• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks: Know your roles.

Diesel

• Premium Member

More than anything else, this team needs to know their roles. Other than knowing that JJ has the big C on his uniform, this Hawks team knows nothing.

Roles need to be defined. Terms need to be clear. These definitions should include offensive and defensive roles for every player.

Then Plays need to be mapped out with defined roles in mind.

When a player steps outside of his intended role, he needs to be pulled and reminded.

Woody's ship is too loose. We need to tighten the hatches on this ship and then wins will come. That's part of the problem with having the youngest team. Roles are not known. Last night, we played a team who knew their roles. They were like Clockwork. On each side of the court, they went into their roles and produced!

Knowing roles have been the one truth in Utah and San Antonio and that's why those teams rarely have losing seasons. Everybody know their roles.

None of this 2nd options are not important MESS!

Quote:

More than anything else, this team needs to know their roles. Other than knowing that JJ has the big C on his uniform, this Hawks team knows nothing.

Roles need to be defined. Terms need to be clear. These definitions should include offensive and defensive roles for every player.

Then Plays need to be mapped out with defined roles in mind.

When a player steps outside of his intended role, he needs to be pulled and reminded.

Woody's ship is too loose. We need to tighten the hatches on this ship and then wins will come. That's part of the problem with having the youngest team. Roles are not known. Last night, we played a team who knew their roles. They were like Clockwork. On each side of the court, they went into their roles and produced!

Knowing roles have been the one truth in Utah and San Antonio and that's why those teams rarely have losing seasons. Everybody know their roles.

None of this 2nd options are not important MESS!

Good post. Not necessarily the 2nd option. It should be who is the post up option, who is the outside shooter option, who is the penetrator option etc. Most importantly learn to use the hot guy and don't try to do things outside your comfort zone.

I think Marvin has been aggressive so far and want to see that continue. If he does, I think he will naturally evolve as our 2nd option because he is CLEARLY our most skilled offensive player after JJ.

Note - I wouldn't even mind seeing him take his aggressiveness to the next level so that he is shooting without a conscience. If he doesn't know how to do that, he can ask Smoove for pointers. tongue.gif

Quote:

I think Marvin has been aggressive so far and want to see that continue. If he does, I think he will naturally evolve as our 2nd option because he is CLEARLY our most skilled offensive player after JJ.

Note - I wouldn't even mind seeing him take his aggressiveness to the next level so that he is shooting without a conscience. If he doesn't know how to do that, he can ask Smoove for pointers.
tongue.gif

LOL. Or Lue.

I'd love to see him become a selfish shooter. Everything he throws up looks picture perfect.

Quote:

Note - I wouldn't even mind seeing him take his aggressiveness to the next level so that he is shooting without a conscience. If he doesn't know how to do that, he can ask Smoove for pointers.

If we could take away some of Smiths aggressiveness and give it to Marvin then that would be perfect.

That is the problem with human beings, too many flaws...... except for me of course.

You bring up a good point though. Once Robert Horry was asked how he makes so many clutch shots and he said it was because he wasn't afraid to miss. All great shooters are that way and Marvin can definitely get gunshy after a couple of misses.

Quote:

Quote:

he wasn't afraid to miss.

No formula works on everybody. It certainly hasn't worked for Lue. Plenty of NBA players have lost their jobs for that attitude.

It depends on the player.

How many clutch shots has Lue hit since he has been here? How about Smith? Sure they shoot too much but they aren't afraid.

And then there is Marvin. I cant remember him even taking many shots at crunch time.

Smith and Marvin need too adjust their games in different directions as far as aggressiveness goes.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

he wasn't afraid to miss.

No formula works on everybody. It certainly hasn't worked for Lue. Plenty of NBA players have lost their jobs for that attitude.

It depends on the player.

How many clutch shots has Lue hit since he has been here? How about Smith? Sure they shoot too much but they aren't afraid.

And then there is Marvin. I cant remember him even taking many shots at crunch time.

Smith and Marvin need too adjust their games in different directions as far as aggressiveness goes.

Agree. I liked it when Smoove didn't do a show off dunk yesterday. I increased my idea of what his ceiling is when he did that. When Marvin was demanding the ball early last night, I also increased his ceiling in my mind. Both of them are capable of making those journeys toward opposite direction.

• Premium Member

I agree about the lazy passes. During the Pistons game, I was wondering WHY is a big strong guy like Horf throwing those sissy passes.. Still, I think that knowing the role will help with some of the other issues you raise.