• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woodson and JJ give props to last night crowd

WraithSentinel

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h...ksnot_1103.html

Joe Johnson swears he's never seen a sight like he saw when the dust cleared from the opening ceremonies. The sellout crowd of 19,767 at Philips Arena was the most raucous home crowd he said he can remember since joining the team two years ago. "That was ridiculous," Johnson said after the game. "If we keep taking care of business, they'll keep packing it out like this, and that'll be something to see." Woodson concurred, calling it the best opening night crowd he can remember in his four seasons as coach. "Our fans were great," Woodson said. "For me to walk in that arena and see that packed house, it's special man. It's just special. I just hope they keep coming back."

------

If the Hawks can keep this up. The fans will be there. After the Falcons collapse. The fans are looking for a new team to cheer on.

It was an outstanding crowd and a lot of fun. I'm interested to see the crowd for the Phoenix game because it's a week night, but it's Phoenix's only trip here and there seems to be a lot of excitement building for this team right now (even outside of hawksquawk).

Quote:

Does anyone think that Phoenix will take a step back this year?

Nash is getting older, and Shawn Marrion is really unhappy, and I think Amare's health is still a little bit of a concern. I think they finish in the middle of the conference this year.

Not to mention they keep selling their 1st round picks for cash.

I still expect them to be strong though.

Quote:

Phoenix is beatable...If they play a perfect game or a really good one, we are probably in trouble. But, if they play like they did vs. the Lakers or in the first half vs. the Sonics, we have a good shot at 'em.

Detroit is gonna be tough.

You're probably right. If every team plays horrible against us, we have a good shot.

The Suns will be tough but the Suns also play no defense. I watched the Lakers get to the rack with no resistance time after time. The Suns are not a title contender until they play some defense. As opposed to none.

Now, their capable of playing much better defense than they have played so far. It's only 2 games but the defense has been as bad as Golden States.

I also noticed that Nash must be attacked. Nash simply cannot play defense at all. His lateral movement, while never great, is gone now totally. Nash is a huge liability on defense and I think that teams are going to start making the Suns pay by exposing Nash. When your PG allows his man in your paint time after time the defense gets broken down.

I thought PHX might be on a mission this year and would possibly win it all. Adding Hill did nothing for their defense and I am no longer favoring the Suns until they play better defense. And with Nash making T-Lue look like a lock down defender, the Suns can't win the title.

Quote:

The Suns will be tough but the Suns also play no defense. I watched the Lakers get to the rack with no resistance time after time. The Suns are not a title contender until they play some defense. As opposed to none.

Now, their capable of playing much better defense than they have played so far. It's only 2 games but the defense has been as bad as Golden States.

I also noticed that Nash must be attacked. Nash simply cannot play defense at all. His lateral movement, while never great, is gone now totally. Nash is a huge liability on defense and I think that teams are going to start making the Suns pay by exposing Nash. When your PG allows his man in your paint time after time the defense gets broken down.

I thought PHX might be on a mission this year and would possibly win it all. Adding Hill did nothing for their defense and I am no longer favoring the Suns until they play better defense. And with Nash making T-Lue look like a lock down defender, the Suns can't win the title.

I was thinking about this...if they put Nash on Law at any point in the game, he will be able to do anything he wants in the game. Nash is an abysmal defender, and Law is far too quick for him.

It was a pretty cool site to see.

Even the 400 section was sold out.

I remember the 1st year in Phillips it got packed out but I don't think the energy ever got like that.

We have seen sell outs before but this time the crowd was 90% pro Hawks !

When Lebron or Kobe come to town they will pack the house but the fan support is divided between the visiting superstar and the home team.

Opening night was different. What made it special is 90% of the sellout crowd was their to support the home team. Hope this is the start to a new era of Hawks bsketball.