• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

My Thoughts 2 games in.....

KB21

Quote:

Redd is one dimensional. JJ plays complete game."

How can JJ score other than his jumpshot?

"

That hawks team was starving for more scoring from all other positions. Have you forgotten that? Hawks could have won a championship if Smitty could score 5 more ppg."

The Hawks never had a shot at beating the Chicago Bulls even if Smith averaged 25PPG.

Its debatable. Lets stick to the point. Your point that Smitty could have scored more in a weaker team is wrong, because his team played with 2 all nba defensive players and really needed Smitty to score a few more points. You have no answer to that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And JJ is the one coming through time and again in crunch time just like he did the last two games. He started 1-5 last night but went off in the second half. he also hit back to back 3s to give the Hawks a chance at the end.

Did you miss something? I said JJ could play like a star in SPURTS. But he is not a superstar overall.

I never said Steve had a better jumpshot. However, who cares about shooting percentages? Are you saying you'd rather have JJ over Lebron? Smith had more skills as a scorer.

Quote:

Not only is JJ a better 3 pt shooter he is also one of the best in the league at finishing in the paint. You might not like his floater but it is money.

Don't know about that site, but when I watch games rarely do I see JJ do anything other than shoot jumpshots.

Quote:

Last year JJ shot 60% on shots inside which just so happens to be the same percentage as Tim Duncan.

What's your point? JJ=Duncan in the paint? lol that's rich.

Quote:

Quote:

[ Steve Smith also lead the Hawks to the playoffs and played with other scorers. You think JJ would average 25PPG If the Hawks had other legit scorers?..

You took the words right out of my mouth detective.gif

JJ sure wouldn't shoot as low as 44% playing with other legit scorers.

And who were the other big scorers on that team? Deke? Mookie? LOL

They needed Smith to score more but he couldn't.

Quote:

Quote:

Redd is one dimensional. JJ plays complete game."

How can JJ score other than his jumpshot?

"

That hawks team was starving for more scoring from all other positions. Have you forgotten that? Hawks could have won a championship if Smitty could score 5 more ppg."

The Hawks never had a shot at beating the Chicago Bulls even if Smith averaged 25PPG.

Its debatable. Lets stick to the point. Your point that Smitty could have scored more in a weaker team is wrong, because his team played with 2 all nba defensive players and really needed Smitty to score a few more points. You have no answer to that.

Yes. I do. Those Hawk teams had halfcourt offenses and would often run the clock down quite abit (unless Mookie was shooting)and that played apart in scoring. Don't tell me that you don't remember those slow drain the clock out offenses.

It's not debatable at all. The Hawks had not shot at beating Chicago. Atlanta surely wasn't as good as Utah.

I agree that it would be a major let down if we didn't make the playoffs.

This is the sseason I thought should be our playoff year 2 years ago when I thought both Marvin and Smoove would be vets.

I thought we could have the big time trio.

I had not even factored in an Acie Law and Al Horford to make a complete starting 5.

Talent wise we are arguably the most talented team in the league with those guys.

But obviously the inexperience and still need for refining of skills like Smoove's shooting and Horford's post game will not reflect that in our records.

But that talent still should at least lead to a playoff seed.

Quote:

Smiths best year here was 97/98 when he averaged 20 pts shooting 44%. He got the the line 6 times per game.

Last year JJ averaged 25 ppg shooting 47% and got to the line 5.5 times per game.

Smith wasn't even close to JJ.

Even Smiity admits that JJ is a better player than he was. And Ex, what's amazing about those numbers you posted here, is that JJ did that WITHOUT a decent PG passing him the ball. It's almost unheard of for a SG to shoot that high of a percentage, without a good to great PG getting him the ball in the right spots.

Here's a stat to show just how good JJ is.

40% of his shots were assisted. That's the same percentage as Kobe Bryant. T-Mac was at 42%. The great Dwyane Wade was at a ridiculous 27%.

Michael Redd saw 57% of his shots coming via assists. A guy like Rip Hamilton saw 68% of his shots coming via someone else passing to him. That's a big difference. JJ's assisted shot numbers are in the superstar range, not star range.

In these 2 games, JJ has seen only 33% of his shots coming via an assist. That's in the same category of a Lebron or a Wade

JJ's problem might be that he doesn't take enough bad shots, like most of the other superstars do. Instead, he'll try to find a more open man, instead of taking an off-balance shot.

I know for a fact that at least 3 of Smoove's long jumpers in the past 2 games, have come off of JJ passing him the ball as the shot clock is windind down, instead of taking the tough shot himself.

But yet, people will praise that goofball Arenas, before they do JJ.

Quote:

Quote:

is bs. There is nothing that Smith did better than JJ in terms of scoring.

Steve Smith was a very good postup SG. Joe Johnson doesn't even really have that skill at all.

How many games have you watched the last two years?

You can't fool me i know you didn't watch hardly any. You admitted as much.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

[ Steve Smith also lead the Hawks to the playoffs and played with other scorers. You think JJ would average 25PPG If the Hawks had other legit scorers?..

You took the words right out of my mouth detective.gif

JJ sure wouldn't shoot as low as 44% playing with other legit scorers.

And who were the other big scorers on that team? Deke? Mookie? LOL

They needed Smith to score more but he couldn't.

JJ hasn't played in the type of offense Smitty played in as a Hawk either. One of the most dreadful offenses I've ever seen as a fan. If I had not been a fan, I would have fallen asleep when the Hawks were on offense back in those days.

Look at say Rip Hamilton. Notice that Rip's shooting numbers have went up since Flip Saunders has been the coach and the team has lost it's more grit style of offense.

But like I said, I look to argue in terms of skillset, which is more important than shooting percentages.

Quote:

40% of his shots were assisted. That's the same percentage as Kobe Bryant. T-Mac was at 42%. The great Dwyane Wade was at a ridiculous 27%.

Michael Redd saw 57% of his shots coming via assists. A guy like Rip Hamilton saw 68% of his shots coming via someone else passing to him. That's a big difference. JJ's assisted shot numbers are in the superstar range, not star range.

In these 2 games, JJ has seen only 33% of his shots coming via an assist. That's in the same category of a Lebron or a Wade

Exactly. It is amazing to me that people here don't appreciate how good JJ is. He has exceeded my expectations by a wide margin.

Quote:

JJ's problem might be that he doesn't take enough bad shots, like most of the other superstars do. Instead, he'll try to find a more open man, instead of taking an off-balance shot.

That is a problem i can live with. The way Marvin is coming along and with Acie about to take over we could be looking good shortly.

Quote:

Quote:

Smiths best year here was 97/98 when he averaged 20 pts shooting 44%. He got the the line 6 times per game.

Last year JJ averaged 25 ppg shooting 47% and got to the line 5.5 times per game.

Smith wasn't even close to JJ.

Even Smiity admits that JJ is a better player than he was. And Ex, what's amazing about those numbers you posted here, is that JJ did that WITHOUT a decent PG passing him the ball. It's almost unheard of for a SG to shoot that high of a percentage, without a good to great PG getting him the ball in the right spots.

Here's a stat to show just how good JJ is.

I know for a fact that at least 3 of Smoove's long jumpers in the past 2 games, have come off of JJ passing him the ball as the shot clock is windind down, instead of taking the tough shot himself.

But yet, people will praise that goofball Arenas, before they do JJ.

You can argue numbers all you want. But the results on the court is what is important.

Quote:

Yet, Kobe gets his team full of hacks into the playoffs and JJ can't get the hawks into the playoffs in the much weaker eastern conference. Tmac is pretty much always in the playoffs.

Maybe you should look at the games instead of looking for some stats on the internet.

Kobe/Tmac/Arenas are all in the playoffs, but JJ and his great jumpshot is sitting at home in April. Hmmmm.

Quote:

Where do you even find info like that?

It's all on 82games.com Click on the Hawks, then click on JJ's name. Then, click on the "player stats" link. It'll tell you all you need to know about different statistics.

82games is pretty good for stats like that. They're kind of shaky when you look at stats by position. Last year, they almost insisted that Smoove was our SF and Marvin was our PF. This year, it looks like they're getting it right.

Quote:

The fans here are way biased.

Something interesting can be said about this. On one hand, it almost seems as though you're talking about a group that you don't consider yourself a part of ("the fans.") On the other hand, if you are a fan, and you consider yourself one, what you just said is very true: you are "way biased" towards melodramatic gloom and doom.

Quote:

"way biased" towards melodramatic gloom and doom.

I have a negative outlook on the team because they continue to stink it up. Had I got excited about the 4-1 start last year the season would have been an even bigger letdown than it already was. If this team is a .500 team come middle of December I will feel alot better.