• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

IS JJ in a Slump?

Diesel

Yeah, I was a bit worried too. Just cause JJ hasnt exploded for an easy preseason 30 yet.

But, Id be very surprised if he's not averaging 22-25 in the season. Heck, he could average more now that our other players should merit more attention from defenses (get him on your fantasy team yall).

I would be surprised to see JJ avg 20-25 with all the other scorers. I think he may be accepting another role as facilitator for Smoove, Chill and Marvin. This does not bother me as long as the offense is effective.

I do expect him to shoot a higher percentage during the season though he may not get but a few more shots. His scoring will be tied to his shooting %.

Star players tend to cruise during preseason. I think JJ is taking every open shot he has, without worrying about working on other aspects of his game.

Even tonight, he takes 14 total shots, but 9 of them are threes. Even that kind of percentage of threes taken, isn't like JJ.

But if he hits just two of those threes, it makes him 4 - 9 from three point range, and 5 - 14 overall. But it gives him 15 points . . 8 rebounds . . and 8 assists, a pretty dang good game, by most accounts.

Keep this in mind guys. JJ put up 9 points, 8 rebounds, and 8 assists . . . in 22 minutes of PT.

His shooting percentage is down, only because he's not looking to take the ball to the hole and hit the 7 - 10 foot floater in the lane. Every shot he took tonight, was from 15 feet and out.

His main problem, is that he's not hitting that 16 - 21 foot jumpshot with the accuracy we're used to seeing from him.

I am not the least bit worried about JJ. I don't think the preseason is a big deal for a proven player like him.

I can remember so many games last year when JJ started off shooting like crap only to light it up in the second half.

If he shoots 3-14 in a real game then i will start worrying.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I am not the least bit worried about JJ. I don't think the preseason is a big deal for a proven player like him.

I can remember so many games last year when JJ started off shooting like crap only to light it up in the second half.

Who cares whether anybody is in a slump except when they don't recognize that they are in a slump and stop shooting. We have enough alternatives and shouldn't be concerned about one player scoring 20 points per game just because. Those boys were balling tonight with 29 assist and shooting over 50% from the field without joe's numbers. They we also taking the ball to the hole and the interior passing was great! This aint no one man show anymore so get use to it!

Quote:

I agree.

Quote:

Quote:

Who cares whether anybody is in a slump except when they don't recognize that they are in a slump and stop shooting. We have enough alternatives and shouldn't be concerned about one player scoring 20 points per game just because. Those boys were balling tonight with 29 assist and shooting over 50% from the field without joe's numbers. They we also taking the ball to the hole and the interior passing was great! This aint no one man show anymore so get use to it!

Peoria, had JJ stayed in the game for the usual 30 minutes that he's been getting this preseason, he would've had a triple-double. Jason Kidd has had plenty of nights that JJ had tonight.

LMAO @ this ain't no one-man show. Come on now Peoria. Do you honestly think that we can get solid performances out of the Joshes and Marvin every single night? If you truly believe that, then people need to start talking about how the Hawks are going to win 50+ games this year, not barely be over .500

I don't think Smoove, Chill, and Marvin have EVER had a game in which they ALL scored over 20 points in the same game.

But if you truly think that this isn't a "one-man" show anymore, this team is going to win 50 games easily.

The complimentary players to JJ are definitely better, but we'll still need JJ to score anywhere from 20 - 24 ppg every night, in order for us to win. I hope we can get away with him scoring 19 - 20 ppg, with him shooting a very high percentage from the field and from 3.

On most nights, this team is still going to live and die by how well JJ shoots, until multiple people on this team can prove that they can be a viable scoring option. If he was missing wide open shots tonight, I can live with that. He usually knocks those down.

• Premium Member

Quote:

LMAO @ this ain't no one-man show. Come on now Peoria. Do you honestly think that we can get solid performances out of the Joshes and Marvin every single night? If you truly believe that, then people need to start talking about how the Hawks are going to win
50+ games
this year, not barely be over .500

we do have Zaza, Horford, Lue, & Law on the team also!

Quote:

I don't think Smoove, Chill, and Marvin have EVER had a game in which they ALL scored over 20 points in the same game.

Had Kobe score 81 points in a game before last year?

Quote:

But if you truly think that this isn't a "one-man" show anymore, this team is going to win 50 games easily.

Not necessarily true! Did Denver win 50 games last year with Carmelo & Iverson?

Quote:

The complimentary players to JJ are definitely better, but we'll still need JJ to score anywhere from 20 - 24 ppg every night, in order for us to win.

I respectfully disagree! We were not 0-30 with JJ out of the line-up last year!

Quote:

Star players tend to cruise during preseason. I think JJ is taking every open shot he has, without worrying about working on other aspects of his game.

May not be what you're trying to say, but from listening to the game JJ seemed to be pretty focused on his overall game in addition to jacking shots. His shot was off and he was probably too aggressive with the shots he was taking, but he put up excellent rebounding and assist numbers for a shooting guard.

Just the THREAT of JJ's 3 point shooting opens up the lane for Marvin, Smoove and Chillz to make plays slashing to the basket and it allows Horford to get one on one situations in the post. If JJ stops taking that shot, the lane is going to be clogged, making it more difficult for our athletic guys to go to work.

Quote:

Just the THREAT of JJ's 3 point shooting opens up the lane for Marvin, Smoove and Chillz to make plays slashing to the basket and it allows Horford to get one on one situations in the post. If JJ stops taking that shot, the lane is going to be clogged, making it more difficult for our athletic guys to go to work.

And his 3 pt shot helps us a hell of a lot more than it hurts us.

Quote:

Quote:

And his 3 pt shot helps us a hell of a lot more than it hurts us.

Only when it goes in 40% of the time or higher

I'd say around 36/37% or higher. Around 35% I start to get uncomfortable. Down to 30% and I'm disgusted.

40% is pretty dang strong and few guys in the NBA keep it up at that rate. It does stretch the D and open up more lanes for everyone else, so even below 40% it has a larger effect than whether that shot falls or not.

Everyone in the NBA respects his 3 point jumper. Without that weapon he's much more limited as it decreases his ability to get seperataion for his drive and pull up J, and it let's the D cheat on passing lanes more easily.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'd say around 36/37% or higher. Around 35% I start to get uncomfortable. Down to 30% and I'm disgusted.

40% is pretty dang strong and few guys in the NBA keep it up at that rate. It does stretch the D and open up more lanes for everyone else, so even below 40% it has a larger effect than whether that shot falls or not.

Everyone in the NBA respects his 3 point jumper. Without that weapon he's much more limited as it decreases his ability to get seperataion for his drive and pull up J, and it let's the D cheat on passing lanes more easily.

I hear you! But to be honest with you, I just want to see smart basketball! I've always though that Childress plays with a high Basketball IQ and so does Marvin in that they don't force things. So if Joe is taking rhythm 3's within the offense, I have no problem with it. But if he is forcing shots for average, then I have a problem with him.