• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Speedy Status Reporting is Unprofessional IMO

TheDude

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wouldn't he have to take some kind of buy out for it to come off of the cap? I admit I am not up to date on all of the salary cap wrangling.

No. He doesn't need to give up a penny of his contract to come off the cap. He does have to be certified by a doctor and can't just claim to be unable to play. It is pretty reasonable to think that he could qualify given his past history and the chronic nature of his problems. If he doesn't qualify, then keep trying to come back. But for the team, he should schedule an appointment and try to get approved for retirement to help the team.

If he thinks that there is still a chance that he can play - why would he do that?

Because if the doctor agrees he can play he doesn't retire and because he is just literally harming the team he is supposed to be helping with his non-presence. He might feel an obligation to do something for the good of the team after taking $16 million dollars from them.

He also is clearly not someone who likes to play through pain and if he has chronic knee issues he might be content to move on in life rather than risk further damage to his body by continuing to play.

I couldn't agree more with everything you're saying, AHF. Besides, it's not like he is a legend and is being forced to walk away. We are not missing any artistry with his absence. He wasn't fun to watch and possessed no real skills that we as sports fans fall in love with. He should understand what his place was in the game and walk away. Because, if he truly wanted to compete, he would be doing it. I won't miss a single thing about him.

Face it, Speedy is going down the path of former Hawk Ken Norman. Remember him from the mid-90's? He was brought in here to make a difference and (for that time period) he was overpaid. Norman stayed injured and never lived up to his contract. He milked the Hawks until the very end of his contract (although he knew his playing days were over). Speedy's going to go where the money is.