• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks vs Pistons Preview

JJFAN4LF

First I have to say, great game tonight. Smoove played under control but had some bad decision making in a couple of plays.

I think the key to winning this game is exactly what we did to Philadelphia, DEFENSE. We're also gonna have to share the ball more than we usually do.

Stopping Chauncey Billups is gonna be a tough one. We don't really have a PG that can stop him all game long, Speedy would be good matching Chauncey in defense but obviously, that won't happen.

Someone is gonna have to switch guarding Richard Hamilton. Joe can't be guarding him all game long, we don't want to wear Joe out. We need his offense.

Put Smoove on Rasheed. Rasheed can post or shoot the ball, Josh Smith is the only one capable of guarding a big man that can post and shoot.

Our bench needs to step up big time. Mario West hopefully will get some minutes guarding Hamilton. Hopefully he just won't foul too much. Salim probably won't play much, but if he does, he can't be chucking up the ball.

It's gonna be a tough game. We're gonna have to play 48 minutes of HARD basketball.

I am interested in seeing:

Maxielle, McDeysse, & Wallace

vs.

Horford, Smith, Sheldon, (ZaZa if healthy)

Make Wallace and McDeysse jump shooters. Kee the out of the paint. Shelden played well physically vs. Maxiel erlier in the year.Smith also chaleged alot ofhis shots. I hope to seemoe of that. He was major spark off the benh for them last game.

Then Prince normally gives Marvin issues. Chillz and Marvin hvetheir work cut out for them.

Rip had a big game vs. us earlier in the season. I agree West needs some early minutes vs. him, Chills will get a shot too. This is a game where JJ needs some early rest to finish the game. Asking him to chase Hamilton around in the 2nd nigt of back to backs, play 40 + minutes, and win the game offensively in the last 2 mnutes would wear on anybody.

Bullups vs. Law. The teacher vs. the student.

It will be a fun game to watch, many good match ups. The Hawks definately have to play their "A" game vs. a Pistons team that has played together longer then any team in the East.

We HAVE to box Maxiel out, keep him out of the paint. He cannot have any effect outside of the paint. I think Mario should be used a lot of Hamilton if Hamilton starts getting a rythym. Josh has to play smart against Rasheed. Let him shoot his jumpers (contest but don't get caught in the air) but not work the paint. Acie will be good against Billups (although not as strong as Billups) but he will need help.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOUL, DON'T FOUL BILLUPS OR HAMILTON.

keep the ball moving on offense. keep the bodies moving on offense.

Is Zaza going to play?

Not trying to be mean but we are a much better team without him because the Smoove/Horford front court is by far our best.

And Shelden off the bench is a better option than Zaza with the effort he gives defensively and although he may not be an offensive juggernaut he does have basketball IQ to set up the high screen/pick and roll.

Quote:

Is Zaza going to play?

Not trying to be mean but we are a much better team without him because the Smoove/Horford front court is by far our best.

And Shelden off the bench is a better option than Zaza with the effort he gives defensively and although he may not be an offensive juggernaut he does have basketball IQ to set up the high screen/pick and roll.

Agree completely. Not sure why Woodson can't see that Horford is better than Zaza? If Zaza didn't keep getting hurt, I doubt that Al would have gotten all the playing time he's been getting. No offense to Zaza, but Horf passed him by in week #1. He's going to force Woodson to play him more. Zaza should just be used as Horf's sub, IMO.

• Premium Member

Can we stop Billups...

and

Will we take sensible shots.

Woody has always planned well for Detroit. I suspect they will play a physical brand of basketball. If we can stop Billups... I think we have a good shot.

I know the matchup difficulty we have with Prince... But Prince has never broke out for 32. I know the big shots Sheed can hit.. But Sheed has never broke out for 32. I realize that they are a good rebounding team... Still I think our athleticism can beat them. Last time we played, they ran us tired. This time, we should return the favor... Keep down the turnovers and steal their rebounding advantage.

Here's to us playing well!