats without JJ and looked good. Law looks like a solid PG rookie as well. Chill looks like he's in midseason form.

Only preseason? Yes. But if we were 1-5 and Horford looked lost that would be a real issue. This team honestly looks good.

Quote:

It's true that preseason doesn't mean much but if you can't find encouraging signs so far your not trying very hard.

Not trying to slam on Shelly, but when was the last time, preseason or not, that he put up 22/12/4?

Marvin's also playing well, looks a lot better so far.

We did beat the Bobcats without JJ and looked good. Law looks like a solid PG rookie as well. Chill looks like he's in midseason form.

Only preseason? Yes. But if we were 1-5 and Horford looked lost that would be a real issue. This team honestly looks good.

I agree. I'm EXCITED that we haven't SUCKED!

As that's what I've become so accostomed to.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm all for piling on Diesel, but all he's saying (on the surface at least) is that he's not going to let a good preseason showing convince him we're good to go. Why does anyone care if he feels that way? I kind of feel that way too, even though I'm relieved and somewhat excited that things are going well so far. Cautiously optimistic, right?

He's not bashing the way we've been playing, and he's not bashing our potential for a good season. At least not that I've noticed.

The guy is just negative and he gets into fights with everyone on the board except maybe Walter! The guy makes up stuff to be negative toward certain players and positive toward other. He constantly raves about other team's mediocre players and propose stupid trades for them in return for some our best players. I'm just so tired of all of his agendas. If he is going to evaluate the play of the team be fair about it as oppose to raining on the parade when the outcome contradicts his predictions. There have been several guys that have said harsh things about the team and individual players that have been man enough to say that they were wrong after noticing the team's progress but not this dude! It is just irritating to a fan to come to a fan board excited about the team you support only to get crapped on by supposedly another fan of the same team. Personally, I have my doubts about his so call fan loyalty to the Hawks!

saythat.gif

Quote:

Quote:

The guy is just negative and he gets into fights with everyone on the board except maybe Walter! The guy makes up stuff to be negative toward certain players and positive toward other. He constantly raves about other team's mediocre players and propose stupid trades for them in return for some our best players. I'm just so tired of all of his agendas. If he is going to evaluate the play of the team be fair about it as oppose to raining on the parade when the outcome contradicts his predictions. There have been several guys that have said harsh things about the team and individual players that have been man enough to say that they were wrong after noticing the team's progress but not this dude! It is just irritating to a fan to come to a fan board excited about the team you support only to get crapped on by supposedly another fan of the same team. Personally, I have my doubts about his so call fan loyalty to the Hawks!

saythat.gif

You can't question his loyalty man. He is beyond loyal. You can question his sanity though.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The guy has been postng on Hawks boards since before this one was operating. He is a true Hawks fan.

It could also mean that he is a true Hawk hater. Haters will stick around longer when things are bad just to mess with others. Just check out that Falcon board occasionally or the AJC blogs!

Quote:

Quote:

The guy has been postng on Hawks boards since before this one was operating. He is a true Hawks fan.

It could also mean that he is a true Hawk hater. Haters will stick around longer when things are bad just to mess with others. Just check out that Falcon board occasionally or the AJC blogs!

No he just wants the GM to do everything he wants, and he never lets go of anything. I pray for his family.

He is the most devoted fan ever.

Quote:

Quote:

saythat.gif

There's no doubt that his negativity, stubborness and transparent agenda promotions are extremely frustrating, but guess what? He's not going anywhere and he's not changing. I find myself much less agitated when I take the high road with him even when he doesn' deserve it. I find myself boiling over when I give into the childishness and get into the nonsense with him.

I prefer not to be agitated and I don't like boiling over, so I'm trying my best to treat every one of his posts as if it were the first one I've ever seen.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He is the most devoted fan ever.

Devoted fans want their team to win! Again, others want to draft Conley or Yi etc but now that they see how good Horford and Law are for this team, they have admitted as such. Diesel on the other hand, uses their success to create controversy on the board to mis-direct our enthusiasm! Why? Because he doesn't want you to be happy about the team's success! By definition, this is no Fan of the Hawks.

Quote:

Quote:

saythat.gif

Diesel is one of the main reasons this board is addictive. Sure he is provocative. Deliberately. Nuts. Deliberately, a lot of times. And funny as hell to me.

Plus, he has a microphone planted in the Hawks' war room, and every now and then he plays a tape. Can't be long now.

And you really have to appreciate some of his posts. The other day, he accused his debating partner as having "incredible flaccidity." And don't tell me you won't acknowledge the creativity of his quote from today, in "Re: Another instance of Nut Hugging by Teabag Pete", as follows: "Not a wild accusation. An Accusation dripping in fact and admission." link

The cat has some true talent. smile.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

Everyone is out there trying to win, especially the less established teams.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. IN our first game against Orlando, it was obvious that Van Gundy was more interested in looking at the different lineups he had than he was about winning the game. Even after we got back in the game, he didn't call his starters back in. When the regular season begins, teams will be more serious about winning. That's why preseason is not to be overstated.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yet, if we had a LOSING preseason record, you'd be one of the first on here trading everyone away and saying we are doomed to an awful season.

I never have before?? Why would I start now. I think you should know these things before you just assume things. I'm not Hotlanta nor Walter. At times, I have been the most optimistic fan here. However, I'm not going to get too optimistic about a preseason record. Not when I realize how preseason games are played.

• Premium Member

I'm excited going into the season too. What really has me excited is our rookies and the fact that it looks like they can step right in. However, I'm not going to say because we have a good record in preseason that we're a lock for the plahyoffs... I'm excited and optimistic but I'm not willing to make that jump!

Quote:

I'm excited going into the season too. What really has me excited is our rookies and the fact that it looks like they can step right in. However, I'm not going to say because we have a good record in preseason that we're a lock for the plahyoffs... I'm excited and optimistic but I'm not willing to make that jump!

LOL You got alot of stuff to respond to munching_out.gif