• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Defense has improved this year

Nicholasp27

Quote:

I know it doesn't make sense. Smith is averaging only 7 rebounds a game though. His rebounding effort needs to improve. Ditto Marvin.

I think we could also use some help from the pg spot. A lot of teams get quite of few rebounds there.

I talked about this about 2 wewks ago.

There is a pretty direct correlation between our wn and losses, and Smith's rebounding. He needs to make a better effort to help Horford on the defensive glass. And either he or Marvin need to crash the offensive boards, to see if they can get easy put-backs. Horford is the constant rebounder, because he actually boxes out people. Both Smith and Marvin tend to rely on their athletic ability to grab a board.

JJ may also need to help more on the defensive boards, since he is considerably bigger than most 2's that he face.

Quote:

We are currently 28th in the league in defensive rebounding ratio (one of Hollingers stats) which is bad regardless of any other circumstances. But what makes it really horrible is that Horford is actually 7th in the league in defensive rebounds per game yet somehow we are still at the bottom of the league. W T F

28th in defensive rebounding is HUGE...sounds like we need to crash the boards a little better...can you imagine if we were middle of the back on that? we'd have a pretty decent team there. what's encouraging is that is something that can be fixed with existent talent.

Quote:

Quote:

We are currently 28th in the league in defensive rebounding ratio (one of Hollingers stats) which is bad regardless of any other circumstances. But what makes it really horrible is that Horford is actually 7th in the league in defensive rebounds per game yet somehow we are still at the bottom of the league. W T F

28th in defensive rebounding is HUGE...sounds like we need to crash the boards a little better...can you imagine if we were middle of the back on that? we'd have a pretty decent team there. what's encouraging is that is something that can be fixed with existent talent.

Horford's the only Hawk that consistently boxes out on defense. This is Smith/Marv/JJ's biggest weakness in my opinion. All three have physical attributes that could make them excel on the boards.

I want to see our players fighting each other for loose balls and boards, even if the other team's not going after them.

Quote:

Quote:

I know it doesn't make sense. Smith is averaging only 7 rebounds a game though. His rebounding effort needs to improve. Ditto Marvin.

I think we could also use some help from the pg spot. A lot of teams get quite of few rebounds there.

There is a pretty direct correlation between our wn and losses, and Smith's rebounding. He needs to make a better effort to help Horford on the defensive glass. And either he or Marvin need to crash the offensive boards, to see if they can get easy put-backs. Horford is the constant rebounder, because he actually boxes out people. Both Smith and Marvin tend to rely on their athletic ability to grab a board.

JJ may also need to help more on the defensive boards, since he is considerably bigger than most 2's that he face.

When your center is swallowing 14 boards per game, you don't need smoove to rebound more.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When your center is swallowing 14 boards per game, you don't need smoove to rebound more.

Yes you do if you are 28th in the league in defensive rebounding as a team.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You do if you're at the back of the pack in defensive rebounding. You need your PF, SF and SG to all rebound more. You need everyone on the team but the guy closest to mid court when the shot goes up to be thinking "BOARDS!!!"

There's no excuse for the way our team (Smith and Marvin especially) simply doesn't box out the players they're defending. That's one of the most basic things in all sports. Seal your man, if everyone does it, you'll get the ball 80+% of the time.

Watching Corey Brewer get every rebound while Marvin, Smith and JJ just watched him was infuriating the other night.