• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

OT: Calderon currently 3rd in PER for PG's.

mrhonline

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And be leery of backups who look "great" in the backup role.

Ive watched almost every Raptors game this year. The guy is legit, and he brings the exact skill set we need out of the PG position.

Plus, b/c he is a backup, he SHOULD be attainable (I dont think Toronto can extend him this summer).

So, it may be a waste of time considering BK/ownership wont do anything, but I tihnk it IS worth talking about a stand-out pg who brings exactly what we need AND is attainable (the dude is 23 too).

I mean isn't this exactly what Speedy was?

Not at all, actually. Calderon is 23 and still sharply on the upswing of his career. He's not a career backup. He's in his second season in a place that already had a firmly situated starter in Ford. He hasnt had the chance to start yet b/c Ford has been there the entire time.

But EVERYONE who watches him for extended games can see that this guy is a starter, and probably a top 10 pg in this league.

A better comparison is Conley, actually. The young guy in the backup role who everyone knows will be a starter some day. The difference is, while Conley will probably supplant Lowry, I dont think Calderon would supplant Ford (unless they trade Ford, and heck, Id take him too).

Also, Calderon shows NONE of the injury conditions that have plagued a guy like Speedy (and a guy like Ford, for that matter).

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calderon is a much better player than Childress and we need to give up another significant piece (Shelden Williams is not a significant piece) to pry him away. I like Acie Law, but he is a year away, and I'd be willing to make this trade:

Childress and Law

for

Calderon, Kapono, Dixon

Kapono is overpaid, but he is the 3 point threat that the Hawks could use. Dixon is a throw-in to make the salaries work. I think we'd have to wait a little while before Kapono becomes eligible for a trade because he was recently signed, but this seems like a reasonable offer that the Raps would have to actually consider. Calderon has significantly more value than Childress but Law has significantly more value than Kapono + Dixon and gives Toronto the backup PG they need with Calderon gone.