Soth, any news about Woody?

Guest GHook4

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

Anxious to see Larry Drew? Take a look at the Thrashers... sticking with an "internal coach" for the remainder of the season. Given the ownership situation, what credible coaching candidate would come here, only to potentially be fired the day after Belkin wins (if that happens)?

That is basically the story so far on Woody. There was talk internally of giving him until the first of December or right after Thanksgiving. But the same problems remain: AS does not want to pay him to stay home if they fire him and most importantly they aren't going to spend the $$$ to bring in a real credible head coach like a Fratello.

One of my sources told me that Rick Adelman's agent twice contacted Knight about a possible job. And both times the answer was no due to the ownership situation and Knight's inability to promise Adelman a stable front office and a stable job opp.

The Spirit believes it will eventually get rid of Belkin and hold the team. And when that time comes then they will pursue a serious coaching candidate. From what I have been told several times over the years is that Woodson is a cheap fix and if they fire him they will just plant one of the assistants as the head coach.

Unless the Spirit changes internally and is willing to spend some $$$ then we are stuck with Woodson or some other desperate-for-a-first-HC-job top NBA assistant coach hired to replace him.

that's what i figured was going on. there was no way a coac was going ot be able to thrive with the thought that the ASG might not even be around soon. with that in mind, don't look for a change in style of play. this isn't going to be a situation like memphis where they go from fratello's slow down to the interim's phoenix stlye. drew and brown have the same philiosophy as woodson. we'll have to wait until summer to get a real change.

Quote:

Quote:

Anxious to see Larry Drew? Take a look at the Thrashers... sticking with an "internal coach" for the remainder of the season. Given the ownership situation, what credible coaching candidate would come here, only to potentially be fired the day after Belkin wins (if that happens)?

That is basically the story so far on Woody. There was talk internally of giving him until the first of December or right after Thanksgiving. But the same problems remain: AS does not want to pay him to stay home if they fire him and most importantly they aren't going to spend the $$$ to bring in a real credible head coach like a Fratello.

One of my sources told me that Rick Adelman's agent twice contacted Knight about a possible job. And both times the answer was no due to the ownership situation and Knight's inability to promise Adelman a stable front office and a stable job opp.

The Spirit believes it will eventually get rid of Belkin and hold the team. And when that time comes then they will pursue a serious coaching candidate. From what I have been told several times over the years is that Woodson is a cheap fix and if they fire him they will just plant one of the assistants as the head coach.

Unless the Spirit changes internally and is willing to spend some $$$ then we are stuck with Woodson or some other desperate-for-a-first-HC-job top NBA assistant coach hired to replace him.

so in sum:

Hawks have crap owners.

Hawks have crap GM.

Hawks have crap coach.

Hawks have crap record.

The sure don't make it easy to be a fan of this team.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

so in sum:

Hawks have crap owners.

Hawks have crap GM.

Hawks have crap coach.

Hawks have crap record.

The sure don't make it easy to be a fan of this team.

Hawks have crappy fans.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It might take another year or so to get rid of Belkin so what are the ASG going to do this summer when Woody's contract is up? Offer the Job to someone like Bob Bender or David Fizdale?

That's my concern as well. What Sothron tells us in this thread should have been common sense to anyone who read the AJC in the last two years, but what's troubling is next offseason.

Next summer will definitely make or break my fandom with the AS-led Hawks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Well that also tells the story on player contracts too. The Spirit has to prove to me they are serious about the franchise, if and when they get rid of Belkin and continue on the "cheap" as they are now, it will be time for the NBA to step in and do something.

This bothers me a lot and also confirms the feelings I have had for the last year or so.

Sothron, did every owner have to agree to fire Hartley from Thrashers? I'm guessing that it is quite possible that if all owners have to agree to a head coach's firing/hiring, that Belkin may NOT approve dumping Woody, even to have Drew put in place. Belkin is a much bigger fan of basketball than hockey... he may have thrown the other owners a bone by helping them out with the Trashers (Levinson's favorite property).

I've said it before, Woody has better job security than Greg Popovich. For all the wrong reasons.

Quote:

Quote:

Get the hell outta here(in a good way) I had to log on to response becuase if this is the case, I don't even know if I want to watch anymore games this season, we could have had RICK ADELMAN, man oh man, I just got really pissed off.

• Premium Member

I can see them offering Drew the HC job and trying to sell it as a "keeping the hire internal with a coach the players already respect and keeping a system the young players are familiar with" deal. Or offering it to a top NBA assistant who just wants his first HC job in the NBA. They are not going to spend real money on a real coach until the ownership situation is fixed.

Look at how they handled the Thrashers after ousting Hartley.

Quote:

I can see them offering Drew the HC job and trying to sell it as a "keeping the hire internal with a coach the players already respect and keeping a system the young players are familiar with" deal. Or offering it to a top NBA assistant who just wants his first HC job in the NBA. They are not going to spend real money on a real coach until the ownership situation is fixed.

Look at how they handled the Thrashers after ousting Hartley.

What "system" do the Hawks currently have?

Quote:

They don't. Its just a soundbite they would use to explain why they hired yet another cheap assistant coach as opposed to spending real money to hire an experienced NBA coach like Fratello.

This is why ownership is the first thing that needs to change. Get decent owners and the GM and coaching nightmares come to an end immediately.