• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Mike Conley gets the middle finger!

khaos7

I just read the November 2007 edition of Vibe magazine (which has rapper Lil' Wayne on the cover). It has a 2007-08 NBA preview which includes an interview with one Mr. Mike Conley (the one several Hawks fans, myself included was enamored with). He says, "I was praying that Atlanta didn't pick me." Vibe had that portion of the interview highlighted for points of emphasis.

I know our reputation around the league and with NBA fans, but now I'm glad we didn't get him (especially if he went down on bended knees and petitioned for divine intervention to stop the Hawks from picking him).

Now, more than ever, I'm glad we picked Horford and Law. Both want to be here (Law said as much on a YOUTUBE clip I saw prior to the draft) and both have gone on record as wanting to help change the culture in Hawksville.

That said, let's all raise our middle fingers up in unison, tell Mr. Conley he can stuff his mouth with tissue and kiss our...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

a. he'd rather play in Memphis?

WTF?

b. there is absolutely no reason for him to say that in a magazine, whether he felt that way or not. you keep that stuff private as it may affect you in the future on down the line.

Excatly. Can you imagine Law or Horford saying that to any team?

i'm not saying he's out fighting dogs but the fact he said that knowing it would be published tells me he has either character or maturity issues.

Quote:

Quote:

a. he'd rather play in Memphis?

WTF?

b. there is absolutely no reason for him to say that in a magazine, whether he felt that way or not. you keep that stuff private as it may affect you in the future on down the line.

Excatly. Can you imagine Law or Horford saying that to any team?

F---- em. I was really disappointed in hearing that from Conley. Had it been Kobe, Shaq, Lebron, McGrady, Nash...guys who are established and want to win now I can understand it. But Conley? Who hasn't proven he can play without Greg Oden and still doesn't have a jumpshot? I'm not hating because I admit I wanted him. I was sold he could be the perfect PG to help us have an uptempo game. He hasn't proven a thing, yet he's bold enought to talk about teams. Go figure.

Quote:

F---- em. I was really disappointed in hearing that from Conley. Had it been Kobe, Shaq, Lebron, McGrady, Nash...guys who are established and want to win now I can understand it. But Conley? Who hasn't proven he can play without Greg Oden and still doesn't have a jumpshot? I'm not hating because I admit I wanted him. I was sold he could be the perfect PG to help us have an uptempo game. He hasn't proven a thing, yet he's bold enought to talk about teams. Go figure.

At least it will save some internet bandwidth, as people will stop crying for Conley in this forum. (unless he signficantly outplays Horfy and Law. Ya right.)

Man, I liked Conley. If all we had was one pick I may have taken him. Glad we didn't. Especially if he prayed to the big man up stairs not to come to the ATL.

I just don't understand why he likes Memphis. Have you ever been there ? After it rains stuff cotton up your nose b/c the Mississppi River STINKS ! Do they still play in the Pyramid ? I remember some good concerts there in the mid 90's. There is a good Beal Street Music Festival. Again just hope it doesn't rain. It don't take much to flood the streets around Beal St down by the river. Oh, I forgot to mention that their basketball team has no talent except Gasol and Gay.

All in all I can't believe we have Law. He was my favorite collegiate player last year. I never missed an A&M game on TV b/c he was that mutch fun to watch. With Conley you saw a fast guy with potential........with Law you saw a guy a who single handedly controlled and won basket ball games without a monster named Oden and another 1st round pick at SG.

Just thrilled it played out like it did. I am not used to the Hawks having any luck. We got good players who want to be here (due to lottery luck or "help" from above) rather then one player with potential who prayed to the good Lord not be a Hawk. I'm sure glad the big man answers some prayers.

It would be beautiful if Horford turns out better then Gasol, and Law better then Conley. Nothing would taste sweeter.

Quote:

I just read the November 2007 edition of Vibe magazine (which has rapper Lil' Wayne on the cover). It has a 2007-08 NBA preview which includes an interview with one Mr. Mike Conley (the one several Hawks fans, myself included was enamored with). He says, "I was praying that Atlanta didn't pick me." Vibe had that portion of the interview highlighted for points of emphasis.

I know our reputation around the league and with NBA fans, but now I'm glad we didn't get him (especially if he went down on bended knees and petitioned for divine intervention to stop the Hawks from picking him).

Now, more than ever, I'm glad we picked Horford and Law. Both want to be here (Law said as much on a YOUTUBE clip I saw prior to the draft) and both have gone on record as wanting to help change the culture in Hawksville.

That said, let's all raise our middle fingers up in unison, tell Mr. Conley he can stuff his mouth with tissue and kiss our...

The problem is most people are going to understand why he would say these things. Of course it also means he doesn't have an once of class.

• Moderators

Quote:

He is from Arkansas and has family in Memphis.

Good for him.

No tell him to go #*$& off.

There is a difference between:

"I am so happy to be playing for Memphis in town with family and friends. This is where I wanted to be."

and

"I was praying the Hawks didn't take me."

He wants to tick off the people in Atlanta?

030501lincoln.jpg

That's my whole point. Honestly, the huge number of Hawks fans would have treated him like the next best thing since sliced bread, because he was filling a need Billy-Boy had long neglected. However, he basically pissed on the team, the city, and it's fans by saying, prior to the draft, he prayed we wouldn't take him.

Quote:

Tough spot for me on this one. On the one hand if I look at this objectively I don't think it's that big of a deal, and if the Hawks weren't my team I might find it funny.

I'm sure every guy in the draft dreads going to bottom teams and laughingstock franchises.

Plus, I really grew to love his game all last season and came to think of him as a very high quality character guy. And I don't think a quote like this changes that at all.

When I like a guy's game and like watching him prosper into teh league, I become a bit of a fan,a nd I was hoping he would have a great career. Still do in most ways.

But on the other hand, I hope the Hawks are aware of this quote and completely dominate him and the Grizz at every opportunity throughout his career. I hope that anywhere he plays over the years we will hold a competitive grudge and make sure his nights againsts the Hawks are always a living hell. That's great bulletin board material, hopefully just more motivation and an extra chip on everyone's shoulders.