• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Horford vs. Yi

oiatlhawksfan

• Premium Member

Click here.

Here's my take after all the fear mongering.

Quote:

If Yi can play Center or not.

With our offense, defensive scheme, that doesn't mean so much. You can call it a 3 forward set if you like...

We zone up on Defense, and on offense, we run uptempo. Yi is Yi. At a tre 7 foot with Athleticism and Smoove playing Rover in a Triangle and 2 zone, hell... we'd can play with everybody and beat just about anybody.

If we stick to the idea of needing a C, we will never be a complete team because we will never find a "real" C.

If we have a loss at the "Center" position, guess how big of a win we have at Pf with an Athletic 7 footer who has low post moves and moves off the dribble.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

With Yi ON THE COURT Milwaulkee allows their opponents 10.2 FEWER PPG!

That is because he splits time with Charlie V who is a notoriously bad defender. Ask any Bucks or Raps fan.

When asked about defense before the season CV responded that is what they have guys like Mason and Ruffin for.

Quote:

yi does everything horford does?

he rebounds 10+/game?

he bangs inside?

he gets fouled ONE QUARTER of the time?

he can play center?

...and neither could touch Yi's shotblocking, ability to take care of the ball, or ENTIRE offensive game DESPITE his having less time to adjust and more to adjust to.

W

Quote:

Walt - What do you make of things if you assume Yi actually was born in 1984 and is significantly older and more experienced than Horford?

The Chinese wouldn't have put their team's international basketball wins at risk by artificially adjusting Yi's age down and making him thereby ineligible (at age 15). Regardless, he's a freak-o'- nature with incredible skills who will IMO be closer to Dirk than anyone along since.

W

Quote:

You can't be serious.

What good does being 7 feet tall do you if all you doo is jack up jumpers.

Eh hem. Dirk Nowitski. Eh hem.

Actually, that's jack up jumpers, block more shots, fewer TOs despite more ball handling, more assists, better FG%, better FT%, SIGNIFICANTLY higher Roland rating...etc.

Yeah, you can't be serious. We needed another banger after we got SW.

W

Quote:

Quote:

You can't be serious.

What good does being 7 feet tall do you if all you doo is jack up jumpers.

Eh hem. Dirk Nowitski. Eh hem.

Actually, that's jack up jumpers, block more shots, fewer TOs despite more ball handling, more assists, better FG%, better FT%, SIGNIFICANTLY higher Roland rating...etc.

Yeah, you can't be serious. We needed another banger after we got SW.

W

I think it is clear that the whole "Shelly-Horford are too similar" argument doesnt hold water anymore.

If you can't see all the stuff Horf is doing that Shelly cant/doesnt, than a) you havent been watching or b) you are retarded.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Walt - What do you make of things if you assume Yi actually was born in 1984 and is significantly older and more experienced than Horford?

The Chinese wouldn't have put their team's international basketball wins at risk by artificially adjusting Yi's age down and making him thereby ineligible (at age 15). Regardless, he's a freak-o'- nature with incredible skills who will IMO be closer to Dirk than anyone along since.

W

Given that a LOT of the asian countries have lied about the ages of their athletes (and done a lot more in terms of cheating in sports [and I'm not saying the US is clean]); that there are several question marks on Yi such as the birth certificate, Chinese report of 1984 in an tournament, Yi's reported admission of an older birthdate to Shane Battier, etc. I think it is a fair question to ask that you assume for the sake of the question that he is significantly older than anyone (other than Al Thornton) in this year's draft.

I also think he has a ton of potential, as you know from the pre-draft threads. I just think some of the Yi-is-more-raw-than-anyone-in-the-draft line of rationale doesn't hold water if he is really a 1984 birthdate compared to a 1986 for Horford, Smoove (almost) and Marvin.

• 2 months later...

Quote:

after his hot start. He is averaging 9.6 ppg shooting 43% and his Roland Rating is now at -2. Horford's is -.5.

That's funny as hell. Yi wasn't supposed to have anything like a "hot start" making the huge adjustment from international ball to the NBA. He didn't have a "hot start", he's just good despite the obstacles. In 3, maybe after 2 years he'll be better.

W

Quote:

Quote:

after his hot start. He is averaging 9.6 ppg shooting 43% and his Roland Rating is now at -2. Horford's is -.5.

That's funny as hell. Yi wasn't supposed to have anything like a "hot start" making the huge adjustment from international ball to the NBA. He didn't have a "hot start", he's just good despite the obstacles. In 3, maybe after 2 years he'll be better.

W

9.6 PPG on 43% shooting is good? Horford's better and even might be younger (most believe Yi is 22). Newsflash: Andrea Bargnani looked like a star in the making after his rookie season, too, and he's got the exact type of game Yi does.

Quote:

Quote:

Andrea Bargnani looked like a star in the making after his rookie season, too,

No he didn't, at ALL.

If you base it on Walter's criteria, he did. Except Bargnani has even better range than Yi and is a better passer. Neither has a post game worth a damn and both are atrocious rebounders for bigs.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If you base it on Walter's criteria, he did. Except Bargnani has even better range than Yi and is a better passer. Neither has a post game worth a damn and both are atrocious rebounders for bigs.

I don't know what Walter's criteria for Bargnani is, but I was NEVER impressed by Bargs last year. He was garbage then and he's worse now. He's a 7 footer who can't defend, can't rebound, and is just clumsy and slow as hell. He's nothing but a 7' flat footed jumpshooter, that is IT. He's basically a 7' version of Steve Kerr, which hurts a team worse because he can't play PF/C without destroying his teams rebounding and defense.

Quote:

Quote:

W

What's funny as hell is that you wet your pants after two weeks of the season without actually watching Yi play.

Quote:

I don't know what Walter's criteria for Bargnani is, but I was NEVER impressed by Bargs last year.

But I certainly don't think I missed on Yi. The guy is a stud and in 2-3 years will be Nowitzki now.

W