• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why is Josh Smith so immature?

BHayley

• Premium Member

Quote:

He needs to grow up and get a real coach to teach him how to play PF, not this awkward sky hook shots against the best big man in the league

Why are people always blaming someone else for Smith's bad play?? I know that I sound like a broken record but it is true. Smith is not a good offensive basketball player period and he is quickly becoming a bad defensive player! People that were claiming that he was a better small forward than Marvin are now realizing how stupid their statement were back in the summer. Smith and JJ seem to function best as one on one offensive threats whereas Childress & Marvin are smart with and without the ball. The problem is that Smith is a terrible one on one player and JJ is just above average. This team has a basketball IQ problem! Not a physical one!!

Something tells me Woody has tried again and again and again and again.....so on and so on ... to get these points across to this kid but he has his own agenda. He thinks he is a combo of Nique and our starting point guard. All he really is, is a guy who should be on the trading block.

Josh Smith has not received a lick of coaching since he arrived in the NBA. Neither have the other Hawk youngsters but at least they had the advantage of a year or more of solid coaching at the collegiate level.

This is also exactly why this team needs an experienced point guard who can actually play. They need someone who takes charge of the ball. Some young guys like Chris Paul, or a young Jason Kidd can do that, but those types are hard to get (of course BK whiffed on that). This team needs a coach on the floor, because it is not getting any coaching from the bench.

I just hope that Law grows into the role before it is too late to save the rest of the team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

This team has a basketball IQ problem! Not a physical one!!

Actually the team has a coaching problem and no point guard since Ryan Hollins is a complete idiot. When you don't have a PG to get your team the ball, you don't have a coach with an offensive gameplan, and you don't push the ball and run... you become a 1 on 1 team. A legit coach who had any dignity at all would not let Smith take those shots, but Smith is basically forced to because noone else on the team can create on their own.

• Moderators

Quote:

And what's up with him and the layups? Just Dunk it on people dude!

I don't understand why he was able to get so many more dunks his first year in the league than he does now. Is that just a matter of my misperception? I can't imagine any physical problem that is keeping him from dunking with the league's best.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand why he was able to get so many more dunks his first year in the league than he does now. Is that just a matter of my misperception? I can't imagine any physical problem that is keeping him from dunking with the league's best.

Maybe he finds it easier to lay it up, than have to overpower everyone for a dunk, but I wish he dunked it more.

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I don't get it either. I seriously don't think I have seen him get a highlight reel style dunk on a fast break or dunk over anyone ALL season. He just isn't doing it for some reason.

• Admin

oh c'mon now. I'm as ready for Woodson to go as anyone, but the one thing he HAS done right is coach our young talent into legit NBA players. They've all progressed under his teaching. As I said, I'm ready for him to go, but I'm not going to blindly deny him the credit I think he deserves.

Josh's problems are HIS and HIS ALONE. The fact that he is a tweener who is neither a PF or SF is made worse by his stubborn, bad attitude. His attitude got worse after they denied him the extension he wanted and in his mind, he's a marked man around there now. I have little doubt that a lot of the stupid things he does are an "I'll show them" move on his part.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I don't get it either. I seriously don't think I have seen him get a highlight reel style dunk on a fast break or dunk over anyone ALL season. He just isn't doing it for some reason.

Maybe that Quad injury still bother him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Not at all. I watched last night and on several occassions, he would beat his man off the dribble, have th opportunity to dunk but would take some circus layup that didn't go in. Somebody got to sit Josh Smith Down, pull out some old Shawn Kemp footage and tell Smoove that he's not a fineese player!!!

I'll start.

Footage for Smoove to watch..

• Admin

That's not Josh Smith though Diesel. Josh has never been a go up in traffic and slam it down dunker. If he's on the break and has guys trailing him, he'll slam it down all day long. But if there's a defender in his FOV, he almost never tries to dunk. Childress is more likely to go up and dunk over a guy than Smith is.

• Premium Member

Quote:

oh c'mon now. I'm as ready for Woodson to go as anyone, but the one thing he HAS done right is coach our young talent into legit NBA players. They've all progressed under his teaching. As I said, I'm ready for him to go, but I'm not going to blindly deny him the credit I think he deserves.

Josh's problems are HIS and HIS ALONE. The fact that he is a tweener who is neither a PF or SF is made worse by his stubborn, bad attitude. His attitude got worse after they denied him the extension he wanted and in his mind, he's a marked man around there now. I have little doubt that a lot of the stupid things he does are an "I'll show them" move on his part.

Why is this not obvious to everyone who watches the games

Quote:

Josh Smith has not received a lick of coaching since he arrived in the NBA. Neither have the other Hawk youngsters but at least they had the advantage of a year or more of solid coaching at the collegiate level.

LOL . . that's complete BS. If it wasn't for this coaching staff, Smoove would still be trying to be a 2-guard that shot a ton of threes, instead of an attacking offensive player. He's just needs to know when to attack, and who to attack. LOL . . you can't attack an all-NBA 1st defensive team player like Duncan. Young players just don't develop on their own in this league.