• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Some Miscellaneous Things

TheDude

- I know last night there was no problem, but what is the deal with the continued problems that Phillips Arena has with it's electrical devices? It's PHILLIPS Arena for god sake. You would think they would locate the source of all the shotclock and timeclock problems and horn problems and fix it. It really makes us look shotty and unprofessional (although Phillips Arena IS one of the nicest LOOKING arenas).

- I would like to personally thank Dominique Wilkins for the speech he gave Josh Smith. It has worked beyond my expectations. Not only that, but it's also encouraging for Josh Smith to continue to play that way. He is scoring more just by playing better OVERALL ball and not forcing things.

- I could have swore that Marvin had more than his 17 points. Seemed like he was everywhere. Many of us were concerned about his aggressiveness but it seems that we can lay back off of that for awhile. He seems to demand the ball, be more vocal and attack the basket.

- I'm sorry but Jerome Jernovich (or whatever it is) is terrible. He says some pretty dumb things and generally just looks nervous the entire time. And his personality is absolutely zero. He tries to say funny things or at least somewhat witty things and it comes across bad. The other night when they had the hot chick (forgot her name) at halftime talking to her, in trying to say that a short interview with her was sufficient, he said "You know me, I only need a minute and a half with a pretty girl." He wasnt TRYING to be funny in THAT way, but I laughed my ass off. He's not a prick so I hate to bash him, but dude, the guy is horrible. And looking at him makes me uncomfortable and like i need to wash my face. I hope he doesnt read this.

- Dominique however has become very good. He seemed to start off nervous too and inexperienced (which would be because he was) but he has become very very good at it and speaks very well.

- Again, Horford pushing the ball up the court. I just love seeing that.

- Shelden was off. He was aggressive and tried to do the right things but just seemed to make mistakes. I still think with continued playing time, he will develop into something we can use but I think expecting him to be an NBA ready talent was farfetched to say the least and it's taken him some time to get used to the speed. Seems to me like he still plays nervous.

- Back to Horford. The guy is a beast.

- Rudy Gay is going to be a real talent in this league one day. Thankfully Memphis is in the West.

- I don't like that teams can get back in the game against us. You definitely don't want that to be your namesake to other teams. But I am glad that we put our starters back in to nip it in the bud. Still, Joe played too much.

- That may have been the best offensive movement in a game by the Hawks I have seen all season.

- Shot by Law at half with the offhand was great.

- AJ played lights out I felt last night. Made great passes in transition and kept the ball moving. Maybe he sees the holes in Woody's abilities and has decided to coach the team himself? But he played extremely well and he's gotten some bashing so gotta give him props. I saw him on the bench really teaching some young guy (I forgot who, think it was Law maybe) and I realized how important his presence on this team is.

- I think that even if we lose to the Pistons coming up, that we'll play better just for the fact that I believe we have some confidence gained last couple games and won't bow down. At least I hope not. I'll say the same thing I said before the last time we played the Pistons- If we lose, it's not so much of a bad thing, if we win it's huge for us.

- This will sound weird, but Joe's slump may have been a blessing in disguise. It has helped encourage ball movement and not just hoping that Joe will bail us out each time. Marvin and company realize they need to be aggressive offensively and not just wait on Joe. I hope Joe gets IT back but I hope when he does, we don't lapse back to that GoJoe mindframe.

- I love how we have been able to play bench guys lots of minutes lately. If we're going to be able to go farther, we are going to need the bench (other than Chill) to be able to fill in for us and give us rest.

Word.

Another observation:

I circle every home game where we had the night before off and our opposition didn't. We should run everyone of those teams out of Phillips - just like tonight. Did you see Darko and Gasul just doubled over?

I would like to see Acie stay in the game a little longer too - he seams to get called on too many ticky tac fouls. Maybe its the refs treating him like a rookie or he is actually playing like a rookie on the perimeter. Probably both.

Great post Doc...your point on Shelden looking "nervous" made me think. I don't know anything about coach K's style, but it could be that Shelden just wasn't used to being criticized. I know when I was a young naval officer, any congrats or praise I got just rolled off my back. But if I got criticized - I dwelled on it. It really bothered me. If this is the case, it's something that Shelden will have to handle himself IMO. He just needs to mature and be more confident.

P.S. - loved the "nip it in the bud" reference...Barney Fife 1966 tongue.gif

• Premium Member

This is a good post. I agree about Shelden I don't know WTF his problem is, it's all confidence, he just doesn't have any. Everytime I see fans of other teams commenting on him in game threads they're like "WTF happened to Shelden Williams!" Because he used to just impose his will on every game, and just looks timid as hell out there.

But overall, I agree about our team looking more confident. Marvin especially, he seems determined. He looks like a completely different player this year (with his attitude and confidence), and looks to be emerging as one of our leaders.

Quote:

- I know last night there was no problem, but what is the deal with the continued problems that Phillips Arena has with it's electrical devices? It's PHILLIPS Arena for god sake. You would think they would locate the source of all the shotclock and timeclock problems and horn problems and fix it. It really makes us look shotty and unprofessional (although Phillips Arena IS one of the nicest LOOKING arenas).

- I would like to personally thank Dominique Wilkins for the speech he gave Josh Smith. It has worked beyond my expectations. Not only that, but it's also encouraging for Josh Smith to continue to play that way. He is scoring more just by playing better OVERALL ball and not forcing things.

- I could have swore that Marvin had more than his 17 points. Seemed like he was everywhere. Many of us were concerned about his aggressiveness but it seems that we can lay back off of that for awhile. He seems to demand the ball, be more vocal and attack the basket.

- I'm sorry but Jerome Jernovich (or whatever it is) is terrible. He says some pretty dumb things and generally just looks nervous the entire time. And his personality is absolutely zero. He tries to say funny things or at least somewhat witty things and it comes across bad. The other night when they had the hot chick (forgot her name) at halftime talking to her, in trying to say that a short interview with her was sufficient, he said "You know me, I only need a minute and a half with a pretty girl." He wasnt TRYING to be funny in THAT way, but I laughed my ass off. He's not a prick so I hate to bash him, but dude, the guy is horrible. And looking at him makes me uncomfortable and like i need to wash my face. I hope he doesnt read this.

- Dominique however has become very good. He seemed to start off nervous too and inexperienced (which would be because he was) but he has become very very good at it and speaks very well.

- Again, Horford pushing the ball up the court. I just love seeing that.

- Shelden was off. He was aggressive and tried to do the right things but just seemed to make mistakes. I still think with continued playing time, he will develop into something we can use but I think expecting him to be an NBA ready talent was farfetched to say the least and it's taken him some time to get used to the speed. Seems to me like he still plays nervous.

- Back to Horford. The guy is a beast.

- Rudy Gay is going to be a real talent in this league one day. Thankfully Memphis is in the West.

- I don't like that teams can get back in the game against us. You definitely don't want that to be your namesake to other teams. But I am glad that we put our starters back in to nip it in the bud. Still, Joe played too much.

- That may have been the best offensive movement in a game by the Hawks I have seen all season.

- Shot by Law at half with the offhand was great.

- AJ played lights out I felt last night. Made great passes in transition and kept the ball moving. Maybe he sees the holes in Woody's abilities and has decided to coach the team himself? But he played extremely well and he's gotten some bashing so gotta give him props. I saw him on the bench really teaching some young guy (I forgot who, think it was Law maybe) and I realized how important his presence on this team is.

- I think that even if we lose to the Pistons coming up, that we'll play better just for the fact that I believe we have some confidence gained last couple games and won't bow down. At least I hope not. I'll say the same thing I said before the last time we played the Pistons- If we lose, it's not so much of a bad thing, if we win it's huge for us.

- This will sound weird, but Joe's slump may have been a blessing in disguise. It has helped encourage ball movement and not just hoping that Joe will bail us out each time. Marvin and company realize they need to be aggressive offensively and not just wait on Joe. I hope Joe gets IT back but I hope when he does, we don't lapse back to that GoJoe mindframe.

- I love how we have been able to play bench guys lots of minutes lately. If we're going to be able to go farther, we are going to need the bench (other than Chill) to be able to fill in for us and give us rest.

Word.

Play bench guys more minutes? Didn't JJ, Smoove and Marvin each play 40 minutes against Memphis? To me, having to play those guys such heavy minutes against a bad team is not good in the long run. Ideally the Hawks should be able to rest their top players against weaker opponents.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Shelden was off. He was aggressive and tried to do the right things but just seemed to make mistakes. I still think with continued playing time, he will develop into something we can use but I think expecting him to be an NBA ready talent was farfetched to say the least and it's taken him some time to get used to the speed. Seems to me like he still plays nervous.

Shelden has no time. Seriously, I'm watching the game, It's like 2nd qtr.. Shelden is playing well. He just scored off a baby hook shot (or whatever you want to call it)... it was in the flow of the game... and the before we get back down on offense, Woody pulls Shelden. I don't know how a player is supposed to get confidence with Woody's sub by the minute pattern.

• Premium Member

Quote:

AJ played lights out I felt last night. Made great passes in transition and kept the ball moving. Maybe he sees the holes in Woody's abilities and has decided to coach the team himself? But he played extremely well and he's gotten some bashing so gotta give him props. I saw him on the bench really teaching some young guy (I forgot who, think it was Law maybe) and I realized how important his presence on this team is.

He did OK. He still turns the ball over a lot.

• Premium Member

Quote:

This will sound weird, but Joe's slump may have been a blessing in disguise. It has helped encourage ball movement and not just hoping that Joe will bail us out each time. Marvin and company realize they need to be aggressive offensively and not just wait on Joe. I hope Joe gets IT back but I hope when he does, we don't lapse back to that GoJoe mindframe.

The best time for Joe to slump is against minor competition like we have had. When we go out West, we need Big Pimpin to be on his game!!