• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Opinions on Yi

exodus

I watched some of Yi's playoff games and formed my opinion about him from that. I didn't see him do anything on post ups or moves off the dribble. I saw him get overpowered down low. I saw him take a lot of open jumpers that missed.

Looks like the only thing about his game that has changed is that he makes his jumper more often.

Just curious about what you guys think of him now that you have seen him twice.

Quote:

I did not get to watch the game tonight; so I have only seen him once. I think he has the potential to be a really good player. He has a smoothe movement about him and good co-ordination for someone that tall. He does need to add some weight; and I do not think that is going to be an issue in the near future.

I really think he will be an all-star one day.

Quote:

Quote:

I did not get to watch the game tonight; so I have only seen him once. I think he has the potential to be a really good player. He has a smoothe movement about him and good co-ordination for someone that tall. He does need to add some weight; and I do not think that is going to be an issue in the near future.

I really think he will be an all-star one day.

He has a long way to go. He definitely tries to play within the system. Very high IQ. Very weak. Adjusted quickly to the NBA but doesn't try too many things. It'll take a good 3 years before we know if he has all star potential. Its hard to understand his weaknesses, since he doesn't try to expose his skillset. Great shooter already. long. I doubt if he'll ever be a top 10 shot blocker. I wanted Yi over Horford. At this time, the probability is 80%+ that I was wrong.

• Admin

Whatever, you obviously have not seen many of his games. He is a rookie don't forget but he not a Matt Bullard. He had an off game tonight but he is already a really good player. He has a nice all around game that is going to improve with experience.

Quote:

Whatever, you obviously have not seen many of his games. He is a rookie don't forget but he not a Matt Bullard. He had an off game tonight but he is already a really good player. He has a nice all around game that is going to improve with experience.

Yi is a shooter.

Matt Bullard was a shooter.

Yi has the "potential" ( there's that word that all Hawks fans love ) to be a Detlef Schremph type player.

But right now, he's an athletic, better rebounding version of Matt Bullard

Quote:

Quote:

Yi is a shooter.

Matt Bullard was a shooter.

Yi has the "potential" ( there's that word that all Hawks fans love ) to be a Detlef Schremph type player.

But right now, he's an athletic, better rebounding version of Matt Bullard

LOL@Northcyde.

At least you didn't say he is a Hanno Mottolla reincarnated.

Every Bucks fan is enamored by Yi. Someone should put your comment in their forum and check the reaction.

• Moderators

Personally, I still think Yi is going to be very good. He is certainly not ready to dominate but is coming along pretty well. His ability is vastly better than someone like Bullard. He will be an interesting player to track.

I have been very happy with Horford and loved hearing him score in the post over Bogut early in the game.

• Premium Member

Once Yi has some experience under his belt, he will be pretty good. Early on last night, he hit a nice shot and got in for a good putback. I just think Milwaukee is using him in a off way. They station him on the perimeter and let him set the screen for Redd and fade. He doesn't get many touches and most of his touches are on putbacks.

However, he's as fast as advertised. He has good body control. He has good form on his shots. He runs the screen and fade nicely so I guess he prolly has a good BBIQ. I don't think Stats tell the whole story for him.

I saw him get over powered by Horford at least twice in the paint.

I never expectd Yi to much in the paint immediatly, any way. He is what he is, a 7 footer who hangs out on the perimeter and is eiter o scared or to frail to mix it up in the paint like a 7 footer should.

He is still doing MUCH better then I though he would in his firstseason.

However he is playing like a SF. I have never been a fan of 7 footers playing like SFs.

• Premium Member

I can deal with a 7 footer who plays like a Sf IF there's some strong PF/C to play beside him. The reason being is that it will cause a matchup problem. Most Sfs can't matchup with a 7 footer. Especially one that's fast.

Dirk is not as fast as Yi... Not close really. Once Yi gets the size on him... and maybe work up a post up game, I think he's going to be dangerous playing next to Bogut.

Quote:

Dirk is not as fast as Yi... Not close really.

Yi is fast without the ball. With the ball in his hands he is no faster than Shelden.

If he is so fast why isn't he beating guys off the dribble when he gets it on the perimeter? Because he can't dribble. Dirk can and he can shoot off the dribble as well. I have yet to see Yi do anything off the dribble.

Quote:

I saw him get over powered by Horford at least twice in the paint.

I never expectd Yi to much in the paint immediatly, any way. He is what he is, a 7 footer who hangs out on the perimeter and is eiter o scared or to frail to mix it up in the paint like a 7 footer should.

He is still doing MUCH better then I though he would in his firstseason.

However he is playing like a SF. I have never been a fan of 7 footers playing like SFs.

Horford was the strongest player in the draft.

I think he can get stronger. If he does so Milwaukee may have a good player....... 2 or 3 years from now and that's if he doesn't get injured.

To me the bottom line is winning ballgames. The bucks seems to be doing that now. We'll see if it's all smoke and mirrors in short fashion.

They made us look pretty good offensively. I don't know how much Yi had to do with that.

Quote:

Very high IQ.

See, this is what gets me about everyone with Yi. His basketball IQ is very small, imo. It has to be. With that skill set he should be doing more. What I see is someone who has been taught how to do everything physically like a machine. However, philosophically he doesn't seem to have been taught spacing and how to maximize his talents as an individual within the team. He doesn't see the floor like a basketball player. I don't think many Chinese do. Many times, I see Yi and all he would have to do to get the ball is cut across the paint and shield. He's 7ft. He plays like he's Shane Battier size or smaller, though. He doesn't "want it" nearly enough for my tastes. He plays like the Chines made him to play. He's always had to defer and his NBA career will be no different, imo.