• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Path to playoffs just got a little harder.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Heat trades Antoine Walker, others to Minnesota for Ricky Davis and Mark Blount

Quote:

The Heat acquired Davis and center Mark Blount from the Timberwolves in a five-player deal that sends center Michael Doleac, forwards Antoine Walker and Wayne Simien as well as a future conditional first-round pick to Minnesota.

I don't think so really. Blount is a bum and average NBA player at best. Davis is a ballhog and will just take shots away from Wade which is a good thing. So I don't see this move really hurting us IMO. Were still a better team overall when healthy.

• Premium Member

Ricky Davis is one of the more efficient ballhogs in the league then. (This guy has an unwarranted reputation. He's not the same "ballhog" or "cancer" people make him out to be. If he's a cancer, then Josh Smith is as well).

Don't be silly. Blount is a great 3rd string center, and Davis fills a HUGE void on that team. It hurts the Heat in the long-term, but barring a season-ending injury to Shaq or Wade, I expect them to be in the playoffs.

I had my doubts before this trade.

Quote:

Quote:

The Heat acquired Davis and center Mark Blount from the Timberwolves in a five-player deal that sends center Michael Doleac, forwards Antoine Walker and Wayne Simien as well as a future conditional first-round pick to Minnesota.

I don't get what you are saying. As long as Wade and Shaq are healthy they are going to be in the playoffs regardless of who else is on the roster.

Quote:

Ricky Davis is one of the more efficient ballhogs in the league then. (This guy has an unwarranted reputation. He's not the same "ballhog" or "cancer" people make him out to be. If he's a cancer, then Josh Smith is as well).

While in Boston Davis was horrible. Ball movement stopped when the ball got in his hands. He took shots away from Pierce and didn't keep others involved in the offense. He makes more bone-headed plays than anyone I have watched regularly. Showboats anytime he gets a chance, to the detriment of his team.

I imagine the Heat will not have him on the floor at the same time as Wade. Ricky is there to take up the scoring for Wade during rests and at the beginning of the season as Wade recovers from surgery.

Quote:

Don't be silly. Blount is a great 3rd string center, and Davis fills a HUGE void on that team. It hurts the Heat in the long-term, but barring a season-ending injury to Shaq or Wade, I expect them to be in the playoffs.

Blount had ONE good year. He got paid and then returned to the hands of stone, no lateral movement, slow to get back on defense player that he was before he got paid.

That all said. Miami still gets the better of the deal since Walker is an out-of-shape chucker who doesn't get team basketball, and the other guys are just filler.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't get what you are saying. As long as Wade and Shaq are healthy they are going to be in the playoffs regardless of who else is on the roster.

Oh, sure. But Shaq is practically guaranteed to miss 20 games, and Wade at least 10. Before this trade, they had next to nothing at SF, and were counting on Zo as their backup center.

He has been traded quite a few times and I can't think of a single team that he made better one he got there. In fact, most of the teams that traded him got better after he left.

I think he will give the Heat some desperately needed scoring in Wade's absence but I don't think he is a good fit at all playing alongside Wade once Wade comes back. Davis needs the ball in his hands a lot to be effective and he won't get the ball very much with Wade on the floor. He is more of a scorer than a spot up shooter so he won't be consistently knocking down the jumper when Shaq and/or Wade gets doubled. He doesn't defend much either.

We beat Minnesota twice last year (once without JJ) and they had KG, Davis and Blount both times. Davis doesn't worry me. The key to Miami's success is the health of Wade and Shaq. If either of those guys are hurt, they are not going to be very good.

• Premium Member

I don't think exchanging Walker for Davis has ANY chance of making them a worse team. While Davis has struggled recently to help his team get to the playoffs, Walker has a far worse record.

'Toine may in fact have been the worst player in the NBA at times last year.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and if they miss significant games, Davis won't carry them to playoffs.