• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Speedy Status Reporting is Unprofessional IMO

TheDude

Why the hell can we not get a solid answer on Speedy's condition? How can someone be day to day for such a long time without any future estimations on his return?

You have an injury, then you have an estimated date of return. Even if it is a chronic injury, you should have a timetable estimation for return.

If the injury is such a nagging nature where you cannot give that, then that means he is done.

This is essentially what we are getting right now-> Speedy's knee is acting up again although we thought he would be healthy and because it's a nagging injury we don't know when he can return. Why not? because we don't know the problem.

Extremely unprofessional. This man is getting paid a lot of money. I understand if he just can't play and am not blaming Speedy but the fact that the organization is in some type of limbo on him is ridiculous.

I don't think that the team is in limbo, I think they are moving on without him. They probably feel like they were burned last year when he thought he would be back by a certain date and he wasn't. So I'm guessing they are treating him like a mid-season acquisition, if he comes back at all.

AnakinJoe is right on. No one within the organization is expecting ANYTHING from Speedy at this point. If he does somehow miraculously get healthy, I'm sure they will be happy but they are not counting on it.

As for the reporting, there is nothing new to report and there likely will be nothing new to report. Why would Sekou or anyone else keep saying over and over that Speedy is still experiencing pain in his knee and the doctors don't know when or even if he will ever be able to play again?

I don't blame Speedy (I think he wants to play) but it is what it is. He's like a PG version of Theo Ratliff.

Quote:

I don't blame Speedy (I think he wants to play) but it is what it is. He's like a PG version of Theo Ratliff.

I do blame Speedy if he takes a check beyond this year. He needs to hang up the sneakers. Plenty of blame to go around on this one, eh hem BK.

W

Quote:

Quote:

I do blame Speedy if he takes a check beyond this year. He needs to hang up the sneakers. Plenty of blame to go around on this one, eh hem BK.

W

Is it your money?

Is your knee injured?

stirthepot.gif

• Moderators

Quote:

I see Walter's point but how many "athletes" are going to call it quits and walk away from that much money? I am sure Speedy wants to play but I mean what could be wrong with him? If it is that bad then why not have surgery to correct it.

Speedy is never going to walk away from the money and doesnt have to - it is guaranteed.

If he retires due to a medical condition that prevents him from playig, it clears room under the cap and he keeps all the money for the 4 year contract. He gets the money either way and if he can't help on the floor, he should man up and retire with his 8 figure contract to help that team that enriched him cut its losses.

• Moderators

Quote:

Wouldn't he have to take some kind of buy out for it to come off of the cap? I admit I am not up to date on all of the salary cap wrangling.

No. He doesn't need to give up a penny of his contract to come off the cap. He does have to be certified by a doctor and can't just claim to be unable to play. It is pretty reasonable to think that he could qualify given his past history and the chronic nature of his problems. If he doesn't qualify, then keep trying to come back. But for the team, he should schedule an appointment and try to get approved for retirement to help the team.

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't he have to take some kind of buy out for it to come off of the cap? I admit I am not up to date on all of the salary cap wrangling.

No. He doesn't need to give up a penny of his contract to come off the cap. He does have to be certified by a doctor and can't just claim to be unable to play. It is pretty reasonable to think that he could qualify given his past history and the chronic nature of his problems. If he doesn't qualify, then keep trying to come back. But for the team, he should schedule an appointment and try to get approved for retirement to help the team.

If he thinks that there is still a chance that he can play - why would he do that?

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If he thinks that there is still a chance that he can play - why would he do that?

Because if the doctor agrees he can play he doesn't retire and because he is just literally harming the team he is supposed to be helping with his non-presence. He might feel an obligation to do something for the good of the team after taking $16 million dollars from them.

He also is clearly not someone who likes to play through pain and if he has chronic knee issues he might be content to move on in life rather than risk further damage to his body by continuing to play.

I understand that it may be a chronic injury and it can't play.

But I want is for someone, ANYONE, to admit something. Admit that they think he may not be able to come back. There's nothing NEW to report I get it. But we can't just live on wedon'tknows until his contract runs out.

The organization needs to proactive in finding out if Speedy is really done and if he is, start the process of seeing if it can be considered a medical retirement (so we dont lose money and he still gets his). I beleive in the offseason BEFORE speedy went to a 2nd doctor, that a doctor said he was done but he went to another guy who supposedly sorta fixed him. So it is definitely in the realm of possibility of getting a medretire on him.

But does the organization actually plan on him sitting on the bench for years without contributing? Heck, i'd rather lose the money on the contract but open a spot on the roster.

Quote:

I understand that it may be a chronic injury and it can't play.

But I want is for someone, ANYONE, to admit something. Admit that they think he may not be able to come back. There's nothing NEW to report I get it. But we can't just live on wedon'tknows until his contract runs out.

The organization needs to proactive in finding out if Speedy is really done and if he is, start the process of seeing if it can be considered a medical retirement (so we dont lose money and he still gets his). I beleive in the offseason BEFORE speedy went to a 2nd doctor, that a doctor said he was done but he went to another guy who supposedly sorta fixed him. So it is definitely in the realm of possibility of getting a medretire on him.

But does the organization actually plan on him sitting on the bench for years without contributing? Heck, i'd rather lose the money on the contract but open a spot on the roster.

Speedy is basically the Mike Hampton of the Hawks...although I think that Speedy is stealing more money total than Hampton.