• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Can we even contain Dwight Howard?

bumpyphish1

Quote:

I mean, to have a chance, he can't have more than like 25 and 14. Can Big Al slow him down? Not as worried about Lewis.

Hawks open as 9.5 pt underdogs, which is a lot, especially after two wins and a day of rest.

He only averaged 14/7 against us last year. He still can't score outside 5 feet. He is scoring 9 ppg on dunks.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ORL15A.HTM

He is quicker than other bigs which allows him to get around them and get to the rim. however he isn't quicker than Smith or Horford.

The main reason for his scoring increase is that the lane is less crowded with the opposing 4 chasing Lewis around the perimeter.

If I remember correctly, we kept him below his season averages last sesaon (or at least during most of the games last season). But this year is different because of the presence of Rashard Lewis (and Keith Bogan is making 3s too). So we can't use the same "Al Jefferson" defense since there are many more perimeter options available with Dwight.

Nope. We can't. We can only slow him down. Can't stop

him. Maybe, if he gets in foul trouble - - ? That would

surely help.

Hopefully, it doesn't go the other way, Horford getting

in foul trouble trying to slow down Dwight Howard.

They are having a great season so far and Dwight Howard

is the main reason for it. He's been great.

twocents.gif

Quote:

If I remember correctly, we kept him below his season averages last sesaon (or at least during most of the games last season). But this year is different because of the presence of Rashard Lewis (and Keith Bogan is making 3s too). So we can't use the same "Al Jefferson" defense since there are many more perimeter options available with Dwight.

We still should use the Jefferson defense as Howard doesn't pass well, and our perimeter defense has been adequate with so many long hands.

Quote:

Just check the Orlando game thread over in Realgm's orlando board. It looks like teams are figuring out Orlando. Teams that didn't double Howard and tried to shut out the others have generally done well.

I think that is the way to go. Howard is stronger and longer than Smith and Horford but overall they match up pretty well with him. They are quick enough to stop him from getting all the way to the rim.

Of course Howard can shoot over them but that is what we want. He doesn't have Jefferson's skills. I think it is easier for Horford and Smith to guard Howard 1 on 1 than Jefferson.

Joe AVERAGED 35 in 3 wins against ORL last season but he was held to 16 in our only loss.

Also, in that loss, we started the great lineup of:

Zaza

Shelden

Smoove

JJ

Cedric Bozeman

Both Marvin and Smoove were injured.

I think the keys to beating ORL tonight are to defend the perimeter and rebound the ball. If we do those two things, I think we have a shot.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I want to see if he can stay out of foul trouble

I guess I got my answer...

That sucks too, both fouls were away from the ball, I'm not even sure they WERE fouls. The first one looked like a bailout from the play before when they called Dwight for travelling.