• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Spurs Prediction and Matchups...

Diesel

• Premium Member

How can I have hope that we're going to win this game?

They are the world Champs.

They have Tim Duncan, Ginobilli, and Parker.

We are not that good.

They have much better coaching than us.

What's my prediction:

Hawks 99, Spurs 93.

We can beat them if we control pace and their guards. I think this game will come down to defense on the PGs and Horf/Smoove and Chillz. For some reason, I believe that we can out hustle this team. I think we will be allowed to match up man to man (offensively) and that will lead to us winning. If for some strange reason, the Spurs switch to a zone, we're in trouble. I think San Anton will push the pace, play man to man... and it will allow us to shoot a high percentage.

Quote:

How can I have hope that we're going to win this game?

They are the world Champs.

They have Tim Duncan, Ginobilli, and Parker.

We are not that good.

They have much better coaching than us.

What's my prediction:

Hawks 99, Spurs 93.

We can beat them if we control pace and their guards. I think this game will come down to defense on the PGs and Horf/Smoove and Chillz. For some reason, I believe that we can out hustle this team. I think we will be allowed to match up man to man (offensively) and that will lead to us winning. If for some strange reason, the Spurs switch to a zone, we're in trouble. I think San Anton will push the pace, play man to man... and it will allow us to shoot a high percentage.

This is probably going to be one of those games where the hawks score 80 points. Tonight could take away the Hawks confidence for the rest of the season. After the losses to Seattle and the Bucks, this could be the final nail in the coffin.

I simply can't watch. The Hawks struggle with effective PG's and big men and that's SA's strength.

I think there's a strong chance we win tonight...Meaning Woody will be here the next 2 years.

If you all remember, exactly 2 years ago, we were in this same situation. An even more horrid record (2-9 or something?), Woody was on the hotseat, we win, and here he still is, the worst coach in the NBA.

We'll either sack up, come out on a high like we did against Dallas/Phoenix, and steal an 8 point win...

...or we'll simply be overmatched against a superior team and lose by 20 like we did in Boston.

I'm not seeing a middle ground. Falling down by double digits at halftime and then rallying back to have a chance to win doesn't happen against championship teams.

• Premium Member

If this game was in San Anton, we'd have no shot. But the Hawks will have a chance to go to Big Daddy's... get their grub on... and they will come out and shoot the lights out as long as San Anton doesn't play a zone!

They have no answer for Josh Smith. I would match him up with Oberto and abuse his azz all day. I think that Horford can match up with Duncan. I beleive that Duncan may score 20+ but it will be an inefficient 20+. I suspect they will put Bowen on JJ. We need to get him into foul trouble.

IDK what we do with Manu. Pray I guess

Quote:

We'll either sack up, come out on a high like we did against Dallas/Phoenix, and steal an 8 point win...

...or we'll simply be overmatched against a superior team and lose by 20 like we did in Boston.

I'm not seeing a middle ground. Falling down by double digits at halftime and then rallying back to have a chance to win doesn't happen against championship teams.

that's the way I see it. I can see SA winning 95-80 or something like that.

Quote:

If this game was in San Anton, we'd have no shot. But the Hawks will have a chance to go to Big Daddy's... get their grub on... and they will come out and shoot the lights out as long as San Anton doesn't play a zone!

It's a home game? All I remember is that they're playing SA. I didn't even really watch the bucks game too much because I knew what it was going to be. Even if they had beaten Seattle in that overtime game they still would have lost.

Quote:

They have no answer for Josh Smith.

Tim Duncan?

Smoove has been scoring the bulk of his points when he takes it the hole. Duncan won't be very accomodating in that regard.

Still, Smoove has struggled against the Spurs in the past (maybe more so than against any other team), so I hope he has a mini breakout.

Quote:

They have no answer for Josh Smith. I would match him up with Oberto and abuse his azz all day.

How do you suggest that we dictate who will guard Smith? Surely you're not saying that if we have Smith guard Oberto, that will force Popovich to do the same on the other end of the floor, are you?

Quote:

Honestly I have no clue who will win. My homerism tells me that we can win because we have shown SIGNS of being better. My basketball knowledge side says we get beat by 15 points. Ginobli killed us last year, and we can't just focus on one guy.

Agreed. San Antonio is the kind of veteran, well coached, fundamentally sound team that should steamroll the Hawks. Best chance for winning is if San Antonio is disinterested in the game.

Biggest problem is the Hawks have absolutely no one to stop Parker from getting into the lane.

• Premium Member

Over the past 3 years, we are 2-4 against the Spurs with some tight losses. I think if they push the pace but don't play Zone, we can win this game.

Diesel Keys to the game:

Don't put Horf on Duncan... This is a game where we should see Shelden and Solomon Jones play some minutes. Horf on Duncan will lead to Horf fouling out. Shelden and Zaza can match strength with Duncan. Put Horf on Fabrico or whoever else is in the frontcourt.

Take some time to run

For at least 8 minutes in the 2nd, I would try Salim, Lue, JJ, MW/JC, and Horf. I would play this three PG set like Cleveland and Phoenix used to play it back in the day. The reason being is because you open up the floor with the shooters.

Punish Ginobili, Parker, and Finley for coming down the lane. San Anton runs rough shot over most teams because most teams refuse to play tough ball. I was a fan of the bad boys. Nobody came down the lane without catching an accidental elbow or a kungfu chop. Shelden/Solomon has to step up and be the guy who enforces the lane.

Drive on Duncan Duncan has very good feet, but Smoove ought to get the iso and be allowed to test him more than 3 times tonight. Duncan will commit the foul if beat and Smoove can beat him!

Our problem is not neccessarily with Duncan. Our problem is with these other guys Ginobili, Finley and Parker. IF we make the game Physical, and play them tight like we played Charlotte, we will win this game!

No way Horford, Shelden or Zaza can guard Duncan man to man. We had better be prepared to double him quite a bit tonight. I think we should double him on the catch until the Spurs outside shooters prove that they are going to hit their shots tonight.

I am concerned about Ginobili and his ability to penetrate. That guy is relentless and I don't know if we have anyone quick enough to stay with him. I agree with you that we need to be physical with their guys when they penetrate.

I think our best chance to win is to use our length/quickness to contest their shots and to limit them to one shot as often as possible. We need to take care of the ball and attack the basket on the offensive end. We can't settle for jumpers and we need to try to get to the line alot. I think we have a shot but we had better play hard for 48 minutes or we could get run out of the building.

Quote:

Quote:

that's the way I see it. I can see SA winning 95-80 or something like that.

I was off 3 points from Atlanta's side.