• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Positive notes on Smith

exodus

Quote:

It's interesting that for so many years now we've been debating exactly what Josh Smith is and to date we still can't answer that question with any certainty.

We knew that he was a project when we drafted him. While he has progressed much faster than expected he is still a bit of a project.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All of these posts are dead on. One thing I would like to see from him is learning to block shots so you can recover them. Swatting them into the seats is fun, but change of posession is better.

Smith blocked at least 2 shots that led to turnovers last night. He blocked Maxiell on a dunk once, but you can't control where a blocked dunk will go. I remember one time he blocked Hamilton straight back, then jumped up and got it. I haven't seen him swatting in the seats so far this year.

Someone is reading too much Sports Illustrated. uglyhammer.gif

Not really sure what that means confused.gif

Not you. Know nothing, extremely critical, Sports Illustrated scouts were yapping about how Smoove sends all blocks to the stands. We had a big thread about that last week. I was just adding to your response to Duffman.

I have noticed he has been doing better at this, I just hope it stays that way...that was one of my big gripes for him, even though it isn't all that big of one.

And, I haven't read an SI in over 5 years. headbang.gif

Well the first clue to validate your point is that he worked with a small PG and a center during the off-season. What was he thinking? That he would push the ball up the court, dribble between his legs, around his back and get into the low block and then do the dream shake and hit a fade-away shot? UGGHH!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He's a slashing PF.Same thing Dirk Nowitzki is.

LOL. They are like twins. uglyhammer.gif Are there any two power forwards more different than these two?

Smoove is not a PF. munching_out.gif

I don't give a rat's a$$ whether he thinks he is a PF or SF at this point. As long as he thinks he is not a Point Guard, I'll shut up about the SF issue for a month.

For as bad as he has played.... He has two double doubles in two games and thats him not even playing in the post much can imagine if he was playing inside just imagine when he does have a breakout game. Its way too early to knock this kid a he makes mistakes that he needs to fix right away but he is one of our best players and will improve.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He's a slashing PF.Same thing Dirk Nowitzki is.

LOL. They are like twins. uglyhammer.gif Are there any two power forwards more different than these two?

Smoove is not a PF. munching_out.gif

Given his perimeter display the past two games it is even more apparent he isn't a SF.

Quote:

LOL. They are like twins.
uglyhammer.gif
Are there any two power forwards more different than these two?

He's a slashing PF who doesn't mind taking perimeter shots

Sure Dirk is more of a pure scorer and obviously his biggest strengths are Smoove's big weakness right now, but in terms of how Josh Smith attacks offensively, the point is he tries to use his athleticism at the position as a mismatch by taking his defender off the dribble or getting higher elevation than his opponent.

He is averaging 17 PPG and that is without developing that perimeter or mid range game to a tee. That is without developing that post game that he's trying to acquire.

If Smoove got any of those levels up to par he would be an offensive juggernaut.

Quote:

Quote:

LOL. They are like twins.
uglyhammer.gif
Are there any two power forwards more different than these two?

He's a slashing PF who doesn't mind taking perimeter shots

Sure Dirk is more of a pure scorer and obviously his biggest strengths are Smoove's big weakness right now, but in terms of how Josh Smith attacks offensively, the point is he tries to use his athleticism at the position as a mismatch by taking his defender off the dribble or getting higher elevation than his opponent.

He is averaging 17 PPG and that is without developing that perimeter or mid range game to a tee. That is without developing that post game that he's trying to acquire.

If Smoove got any of those levels up to par he would be an offensive juggernaut.

If Smoove had Dirk's skills he would have been an all time great. If Dirk had Smoove's athleticism, he would be the greatest player ever and they'd go 80-2 and fo-fo-fo. No similarity whatsoever.

• Admin

Sorry but no, he's no more a slasher than he is a PF. His step is quick enough to get him by many PF's, but he doesn't have the handles to pull it off under pressure. He'd lead the league in turnovers, maybe even set an all time record, if we let him try that regularly.

In my opinion Smoove needs to play the garbage player role ala Dennis Rodman. Smoove has a below average shot and below average handles but can change games with his athletisism, defense and rebounding. I am not saying he could be the rebounder Rodman was but use the same approach by playing near the basket offensively and stay away from the 3 point line or trying to lead breaks.