• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

How good - Bad are the Hawks?

Gray Mule

Let us pause here as the Hawks make their final preparation for the upcoming season. We put the draft and pre-season games in the rear view mirror. The season is yet a week away, so just how good or how bad are our Hawks?

We have read those "expert" sportswriters who give Atlanta a chance to be only one spot off the bottom of the standings, despite the fact we didn't even finish that low last season. We have one or two die hard pessimist here on Hawksquawk who would agree with this.

Then, we have those who are optimistic about this season, thinking that we really have improved quiet a bit. We might even destroy that doremat name we have deserved in the past. We might win a lot of games and end up high in the standings and in the playoff seedings.

The truth probably lise somewhere in between those two ideas. A decent start is essential for us. A prime example of a terrible start can be found in the Thrashers. Hoping for a good season, their 2-8 record finds them with the worst record in the NHL. The Hawks musn't have this type of early season breakdown. It's too hard to overcome.

So, pause now and reflect. How will our season shape up. Can we win our portion of those early games? Can we make some noise early and make people sit up and take notice? Or, will we fall on our face as the Thrashers have done and validate those sports writers who believe Atlanta is doomed from the beginning?

confused.gif

As far of strides as we have made.A bad start is looking us in the face.Our 1st Ten games are gonna decide if this team has risen to the next level or just gotten marginally better.Im not saying were gonna start 10-0 but i do think we have a chance to really get the word out that were serious if we can get by Dallas and PHX,there no cupcakes but we can do it.

But remember..last year i think we started off 4-1(yes i know injurys) so im not gonna put all my cookies in the jar.Fast start,Slow start the NBA season is a marathon, not a race

The great thing about the start of a new season is that everyone are optimistic about their team. Teams are still 0-0 and everyone have high hopes. At this time I'm very optimistic. However about 10 to 15 games into the season, reality sets in and thats when you know what kind of record your team is capable of. I'm hoping that that the Hawks will win about 45 games and be the 6th or 7th seed. I hope that the long NBA season don't wear out our rookies and the injury bug don't hit us like it did last year. Since I canceled my Asia flight due to my Grandfather's death are anyone of yall going to the game against Dallas? I'm thinking about going if I can make it back to Atlanta that weekend.

This team has so many guys who are on the verge of breaking out and we really dont know a lot about there improvements yet. We also have 2 rookies who should expect to see a lot of time, so I would wait for at least a week or 2 and see this team play 5-8 games before i decide. With the new faces and emerging stars, Im ready to see the way woodson manages all the young talent on this team and distribution of minutes.

Quote:

We have read those "expert" sportswriters who give Atlanta a chance to be only one spot off the bottom of the standings, despite the fact we didn't even finish that low last season. We have one or two die hard pessimist here on Hawksquawk who would agree with this.

Then, we have those who are optimistic about this season, thinking that we really have improved quiet a bit. We might even destroy that doremat name we have deserved in the past. We might win a lot of games and end up high in the standings and in the playoff seedings.

...not as bad as many of the sportswirters would suggest.

You can't help but get better when you have a king's worth of draft capitol. Better doesn't win titles. We're a long way off from that, behind where we should be, and presumably without the needed superstar and with too many, too expensive lottery dissappointments to keep this together much longer.

My hope? We can trade a few of our many lotto dissappointments for 1 more high lotto pick or a better, cheaper prospect. We'll see.

W