• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

AJC.com: JJ speaks - Hawks need to make a trade...

flava

Quote:

WOW, a lot of you are really making this into more than it is.

JJ's absolutely right, nothing's been done in free agency or with trades to help this team. He says he loves the guys he has, but in order to play with the big boys we'll need to do more. And he's absolutely right.

His teammates HAVEN'T stepped up yet. We all expect them to and hope they will, but we haven't played a single game yet. This should have a little sobering effect so no one (fans or players) starting counting wins before they hatch.

He's absolutely right. Now if his teammates want to become champions, let them prove him wrong and become superstars.

I see nothing wrong with what he said or the timing of when he said it. He's tired of losing, he needs help. if the guys on the roster can blossom - awesome. If not, we will need to make moves or we'll be in the dumpster for another 5+ years.

Tough love ain't so bad.

I agree completely. so why do Walter and I get ripped for saying the same thing? It's not like it isn't obvious. I'm hoping for the best, too. But facts are facts, and if you've ever played basketball, not once or twice but as a lifestyle, you would know that our players don't do all of the little things it takes to win. Until we get new players, what can any of us really expect?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why cry until your hurt?

Because JJ has sat through this for 2 years now and begged publically for a trade LAST YEAR (for Gasol...anybody). My god he's got to be bleeding on the inside. That's why I said that when JJ talks (about Chris Paul being an awesome player and teamate or needing a trade) people should GD listen and read between the lines. He isn't saying such things without trying to make a greater point. He wouldn't waste his breath. Frankly, this talk essentially says to me he's fed up totally. TOTALLY.

W

Joe has came down to reality.

If I remember correctly, he didn't have a problem with playing PG when the Hawks first traded for him. Now, he doesn't want that role. He wanted to be the guy and now he knows he is a Robin and not a Batman.

I think you are right. He may have wanted to be a Batman before, but he most definitely seems to be a Robin. He may have come to terms with that.

Quote:

Quote:

Why the hell say/post this right before the season???????

Agreed!

Couple of points. It's nice to have a leader that doesn't run off at the mouth all the time. Talk becomes cheap.

Also, that a number of the major players in the NBA are on their down side as far as their playing days. Shaq clearly, Kobe it is mentioned repeatedly, KG, etc. They have to win NOW. With all of our youth we have the guys to be contenders for years. And if one or more of our young guys break out we will be contenders sooner than later. And it's been done without morgaging the farm.

Where do you buy your Kool-Aid, again?

It wouldn't surprise me if BK was behind these comments, in order to prepare fans for some big trades in the coming year. If you want to get something, you are going to have to give something, and we all know how close the decisions are on certain Hawks players, whether to keep them, or trade them.

• Moderators

I totally agree about the timing being all wrong unless his aim is to put pressure on BK to trade for Kobe. All other deals are not likely to be made at this point in the year and he could easily damage morale with comments like this.

• Moderators

Quote:

It wouldn't surprise me if BK was behind these comments, in order to prepare fans for some big trades in the coming year. If you want to get something, you are going to have to give something, and we all know how close the decisions are on certain Hawks players, whether to keep them, or trade them.

BK doesn't strike me as someone who wants to set the bar higher for what is expected from him. He wants the last laugh, not hype that he might not be able to live up to. Remember, it takes two parties to make a trade work.

Quote:

I totally agree about the timing being all wrong unless his aim is to put pressure on BK to trade for Kobe. All other deals are not likely to be made at this point in the year and he could easily damage morale with comments like this.

I don't understand why people keep bringing up Kobe.

He has a no trade clause... he'd most likely veto a trade to the Hawks.

Quote:

You could very well be right GST. Since JJ doesn't speak out that much and seems to be a compnay man, this may have been calculated. It might be a challenge to our younger guys to fire them up too.

Hopefully he's not just honestly frustrated and concerned about the talent level he sees on this team. With the first five games we have to play - I think Friday is key. We need to win that game if at all possible. I don't know who we are gonna have inside to challenge Diop though - he looks like a monster this year.

• Premium Member

Yeah, I really don't think JJ just recently said this. Publishers OFTEN post new articles containing quotes that are over a month old. That being said, I still don't see how this would hurt chemistry or anything, it's not like he singled any individual players out. Everyone on this team knows they aren't title contenders, he didn't exactly make some off the wall comments.

This is a non issue.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand why people keep bringing up Kobe.

He has a no trade clause... he'd most likely veto a trade to the Hawks.

There is one star who is publically being shopped right now and his name is Kobe. That is why I brought him up. No other star is going to be moved this time of year.

Personally, I don't think that Kobe would ever be traded to Atlanta. If Kobe talked with JJ and JJ thought this could happen, then I understand him trying to increase public pressure while Kobe is being shopped. Otherwise, the timing makes no sense to me.

In terms of team moreale, this type of comment is pretty far from a rallying cry. The Hawks need to be building themselves up so they believe they can make the playoffs with this squad. I think any comment to the contrary should be made behind closed doors rather than in front of the team, the media or the public. Right now, JJ should be actively selling the team to the public rather than telling Hawks fans that he is not excited about this squad and they shouldn't be either. If this article is a stale interview that Sekou sat on (and I can't imagine why he would have), then JJ doesn't bear the blame for the timing.

Just my $.02.

Quote:

JJ has for the most part gone untouch in terms of being criticized. However, this one he stuck his foot in his mouth. He knew damn well what he was getting into. What great FA has there been the last two seasons that we could have went after and got? The team tried the FA market. Look what it got us. A lockerroom guy and a bum knee PG. I think it might be best for JJ to lead by example instead of words. If he is close to Woodson and Woodson get off to a terrible start. Is JJ going to demand a trade if Woodson is fired?

Could have traded for Gasol, maybe

Yeah if we could trade Clankston, Salim and a draft choice for a decent vet that would be great JJ. However now is not the time for talking about trading away key memebers on your squad. If we were 0-12 maybe BUT ITS ALMOST OPENING NIGHT FOR GOD SAKE, we played well in preseason. BAD TIMEING !!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I don't like the timing at all either.

I hope this isn't a sign that Joe thinks the team he has is horrible, and that we don't have a shot at the playoffs without a veteran star.

I hope it is just a matter of Joe not being a GM and not thinking about the long term. Not thinking about all the pieces you'd lose in a trade or that you might make the playoffs for a few years, but once that's over, you'll have to rebuild again.

The timing definitely sucks though. I'd much rather see an article about Joe's high hopes for the season and the progress our young players are making. I guess that isn't the way he feels though.