• Raised $440 of $700 target

Horford vs. Yi

oiatlhawksfan

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

This statement will only last for a little while. IF Yi remains more consistent than Horf, fit doesn't matter. These two careers will be linked if no where else, then on this board..IF yi plays the NBA game as quickly as he looked predraft, then it won't matter how well Horf fits into the system.

Quote:

Horford

PPG 8.4

RPG 10.0

APG 1.0

SPG 1.6

BPG 1.2

FG% 0.455

FT% 0.600

3P% 0.000

MPG 30.4

Yi Jianlian

PPG 11.6

RPG 5.6

APG 0.8

SPG 1.0

BPG 1.8

FG% 0.479

FT% 0.714

3P% 0.667

MPG 27.6

Who's better, and will be better 5 years from now?

...to the NBA game, and without much of a preseason to adjust!!! He is going to be an star to superstar within 3 years.

Horford is used to the american game, older, and isn't making any international transitions. Yi was a perfect compliment to JS at the forward positions IMO and has superstar potential. Horford has been PROVEN to be an NBA Pf. As wonderful as he is, he won't be more wonderful than Yi, he won't be a superstar or represent a mismatch advantage, and he doesn't play a position that will trump Yi's current and especially future player advantages.

W

Quote:

As to yi's defence ability, according bucks fans, most of them believe he is already the best defender from their team, at least one of the best.

just check out ,you will find out i don't overstate at all.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=21

or

http://www2.jsonline.com/idealbb/forum.asp...2C5}&forumID=37

That doesn't say much about the Bucks. smirk.gif

Quote:

truth is hurt: the yoube is money! and so is the chair !!

Funny! He almost got me with that chair. The man is a drill machine. I would have liked for him to have a chance to work with the future Hawks coach, whoever that will be. But duplicity is the thing around here, you know? My point was we were going to suck with Yi or Horford, so why not get the guy who can actually shoot and has tradeable star potential?

Yi looks much better then I thought he would in his first 2 weeks of basketball.

He will be a good PF one day. He will alwayse be a it soft in the interior (like Dirk).

Horford is everything I thought he would be. A beast who loves contact and physical basketaball.

Horford is a much better compliment to Smith and Marvin then Yi would have been.

Yi plays just like Marvin but Marvin is at least one year ahead of him in term of athelticsm.

To me Yi would be duplicating what we already have. Horford gives us what we were missing from ZaZa and Sheldon (strength in the middle while still being athletic). Horford does lack length but at least he has 2 out of 3 qualities for a big man where Sheldon and ZaZa only have 1 out of the 3 qualities.

Horford over Yi was the right decision for a team who already has Marvin, Smoove, and Chills.

I know this much, Yi will never be able not hold down the paint defensively or in rebounding as well as Horford can.

Quote:

I got a chance to talk with Ty at the game yesterday and he thinks Horford will be a perennial All Star in 2-3 years.

And Yi is already equaling if not bettering him despite a MUCH greater tansition and less time to adjust. Hmm? Makes you wonder.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Horford is everything I thought he would be. A beast
who loves contact and physical basketaball

I'm not sure about this yet. He may love contact?? But is he productive against the bigger Centers when he's playing physical?

Quote:

Quote:

I got a chance to talk with Ty at the game yesterday and he thinks Horford will be a perennial All Star in 2-3 years.

And Yi is already equaling if not bettering him despite a MUCH greater tansition and less time to adjust. Hmm? Makes you wonder.

W

Yi is doing a good job making open jumpers but he is not scoring inside at all. I dont recall you mentioning a perimeter shooter who doesn't drive or post as being a good compliment to Smith.

Quote:

wow. I mean WOW.

If memory serves me right, Tyrone made one all-star team himself, correct? He right before the Power Forward boom. He wouldn't have made the All-star team in this era.

Yi seems to be playing like Marvin used to play.

Quote:

Quote:

W

It makes me laugh how some compare players box scores who games are polar opposites from one another.(not directed at any one person) Yi's game is SF/PF peremiter oriented game while Horford is a traditional post oriented PF/C type of game. To compare box scores blindly can be misleading.

Yi came known as finess offense player with a weakness at defense and inconsistent rebounding. He prefered to away from contact and prefered to be out of the paint. That is what your geting now. Points look good in the box score but I wonder how many points he is giving up on the other end. I have not seen him play in the regualr season so I cannot comment on anything but box scores and what I saw of him in preseason and before the draft.

Horford had a reputation of being a strong post player and consistent rebounder. Someone who likes playing physical with contact in the paint. That is what you are seeing every game so far.......a consistent player ready for the pro game who can rebound 10 a game while playing undersized at the center without a true PF beside him. A touh interior presence any winning team needs.

Both players seem to have very bright futures but very different futures in terms of style of play.

Quote:

i like yi, but could we really start a frontcourt of marvin/smoove/yi? i don't think so

but marvin/smoove/horford works fine

so horford was better for us because he can play CENTER, at least against 20+ of the teams out there

...only the other would have included an added potential superstar and likely mismatch advantage. We still need a center. If you want to beat the 20 worst teams and lose to the best 10, then small ball sans another superstar is your thing. In fact, I've posted countless times how our two best players aren't as good as the top 10 team's 2 best players. Tack small ball onto that and you will not contend EVER.

W

Quote:

Both players seem to have very bright futures but very different futures in terms of style of play.

No doubt. I like Horford as a Pf. I'm even up for trading JS or MW (+ SW) for say Bynum or the like. We still need a center worth a d@mn. Can't hope small ball and no superstar will win a GD thing.

W

Five games into a season is not where to make comparisons. Wait a few years and then we can see what these two do.

I wanted Yi, but I really like Horford's game. I think Horf is a tremendous addition to the Hawks. Horf is one of the two best draft picks in the BK era (and the Babs era as well).

I will be interested to watch Horf and Yi mix it up when we play the Bucks. Smith may end up guarding Yi, though.

Quote:

I wanted Yi, but I really like Horford's game. I think Horf is a tremendous addition to the Hawks. Horf is one of the two best draft picks in the BK era (and the Babs era as well).

I would agree with this statement, I just don't think he will be better than Yi will be.

Anyhow, now what do we do with another forward? As long as we stop gap fix everything, nothing really gets fixed.

Also, we still don't have a needed potential superstar or likley mismatch advantage.

You can't play small ball and conceed other mismatch advantages skill-wise.

W