• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

No assist from Lue or Law

NJHAWK

there's no way you can win a game when your PG's have no assists. i'll put it to you this way.

atlanta

lue - 1/10 fg, 3 pts, 3 ast

law - 1/5 fg, 7 pts, 0 ast

in all our point guards accounted for 13 missed shots, 10 points and a minimum of 6 pts created for others

meanwhile for new jersey

kidd - 4/10 fg, 9 pts, 12 ast

armstrong - 2/3 fg, 5 pts, 2 ast

thats 7 missed shots, 14 points and a minmum of 28 pts created for their team. that's not even including assists that led to three point baskets for the nets.

our point guards were outplayed 42-16. how in the hell are we suppose to win games like this???

It's sad, but I can't remember even one assist by Lue. he was absolutely brutal tonight. Every play down the court for NJ when he was in went something like this:

Kidd brings the ball down, Lue gets caught in a pick, and then just stands there looking for someone to guard as the play passes him by.

It's just so frustrating how Woody just leaves him in there! Especially during the end of the third quarter! They couldn't score with him on O, and Kidd just owned him on D.

If AJ comes back and plays half as good as he can, he should relegate Lue back to the bench. Hopefully.

banghead.gif

I thought this team was too talented to miss the playoffs.

But with Lue and Woody we could get out of playoff contention real quick.

Those two hurt this team so much it's not even funny.

Lue and his 1/10 shooting, destroying our offensive flow, and no defense.

Woody and his boneheaded substitutions like leaving Lue in, taking out a hot Marvin, and having ridiculous lineups like Lue,Law,Childress, and Shelden.

the three assist didn't come until the last three minutes of the game. we wen't over three quarters without one assist. isn't that these point guards jobs? it should be in their description to be facilitators of offense. where is the offense? where is the movement!

I, like most on this board, like Law. He has shown enough promise to be the point guard of the future. However, he should not be the starter now. He simply is not yet a pass first point who can run the offense (whatever Woody's offense is) and create continually for his teammates. Law, like most rookies, has alot to learn about running a team and would be better served coming off the pine behind AJ. I am fearful that he will press himself and develop bad habits, like looking for his shot to often in order to stay the starter. With AJ now available, I do not understand the rush to force Law to grow up. We cannot be so needy for a savior point guard that we sacrifice the future.Let Law play heavy minutes as a backup but let him learn the game now. This move smacks of desperation by Woody to keep his job. Woody would be more likely to keep his job if he learned and taught some half court offensive sets to this team.

Law is very talented but he's over his head to come in and run a team from jump street. Any body would be. I think there are other issues that complicate his doing well: Smoove shooting 3's, Lue playing his anti-team game, Chill starting off slow, ZaZa out, Woody's coaching, etc. The bottom line is that the whole team has not hit their stride and this will impact Law. Part of it is normal growing pains that we have to suffer through.

I think JJ needs to be more vocal on the floor.

what we need is speedy to be healthy. at this point we don't even know what his deal is....he could be out one week or the whole season, that's how ambiguous the status of his health is.....

SOMEBODY TELL US SOMETHING ABOUT SPEEDY!

if he cannot play at all this season, then we need to just cut him and take our losses and then bring someone else if at all possible. he can't be traded. he can't play. he would be wasting a spot on the bench.

we need to find out what the deal is with him.

I think Law would be better off coming in off the pine replacing AJ even if he came into the game within the first five minutes of the game. Let him watch the flow of the game and observe it before coming in.

Speaking of Woody's coaching, I was again reminded about our history of ineffective halfcourt offense. Either the players are running very poorly conceived offensive sets or we don't have any (I guess the players could be failing to execute perfectly conceived offensive sets but I don't believe that). Did you notice how NJ still *gasp* ran offensive sets with ancient Darrell Armstrong running the point? I could see NJ's offensive plays develop while the Hawks seem to be in constant chaos in the halfcourt. Sadly, we have to constantly push the ball to seek open shots because our half court offense will not generate open looks.

Quote:

Law is very talented but he's over his head to come in and run a team from jump street. Any body would be.

Acie made some good passes last night. Too bad our guys missed the open jumpers that would have translated into some assist. There is room for major improvement. Law needs to feed the post some more (tonight with Horford on Diaw is a good start). I would like to see him involved in some pick and rolls with Smith and Horford. He could also get some guys some easy buckets if we look to penetrate more and pass the ball off his drive as the defense reacts to his penetration. All of this will come.

Your points are very true. The only PG in recent history that I recall who had a breakthough rookie year was Chris Paul. Deron Williams broke out his 2nd year. I think any rookie PG in their 1st start, in their 3rd game overall, is in way over their head. Then you throw in the fact he is playing against the best PG of this generation in Jason Kidd. Ya, safe to say he was in over his head. At the same time the Hawks perform better as a team with Law vs. Lue.

Law will get more comfortable by the game. First start drawing Jason Kidd at home is a tough assignment. Normally Law drives the ball more and sets up his teamates morew then he is doing now. It will come with time. Law is a floor general and it will show with expierence.

Rookie PGs take a lot of patience. Ask Jerry Sloan. He waited until Stockton's 3rd year to start him and benched D. Williams his rookie year. Right now I like what Law is giving us more then the alternatives. AJ can run the offense a little better but AJ can't shoot or defend .

I will patientlly stand by Law throughout his rookie year. Sure their will be plenty of bumps. I guarantee those speed bumps can be over come..............the land mines of a AJ / Lue PG duo would be too much to overcome and has now reward at the end of the tunnle.

2 of Acie's TO were 100% smoove and horford's overthrows.

1 was and offensive foul where he was outsmarted by kidd.

1 was his bad pass.

Law had several passes that were fouled and he missed the assists. Shots were just not falling. Our players missed out several and1s on his passes.

Besides I feel that he didn't have the freedom to keep the ball and penetrate. He was passing the ball to someone as soon as it came to him. Can't do much with that. Absolutely no freedom.

He had an ordinary game. Not a bad game for a rookie. His stat doesn't tell the story at all.

Lue just stunk it up. With 42 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, he was pounding the ball instead of going 2 for 1. I can forgive 1-10 but I can't forgive that. He's braindead.

Quote:

I don't think that our offense is made for guys to get assists. Our offense consists of walking it up court...passing it to JJ on the post, who then passes it back out to a guy playing 1 on 1 and hoisting a last sec shot. How do you get assists doing that?

I totally agree. With that philosophy, Woody has every reason to love Selim, but he prefers Lue.

Quote:

I don't think that our offense is made for guys to get assists. Our offense consists of walking it up court...passing it to JJ on the post, who then passes it back out to a guy playing 1 on 1 and hoisting a last sec shot. How do you get assists doing that?

And how the hell is that a running style/uptempo offense?

What a joke this guy is.

Assists, if I understand correctly, come when a pass is

made to the shooter and the shooter immediately scores.

If the shooter dribbles around and then scores, no assist.

Set the shooter up. He misses. No assist. Who's fault

is this? He attempts the shot and gets fouled. The free

throws are hit, but where is the assist? No assist.

Whatever an assist is, our PG's didn't. Is it the

system? The play calling? The ability of our PG's?

All of the above? Bad luck? Missed shots? Fouls

on the Shooter?

Something is wrong. To fix it, we must know where the

problem lies and have a workable solution.

Yet, with all our problems, and this is only one, the

Hawks have managed to be "Right there" at the end of

two nerveracking losses. banghead.gif

GO HAWKS!!!

stirthepot.gif

before I would make a decision as to whether or not he was ready to take on the role as full time starter for us. I agree that he was not great against DET or NJ but look who he was playing against. Billups and Kidd are arguably the two best defensive PGs in the NBA. I'll bet that Law will look a LOT better on offense against Nash tonight (even if he get's killed on the other end).

Poor Acie is getting a baptism by fire. We are not only playing good teams, we are playing teams with GREAT PGs.

If Acie can get it going against Nash a little tonight, I think it will do wonders for his confidence. I think he will be pleasantly surprised to find out that not every NBA PG defends like Billups and Kidd.