• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JJ sends message to team: No more 'coddling'

HAWKS1986

Joe Johnson might not say a whole lot, but he wants to win. He is tired of the 'we're too young' BS. JJ is a young man himself. The average age of this team is 25 and 2007 is a pivotal year for Marvin Williams, Josh Childress , Josh Smith and even Shelden Williams. All these guys were picked in the first round and they have been together for a few years.

It's time for their talent to emerge.

Joe Johnson's comments in the Journal Constitution may be looked as a Michael Jordan moment. He is openly holding management and his teammates accountable and he should. The team finished 7-1 in the preseason and that's great, but the real season begins against a tough Dallas team.

Can this team play enough defense? Will Marvin and Childress disappear down the stretch of a close game?

JJ's comments suggesting the need for a up and coming veteran means what we currently have isn't enough.

Is Marvin ready to show up every night and be accountable? Is Josh Childress new found offensive aggressiveness just facade for the preseason? Are we mentally tough enough to handle adversity?

This Hawks team shouldn't have long losing streaks for 2007. There is enough talent to break even and make the playoffs, but outside of JJ and Josh Smith, who will emerge and show up EVERY NIGHT-- especially in the fourth quarter of close games?

JJ's comments should be seen as a cold blanket, but a challenge that his teammates are willing to accept..

No more 'coddling', but time for accountability.

Quote:

No more 'coddling', but time for accountability.

Last year when JJ begged for a trade for Gasol it was a usually silent, desperate man crying for help. This year it is calculated. However, whether it is calculated for this reason or not is to be seen. JJ may simply want out if this doesn't turn around today. Who could blame him.

W

I can blame him. He has been through the worst and now that we have some upside and experience he needs to shut the hell up and play ball. He's paid more here than anyone else would have paid him. He wanted a chance to be the man, be the man and lead.

Today's NBA has too many players all about themselves. Don't tell me Joe isn't smart enough to know what he was coming into. This franchise was in dire straights and needed massive rebuilding.

Joe got his feelings hurt in PHX and wanted to be the man. He got 70M bucks to come and lead the rebuilding effort. Were almost there and he speaks up before the biggest opening night we have had in years.

Stupid move. Joe needs to lead, that's what supposed superstars do.

Quote:

I can blame him. He has been through the worst and now that we have some upside and experience he needs to shut the hell up and play ball. He's paid more here than anyone else would have paid him. He wanted a chance to be the man, be the man and lead.

Today's NBA has too many players all about themselves. Don't tell me Joe isn't smart enough to know what he was coming into. This franchise was in dire straights and needed massive rebuilding.

Joe got his feelings hurt in PHX and wanted to be the man. He got 70M bucks to come and lead the rebuilding effort. Were almost there and he speaks up before the biggest opening night we have had in years.

Only, Joe is not a superstar.

Can you provide a link to these comments so that we get the context?

If JJ did say its time for everyone to step up, then he's correct. Is he setting up to leave, who knows, but I like the comments as he's putting the heat on the front office.

Its time for BK to step-up and get the right players to fill out the roster. The Hawks have a massive amount of young talent, but one of the forwards needs to be moved for size and post offense. IMO, the current roster is an 8-7 seed in the East, with a vet center, that seeding could go a few spots higher.

Quote:

My mistake, I see the article in another thread (why is there another thread on this then???).

Fellow posters, lets try to keep all comments in a single thread please. When one logs into HS, one tends to read the top thread first. Creating multiple threads on the same issue is counterproductive and, at times, confusing. The idea of a message board is to have a single discussion about a topic contained in a single thread. This allows people to come into the conversation at different time points and still post relevant information.

Sorry for the rant, I will get off the soap box now.

weeds.gifsoapbox.gifhippy.gif

Quote:

I agree with all of this.

If you wanna get paid like a superstar, you have to act like one.

I mean, Id like to see a trade too (I think its necessary), but the timing of this makes me sick to my stomach.

Quote:

I feel the same, TP. Joe has to become a more vocal, visible leader on the court.

Quote:

The comment was just before the trade deadline last year. JJ asked for a trade for a veteran and specifically mentioned Gasol. Previously, after his Olympic team experience, JJ mentioned repeatedly how great it was to play with Chris Paul even when that was known to be a sore subject within the Hawks having drafted MW.

JJ is one of those rare individuals. IF HE SPEAKS AT ALL he's speaking volumes more than whatever he says. Asking for a trade at the trade deadline was an absolute desperate cry for help, a player at the end of his rope. Do not confuse JJ not jumping up and down with acceptance of his situation. He did and does not accept it. He has had only lip service from this management and ownership when it comes to the help he was promised. He won't rant and rave, but it is up to the team management to listen harder for JJ because of his demeanor.

Just like JJ won't pull himself out of a game E-V-E-R and the coach has a greater responsibility with him to keep him safe by not playing him through an obvious injury 44 minutes for a meaningless game, he won't demand a trade or yell and scream his displeasure so management you has to respect and respond to any voicig of displeasure or else JJ can only escalate. Guaranteed JJ has many, MANY times brought his concerns privately to management! Anyone here really think that BK responds appropriately to JJ's concerns? I don't. I simply don't see BK appreciating anyone in any way questioning his "plan" and I see him essentially snubbing JJ in this instance. JJ is absolutely NOT someone to bring anything public unless he's exhausted all of his private communication.

Anyhow, I might be able to find the links but it would take some digging. Rest assured they did occur as described.

W