• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Did......

Diesel

• Premium Member

Drafting Marvin over Chris Paul set this franchise back 5 years??

I was watching these guys on this youtube preview that you guys posted...

First off, somebody needs to teach them not to talk over each other and second off, they should know a little more about the teams if they are going to give previews..

However, is that what most "outsiders" believe... That drafting Marvin set the franchise back 5 years? That's a strong statement when you think about how long 5 years is in basketball terms.

So, what incidents have set the Hawks back at least 5 years?... I will start us off...

1. Drafting Koncak over Malone

2. Signing Blair Rasmussen and Ken Norman.

3. Trading Dominique for Danny Manning.

4. Trading Steve Smith for J.R. Rider.

Here are some to chew on... Not necessarily in the above list:

1. Trading Toni Kukoc for Big Dog?

2. Trading Deke for Theo/Nazr/Kukoc?

3. Drafting JT?

4. Trading Mookie?

Quote:

3. Drafting JT?

4. Trading Mookie?

I would say all the above deals are practical and fair from a market value perspective at the time they were made. Unusually, these moves are holding even in value to this day in hind site. In fact we got the better of #1 and #4 b/c each ended up in 1st round draft pics. None were GREAT moves but I would not call any of them BAD moves and would not even put them in the conversation of puting a franchise back for YEARS.

I fault Babcock and BK 0% for the above moves.

1. Toni for Big Dog / they were both pretty washed up any way. Tony played a few more games then Big Dog did since the trade was made but I think we conned the 76ers into a 1st round pick for Big Dog due to reputation before every one knew he was 100% washed up. Could never have gotten a 1st rounder for Toni b/c on paper Big Dog was younger and people thought he could get healthy and get his game back.

2. Deke for / Toni, Ratliff, and Nazr

Ratliff's contract was an abatross but we got rid of it. Again I think this was actually a good move for us. We needed bodies at the time this trade was made. Ratliff, Toni, and Nazr gave us some good years and we later flipped each one of them in seperate trades for more then we could have gotten for an older, resigned Deke.

3. Combining 3 & 4 b/c we traded Mookie for the JT draft pick. Drafting JT at #10, considering Baron Davis and Andre Miller were off the board, causes me to think it was the rational move. PG was the need. Mookie was washed up. He was traded at the right time. A #10 pic for a washed up 33 yearold Mookie was a steal Babcock did before he got canned. We had just been swept by the Knicks in the playoffs , who were the #8 seed and went on to the conference Finals in probably the worst Finals ever. (Ewing was hurt leavin Camby and LJ to guard Duncan and Mr. Robinson). Back to point- Mookie was washed up and we got back more then he was worth. I think he played 2 more season after we traded him for JT. Mookie would have been retired when we flipped JT for Walker. A. Walker later helped us get more assetts too. Right ?

Did A. Walker get us the Smoove pic ?

or

Was that Philly's pic from the Big Dog trade that got us Smoove?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

3. Drafting JT?

4. Trading Mookie?

I would say all the above deals are practical and fair from a market value perspective at the time they were made. Unusually, these moves are holding even in value to this day in hind site. In fact we got the better of #1 and #4 b/c each ended up in 1st round draft pics. None were GREAT moves but I would not call any of them BAD moves and would not even put them in the conversation of puting a franchise back for YEARS.

I fault Babcock and BK 0% for the above moves.

1. Toni for Big Dog / they were both pretty washed up any way. Tony played a few more games then Big Dog did since the trade was made but I think we conned the 76ers into a 1st round pick for Big Dog due to reputation before every one knew he was 100% washed up. Could never have gotten a 1st rounder for Toni b/c on paper Big Dog was younger and people thought he could get healthy and get his game back.

I would say that Toni fit the team better than Big Dog. Plus, we lost a 1st in the big dog trade. I forget where that pick was and who it became but the fact that Kukoc had put up 3 trip doubles before we let him go was indicative that this was a bad move. I think Toni was the only player we ever had that could compliment JT...

Quote:

2. Deke for / Toni, Ratliff, and Nazr

Ratliff's contract was an abatross but we got rid of it. Again I think this was actually a good move for us. We needed bodies at the time this trade was made. Ratliff, Toni, and Nazr gave us some good years and we later flipped each one of them in seperate trades for more then we could have gotten for an older, resigned Deke.

I think there was value in Toni and Nazr... but Deke carried Philly to the Championships that year.

Yea Diesel it did set us back 5 years, can you not talk about it no more cause it makes me sick to my stomach. I think it set us back more like 10 years because NOrleans has made the playoffs and we are not gonna make it in the next 10 years.

Just give it a rest it's old.. Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

• Premium Member

If you and many here would have read on past the one line, you would have noticed that the post is not even about Marvin. That was the inspiration from the question. The question was what moves have set our franchise back...

I thought putting that in bold would draw some one track minds attention, but I see that nothing ever does... The teabag coalition and their echo chamber is just too much.