• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Save Us Larry!!!!!!!!!!

LastDon

I think that we should seriously consider bringing in Larry Brown to be our coach. I would love to have him as the coach if he would come in at a fair price. Money shouldn't be an issue with him still being paid by the knicks. Also, Larry wants to coach again but for some reason is being black balled by the outcome of his Knick situation.

No one can question Larry Browns pedigree and he has the ability to make a talented team win. I think he could even take this version of the Knicks team and do a better job than Zeke. However, I think he would be the perfect coach for Josh Smith and could get him to stop taking ill advised shots and play the "right way" as Brown likes to say.

I think that JJ with his mild demeanor would mesh well with Larry Brown. Brown is a proven winner and I think he would do a good job in what would seem to be his last coaching stop.

Larry Brown is the Guy to Save our season!!!!

P.S. I know that Larry is a consultant for the Philly but I very seriously doubt that he attend many games and he was at the game against us.

I THINK LARRY HAS INTEREST IN COACHING THE HAWKS!!!!

FIRE WOODY!!!!! HIRE LARRY BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!

Who do you think Woody calls every night for advice? Who do you think he learned a great deal of his coaching from? Who was the last head coach he worked under?

Larry Brown.

He brings the same style of play that Woodson does, and thats a crappy slow offense. So if you want to replace Woodson, at least replace him with a different style.

• Moderators

Larry would not be my first choice because he has not been uptempo and has frequently had no use for young players, but we could do a lot worse than trading Woodson for Larry Brown. His tenure in NY was a disaster but the man can coach.

Are you aware that we are operating with a bottom 5 payroll? That we have 8 players on rookie contracts? That we have 17 owners because thats how many it took to raise enough money to purchase the franchises?

What makes you think we're going to pay a coach "Larry Brown" kind of money? We already have the poor man's version of Larry Brown anyway.

• Moderators

Quote:

What makes you think we're going to pay a coach "Larry Brown" kind of money? We already have the poor man's version of Larry Brown anyway.

I agree that we wouldn't pay him what he wants. I am not sure that Woodson qualifies as a poor man's Larry Brown though.

• Premium Member

I respect Larry Brown, but Larry Brown would be not much different than Woody. People forget Larry in NY? He quit because of embarrassment. Mainly because without the right pieces, Larry's teams don't work.

SAVE US DEL...

or

SAVE US Mr. Westhead

Is what the chant ought to be!!!

1. Larry Brown - he will immediately bench Acie Law. He hates young players. Watching him coach the Sixers was infuriating at times. I know he is a good coach, but he just ain't coming here.

2. Del Harris - I know hardly anything about him except that he coached in China. I doubt he is the answer.

3. Paul Westhead - Um...remember what he did to Denver in the early 1990's? No thanks.

You say no to Brown, but want to bring in two other LOSER coaches? Brown woulldn't work because he, Lue, Salim and Smoove would instatly butt heads. The rest of tje squad are coachable under Brown. There are good reasons why Harris and Westidiot aren't sought after coaches. If Woody is best as an assistant coach, so are they.

• Premium Member

Quote:

2. Del Harris - I know hardly anything about him except that he coached in China. I doubt he is the answer.

Del has a long storied career.

He's the head assistant at Dallas. With 13-plus years as a head coach, he has compiled a 556-457 overall record with three different teams.

Quote:

3. Paul Westhead - Um...remember what he did to Denver in the early 1990's? No thanks.

You need to look much deeper than that.

Westhead was the inventor of Lakers Showtime. Won a championship with the Lakers. He gets ragged all the time for Denver BUT he never had a good cast in Denver. Went to LMU and led them to prominence (Gathers and Kimble)... Just recently... he took the worst team in the WNBA and in just 2 years, won a WNBA championship with them and left on top to be assistant at the Sonics.

Westhead would kill this league with Horf, JJ and our wings!!!

• Premium Member

More on Westhead:

Paul Westhead joined the Sonics coaching staff as an assistant coach on Sep. 27, 2007.

Westhead joined the Sonics after spending two years as the head coach of the WNBA Phoenix Mercury, where he compiled an overall record of 41-27 (.603) and led the Mercury to their first WNBA Championship in 2007. Known throughout his coaching career for his teams’ up-tempo style, Westhead’s 2006 Mercury team shattered the WNBA record for scoring by averaging 87.1 points per game, nearly 10 points higher than the previous mark held by the 2000 Houston Comets.

Westhead began his coaching career at LaSalle in 1970 and has spent 18 seasons as a head coach in the collegiate ranks, compiling a career 285-223 (.561) record. His most memorable collegiate stint came at Loyola Marymount from 1985-90, where he compiled a 105-48 (.686) record in five seasons and led the Lions to three consecutive NCAA appearances, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 1990. In addition to his nine seasons at LaSalle and five with Loyola Marymount, Westhead was also the head coach at George Mason from 1993-97.

Westhead’s NBA coaching career began during the 1979-80 season when he joined the Los Angeles Lakers as an assistant. Early that season he was elevated to head coach, eventually leading the Lakers to the 1980 NBA Championship. Coupled with the Mercury title this summer, Westhead is the only coach to win championships in both the NBA and WNBA.

Following his time with the Lakers, Westhead also served as head coach for the Chicago Bulls (1982-83) and Denver Nuggets (1990-92).

Everybody talks about Denver, but he only coached there 2 years.

This was his team:

1 williams,reggie SF 81 32.4 601 1277 .471 56 156 .359 216 269 .803 18.2

2 mutombo,dikembe C 71 38.3 428 869 .493 0 0 .000 321 500 .642 16.6

3 anderson,cadilla PF 82 34.1 389 854 .456 0 4 .000 167 268 .623 11.5

4 garland,winston PG 78 28.3 333 750 .444 9 28 .321 171 199 .859 10.8

5 macon,mark SG 76 30.3 333 889 .375 4 30 .133 135 185 .730 10.6

6 abdul-rauf,mahmo PG 81 19.0 356 845 .421 31 94 .330 94 108 .870 10.3

7 davis,walter SF 46 16.1 185 403 .459 5 16 .312 82 94 .872 9.9

8 liberty,marcus SF 75 20.4 275 621 .443 17 50 .340 131 180 .728 9.3

9 lichti,todd SG 68 17.3 173 376 .460 1 9 .111 99 118 .839 6.6

10 wolf,joe C 67 17.3 100 277 .361 1 11 .091 53 66 .803 3.8

11 lane,jerome PF 9 15.7 10 40 .250 0 0 .000 8 19 .421 3.1

12 brooks,kevin SF 37 7.3 43 97 .443 2 11 .182 17 21 .810 2.8

13 scheffler,steve PF 7 6.6 4 7 .571 0 0 .000 4 6 .667 1.7

14 cook,anthony PF 22 5.2 15 25 .600 0 0 .000 4 6 .667 1.5

15 hastings,scott C 40 10.5 17 50 .340 0 9 .000 24 28 .857 1.4

When Reggie Williams is your best scorer and Deke is your second best scorer... WHAT CAN YOU DO??

I think Del Harris is great. Not sure why Northcyde wouldnt want a coach with an actual track record when he defends Woodson.

Anyway, Del is getting up there in years. I think I read where he has the option of taking some time off during the season or something crazy like that...

He seems to be winding things down. I'd love him though. He'd be like going from a beaten down VW Micro Bus to an Escalade. And he knows how to coach the running game.

I find it funny that the so called basketball experts on this site thinks that Larry Brown, a coach who has won championships on the college and pro level is incapable of successfully coaching the Hawks.

Some here say " We dont need Larry Because Larry because he will not play young guys" This maybe the case on a veteran team but as coach of one of the youngest teams in the NBA what other alternatives will he have ZaZa over Horford????? AJ over Law????? Please!!!!!!!!!! This is the legendary coach Larry Brown not Mike Woodson.

Larry was very interested in taking the very young Charlotte Bobcats team so I know he doesn't have any objections to playing young players on a young team.

Others say "Larry's too expensive" This maybe true but I think that Larry would have no problem taking a 3 yr 9 million deal with incentives. I think he would take a base salary of 3 with incentives, like a 1mil bonus for making playoffs and 1mil for each round we advance in the playoffs. This would surely draw Larry to Atlanta.

Larry can't ask for the world after the Knicks debacle.

Some say "Larry doesn't fit our style." I guess they were to young to see the balance offense the Pacers had for years with Larry or the Run and Gun style the Clippers displayed with Larry as Coach.

Another segiment says "Larry would instantly Bench Acie". I think Larry would Love Acie because he is the true point guard he covets and would mold him into a more explosive Mark Jackson with D.

The guys we have as rookies are rare because they come from the first batch of Upperclassmen after the League put in the age Limit so not only are these guys seasoned but Acie and Al are very talented and both have a tremendous amount of upside. LARRY WOULD LOVE OUR ROOKIES!!!!!!!!

WE NEED LARRY BROWN AS OUR COACH!!!!!!!

HE HAS SOMETHING TO PROVE AND OUR TEAM HAS SOMETHING TO PROVE ALSO. LARRY BROWN WOULD BE THE PERFECT FIT FOR THIS TEAM!!!!!!!