• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

OT: Calderon currently 3rd in PER for PG's.

mrhonline

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

I would love to add Calderon to this team, honestly I was more excited about the idea of adding him than adding Gasol.

How about sliding some info "the other way" this time and have your contacts push a Calderon trade to the decision-makers?

ernaehrung014.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I would love to add Calderon to this team, honestly I was more excited about the idea of adding him than adding Gasol.

How about sliding some info "the other way" this time and have your contacts push a Calderon trade to the decision-makers?

ernaehrung014.gif

haha! now we're talking!

Like I said in the other thread, getting either of these guys would be amazing, getting both (without giving up JJ, MW or Smoove) would put is in the top 3 in the east.

But yeah, Calderon would be so perfect for this team. Why can't anything like this ever happen?? russian.gif

Quote:

Calderon recently said he'd like a bigger role with the Raptors, but they can't play the two PGs together. Also, his good buddy Garbajosa is very unhappy with his limited playing time.

I'd like to trade for both, knowing that Garbs could play some backup forward if you trade Childress. The easiest route would be to go after him in the summer, but if you trade I think you can look at the following:

1 of Lue/AJ (take your pick)

1 of Childress/Shelden (take your pick)

1 of Salim/Jones (Salim if Shelden, Jones if Childress)

-for-

Calderon

Garbajosa (Calderon insurance)

1 of Delfino/Graham/Dixon (reserve wing)

There are several combos that work, but since Graham isn't going to get much PT, and Childress is a better player than Shelden, this is the best combo for Toronto:

AJ/Childress/Jones -for- Calderon/Garbs/Graham

That saves Toronto ~$6M next year to re-sign Childress with. (He's exactly what they need to, a slasher who can defend and get offensive rebounds).

However, that puts Atlanta at $46M with Smith and Calderon still unsigned. Getting them Shelden instead of Childress is in Atlanta's best interest:

Lue/Shelden/Salim -for- Calderon/Garbs/Graham

I always like your trade ideas concerning Calderon, and I think you're the only one as bullish on him as I am (Ive also advocated getting him on realgm too).

The problem with this deal, is that I think Toronto can get more than that from someone else.

At this point, I would bet Colangelo would do:

Acie + Chill

for

Calderon + Graham.

But BK wouldnt.

BK would probably do something along what you are saying, but Colangelo wouldnt.

I just dont think Toronto would be OK getting either AJ or Lue as their backup pg, when Ford is one drive-gone-awry away from being out for awhile.

Maybe we could do:

Chill/Shelly/Lue

for

Calderon/Garbajosa/Graham

That might work best. I actually like Garbajosa more than Shelly anyways. Still dont know if Colangelo would do it.

• Premium Member

Trust me the guy that turned me on to that one is a Calderon fan. The fear with him is the $$ and the possibility of flight back to Spain though. I think they might make him an offer this offseason but that's just my gut feelings, not based on what I have heard.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The problem with this deal, is that I think Toronto can get more than that from someone else.

After some thought, I agree.

Judging by Soth's info, the Raptors want Childress + another asset, and I don't blame them (b/c Childress is due a raise).

I do think Colangelo would trade Garbajosa with Calderon b/c he's got limited upside, won't be happy with his buddy gone, and kinda pissed off the Raptors by not getting surgery. Plus, they already have plenty of reserve option at the 3, and would have another 4 if they picked up Shelden. I think Calderon and Garbajosa are likely to be traded together.

I think Childress would be intriguing to them b/c he offers a skill set they don't have, and the fact that Shelden is cheap for 2.5 more years is a major plus.

The problem is the luxury tax. Toronto can't take back more than ~700K than they send out, or they'll lose millions. The way to solve that is to swap AJ -for- Juan Dixon. A Garbs/Calderon/Dixon -for- AJ/Childress/Shelden trade gives the Raptors more than enough value for their backup PG, and keeps them under the tax.

The Hawks would have enough money to re-sign both Calderon and Smith, and having Garbajosa playing in Atlanta would be a major incentive for him to re-sign (he's restricted anyway). He's going to get more than the MLE from Atlanta, and that's a lot more than he would get in Europe IMHO.

Atlanta then could trade either Dixon or Salim, since they're redundant. If you trade Dixon, I would target Utah's Gordan Giricek, who was rumored to be on the block anyway. (Swapping Dixon -for- Gordan saves Utah some $, too). If you trade Salim, there are several options (e.g., Kirk Snyder, Antoine Wright, Shannon Brown, CJ Miles).

For kicks:

Calderon/Law/Lue

JJ/Dixon

Marvin/Giricek

Smith/Garbs/Jones

Zaza/Horford

IR: Claxton, West, Wright

For giggles:

TJ/AJ/Martin

Parker/Delfino

Childress/Kapono

Bosh/Shelden/Hump

Bargnani/Rasho

IR: Moon, Graham, Baston

Since I don't think...

Quote:

1 of Lue/AJ (take your pick)

1 of Childress/Shelden (take your pick)

1 of Salim/Jones (Salim if Shelden, Jones if Childress)

-for-

Calderon

Garbajosa (Calderon insurance)

1 of Delfino/Graham/Dixon (reserve wing)

...gets it done

How about, Childress/SW/Lue or AJ for Calderon/Garbosa/Toronto's top 11 (or lottery) protected 1st rd pick?

We lose some toughness with SW although Horford is here to help in that area and SJ deserves some PT. We lose Childress but likely couldn't afford to resign him to remain a BU. We gain our ideal starting Pg AND a 1st rd pick, roughly 15-18 IMO.

Toronto gains some much needed toughness and rebounding in SW, a better version of Jamario Moon in Childress, and comes close to filling their BU Pg need.

We could also do Calderon/Moon/Garbosa for SW/JC/Lue or AJ trade. Sure, we lose on talent but win overall. 1st) Moon should be able to fill JC role well, Law can also play some BU Sg, and Moon is a better 3pt shooter than JC that simply won't cost us much. 2nd) Calderon simply fits what this team badly needs and is more valuable to us than Childress. 3) SW? I know he WAS a 5th pick, but no trade should hinge on whether SW stays or goes, especially if you have JS and Horford at Pf. We soften the loss of Childress with Moon, significantly better the ENTIRE team with Calderon, and don't harm the team much with the loss of SW.

W

I think that would be a good trade if they would go for it W. SW was a #5 pick, but he was basically replaced by the #3 pick of Horford...much as JC was replaced by the pick of Marvin. I don't know if JC can be a starter in this league or not - but he would have a much better chance at it if he were away from here.

Key thing is - we would get what we need and our team would be improved.

• Premium Member

I have no idea whether Toronto would be willing to move a protected-first for Shelden. It's hard to gauge his worth.

Good thinking regardless

Quote:

Calderon/Moon/Garbosa for SW/JC/Lue or AJ trade

That's puts them into the luxury tax. The Dixon trade is about the best I could do without resorting to a 4 -for- 4, which simply isn't happening.

I do offer this deal:

Calderon/Graham/Garbajosa -for- AJ/Childress/Jones. The problem with this deal is that the Hawks would have to go over the cap to re-sign Calderon and Smith, something I'm not sure they're willing to do.

Quote:

I think that would be a good trade if they would go for it W. SW was a #5 pick, but he was basically replaced by the #3 pick of Horford...much as JC was replaced by the pick of Marvin. I don't know if JC can be a starter in this league or not - but he would have a much better chance at it if he were away from here.

Key thing is - we would get what we need and our team would be improved.

I'm also thinking we can't afford all these prospects. Do a 2 for 1 and get what we need and can justify affording. Hard to pay a BU 2/3 and a 3rd string Pf over a starter to star quality Pg and a budget, similar, slightly lesser BU 2/3.

W

Why do you guys do this to yourselves? You know there is no way in hell we could get Calderon here, so why even go through the "possible" trade scenarios?

And be leery of backups who look "great" in the backup role. They may not look that great as the starter. Not saying that we couldn't use Calderon, because we definitely could. But this topic really isn't even worth discussing.

Quote:

Why do you guys do this to yourselves? You know there is no way in hell we could get Calderon here, so why even go through the "possible" trade scenarios?

I don't see what is the reason we couldn't get Calderon here. It's another area we might have to overpay with talent to get him here (JC/SW for Calderon/Moon/maybe also Garbojsa) but that would more likely still help the team overall. So please, why exactly if the scenario is right can we not get Calderon

Quote:

And be leery of backups who look "great" in the backup role.

You mean like Childress? Maybe SW.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

The same reason people on here argue about player rotations, coaching changes, etc. Why waste your time on a sports message board to begin with?

Quote:

And be leery of backups who look "great" in the backup role. They may not look that great as the starter.

Go check out Calderon's numbers as a starter last year. Also, look at his success in Europe.

He's a capable starter.

Quote:

But this topic really isn't even worth discussing.

I think I'm as good a judge of that as you are, sorry.

Quote:

Ive watched almost every Raptors game this year. The guy is legit, and he brings the exact skill set we need out of the PG position.

Plus, b/c he is a backup, he SHOULD be attainable (I dont think Toronto can extend him this summer).

So, it may be a waste of time considering BK/ownership wont do anything, but I tihnk it IS worth talking about a stand-out pg who brings exactly what we need AND is attainable (the dude is 23 too).

Quote:

Quote:

Ive watched almost every Raptors game this year. The guy is legit, and he brings the exact skill set we need out of the PG position.

Plus, b/c he is a backup, he SHOULD be attainable (I dont think Toronto can extend him this summer).

So, it may be a waste of time considering BK/ownership wont do anything, but I tihnk it IS worth talking about a stand-out pg who brings exactly what we need AND is attainable (the dude is 23 too).

I mean isn't this exactly what Speedy was?