• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Do we covet our young players over winning?

tmac13

Smoove has been my favorite Hawks player since the moment we drafted him but here are a few facts that can't be overlooked.

Smoove is the ultimate tweener..He doesn't have the shot or the handles to be an effective small forward. He doesn't have the needed size or mindset to be a great power forward.

While he denies the reports of attitude problems, where there is so much smoke ther has to be some fire.

Smoove is a turnover machine.

Horford, Sheldon, and Zaza make a pretty good 4/5 rotation giving us rebounding and bulk.

Marvin is developing into a very good classic 3 with a nice stroke and decent handles and defense. Chillz is a very effective backup at the 2/3 spots.

Smoove is now in his 4th season and he still plays out of control making one boneheaded play after another. The flip side is he tantalizes everyone with his sheer talent and athletic ability.

Smoove is going to cost a very large contract to keep.

Trading Smoove along with some garbage could net us the real point guard we need along with some depth or draft picks.

Is it time to trade talent for the sake of improving the team?

Quote:

Smoove has been my favorite Hawks player since the moment we drafted him but here are a few facts that can't be overlooked.

Smoove is the ultimate tweener..He doesn't have the shot or the handles to be an effective small forward. He doesn't have the needed size or mindset to be a great power forward.

While he denies the reports of sttitude problems, where there is so much smoke ther has to be some fire.

Horford, Sheldon, and Zaza make a pretty good 4/5 rotation giving us rebounding and bulk.

Marvin is developing into a very good classic 3 with a nice stroke and decent handles and defense. Chillz is a very effective backup at the 2/3 spots.

Smoove is now in his 4th season and he still plays out of control making one boneheaded play after another. The flip side is he tantalizes everyone with his sheer talent and athletic ability.

Smoove is going to cost an very large contract to keep.

Trading Smoove along with some garbage could net us the real point guard we need along with some depth or draft picks.

Is it time to trade talent for the sake of improving the team?

I want to know what team trades starting caliber pg's? That would be like asking the colts to trade Peyton Manning for Deangelo Hall and some filler.

Philly and Toronto come to mind immediately. Philly would love to move Millers salary for a yound talent like Smoove and in turn we could send Speedy Recovery back to help offset the money. Toronto has Ford and Calderon and would be nasty with a Smoove, Bosh, and Bargnani frontcourt.

we could definitely get some good starting caliber pgs for smoove

but that trade isn't worth it when we have law to be our starting caliber pg for the next 10 years

we need a good backup vet pg to play with law, but without giving up a ton

i'd do a zaza or shelden for a dre miller or better pg, for instance...horford/zaza or horford/shelden can hold down the center spot

but we need a coach change before we make a drastic move like that

i'd consider trading lue/lo for a vet backup big and zaza for a vet 20-25mpg pg that can run with the team

players like dre miller are starting

players like calderon would if not behind tj ford

i also wouldn't mind duhon, tho for less of a cost

barbosa would be a good target, but not trading marvin for him...that's too much to give up

starting/backup pgs i wouldn't mind getting for not much (ie for shelden or zaza or lue/lo/aj...not marvin/smoove/chill...i know many of these aren't available for so little, but oh well):

marcus williams

dre miller

calderon

duhon

tinsley

mo williams

daniels

jack

blake

ridnour

jose barea

conley

lowry

brevin knight

bibby

Quote:

players like dre miller are starting

players like calderon would if not behind tj ford

i also wouldn't mind duhon, tho for less of a cost

barbosa would be a good target, but not trading marvin for him...that's too much to give up

starting/backup pgs i wouldn't mind getting for not much (ie for shelden or zaza or lue/lo/aj...not marvin/smoove/chill...i know many of these aren't available for so little, but oh well):

marcus williams

dre miller

calderon

duhon

tinsley

mo williams

daniels

jack

blake

ridnour

jose barea

conley

lowry

brevin knight

bibby

I am all for trading our young players(see my thread), but Josh is a budding star and you don't trade budding stars for second string pg's. That is why we have second round picks. (and Josh Childress)

Quote:

Smith is averaging 3.5 turnovers a game. Horford is averaging 3 in far fewer touches.

If Smith is a turnover machine what does that make Horford?

Well, since the team hasn't been winning for a decade now it is hard not to pick something to get excited about. For the past four years, all fans have had to look forward to is the development of the young players. Winning is still something that is not happening on a regular enough basis. Supposedly this is the year the team wins at least half its games, at least that is what I am hoping for (not that mediocrity is a great thing, but it beats bad).

Quote:

Smith is a 4th year player and Horford is a rookie.

They are also from the same HS class. Horford spent 3 years in college where they spend more time in practice teaching fundamentals. In the pros there is less time for that because there are so many games.

Smiths turnovers generally come from being overaggressive and trying to do too much. He tries to bea playmaker like Jason Kidd or drive to the rim like Lebron which is beyond his ability. However he does force the defense to react to him and he creates opportunities for other players.

Horfords come from just being clumsy and careless with the ball. He averages only 1 assist compared to 3 turnovers.

Before you go trading away young talent, you may want to see what a real coaching staff could do with this team. Not a lameduck head coach and a staff that tried to bolt in the offseason.

Many players have come and gone in the past decade, but we have yet to have a proven coach.

• Premium Member

I say everybody is tradable if the trade makes the team better.

Eventually, the youth movement will be hit with a salary reality. When that happens, look for us to make a deal, but the question will be: Did our efforts make us better?

• Premium Member

i agree with Diesel. We would have dealt youth this summer but it didn't work out which is why Joe is sulking and lethargic in games. We need to use some of this youth to get help at point and center.It takes two teams to make that happen though and an ownership willing to take on salary.