• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Solo needs to be 'tested' this week: Give him PT!

HAWKS1986

Orlando. Detroit. Toronto.

If defense is going to be a priority than Coach Woodson has to find a way to include Soloman Jones into the lineup this week. Tayshun Prince abused the Hawks last week, Dwight Howard has been an emerging problem for the Hawks and Chris Bosh has had some good games as well.

Al Hortford has played well, but when he leaves a game his defensive presence is missed and sometimes Josh Smith isnt enough to protect the middle. And opposing teams are able to have spurts or extended runs against us and thus the Hawks lose control of the game..

Zaza is a defensive liability and the offense doesn't go through him. So Soloman must play 15 to 20 minutes alongside either Smoove or Hortford.

If Solo can alter shots or block to 2 or 3 a game and give us some rebounding, that is a plus.

I have given up on Shelden Williams, he offers nothing for this team. However, Soloman has athletic intangibles defensively in which the Hawks can benefit..

Atlanta will need a better defensive effort this week. People may classify Soloman as weak, but some said that about Richard Hamilton or Tashayn Prince at one time when they first entered the NBA. However, Soloman is 6'11 (230 lbs.) with a long wingspan, athletic and can contribute to this team.

Leaving him on the bench isn't going to help the Hawks cause defensively. This team will need more than Josh blocking shots and Hortford rebounding. This team hasn't been getting that type of defensive effort from ZaZa or Shelden and Lo is on the bench/injured... So the only one left is Soloman..

Soloman can help take fouls, block shots, rebound and help minimize unnecessary runs by the opposing team..even if it is for 15 to 20 minutes a game..

Playing Soloman especially in critical second and third quarters to help Josh Smith and Hortford avoid unnecessary fouls would be ideal and could be his specific role...

Quote:

Hortford rebounding.

He is playing great and has been on the team for almost 6 months now. It is HORFORD, there is no T in his name. And also it is SOLOMON Jones, he has been on the team for over a year now.

Someone who continually misspell names on our team are very aggravating, if you are a fan of a team it shouldn't be that hard to learn how to spell their name. You do look at a box score every now and then don't you?

Despite the egregious spelling errors, I agree jsmith. Solomon Jones needs to play--if anything to spell Josh Smith and Horford at times. We need his defense...period. You pegged it right: He has tremendous athleticism and a very long wingspan (I remember several games last year where he had 6 blocked shots in one game--in limited playing time!) that would provide very useful in the paint. People say he is a foul machine...maybe. But, we are not talking about playing him 20-25 MPG. We are talking more like around 10, 15 at the most. He can rebound and block shots, no denying that. He may not be the strongest guy out there, but he gives you the rebounding and shot-blocking that we need when we need to give J Smith or Horford a break.

the only thing i worry about him is being out of position or not making basketball plays. i worry less about his skinny frame or fouling. but being out of position can cause some issues.

with that said, the only way to rectify those issues is by playing time. i wouldnt play him too much against orlando if the game is on the line but definitely needs to get in there and put an extra body on howard.

• Premium Member

I agree that Solomon should play over Zaza, he at least adds shotblocking even if he isn't much better defensively. But against DWIGHT?? Solomon has absolutely zero chance against Dwight, he's just nowhere near as big or strong. Dwight has at least 50 lbs on him and is MUCH stronger in addition. Maybe give Solo some minutes at PF to help weakside block Dwight, or center when Dwight is resting, but no way in hell can Solo do anything with Dwight.

Quote:

I agree that Solomon should play over Zaza, he at least adds shotblocking even if he isn't much better defensively. But against DWIGHT?? Solomon has absolutely zero chance against Dwight, he's just nowhere near as big or strong. Dwight has at least 50 lbs on him and is MUCH stronger in addition. Maybe give Solo some minutes at PF to help weakside block Dwight, or center when Dwight is resting, but no way in hell can Solo do anything with Dwight.

One on one, Solo doesn't stand a chance vs. Dwight. However, Solo provides a better defensive presence than Zaza or Shelden..

Dwight is 265, Solo is approximately 230.. Solo has a fighter's chance plus if Rashard Lewis, a finesse player drives the basket, there is a chance Solo can block his shot..

Solo's physical skills is a better fit for the Hawks' team defense than Zaza or Shelden..bottom line..and it's only for 15 to 18 minutes a game.. to help complement Josh Smith or Al when one of them is out of the game..

With Solo, we will likely see more effort and sometimes in close, contested games, it could make a difference..

• Premium Member

Well, I would at least give Zaza a chance first, only because Zaza has actually guarded Dwight well in seasons past. Obviously if he starts getting lit up, then we can try Solo on him as Horford's backup. Regardless we will definitely have our hands full with him tonight.

I just hope their 3pt shooters aren't hitting shots, because they have shooters, and we will probably have to double Dwight leaving someone open. So hopefully they don't shoot well tonight.

The thought of Solomon getting PT against Dwight makes me cringe. Although the comedic value would be very high. Solomon does not get PT because he is not an NBA-caliber player. He is not young raw talent, he is a 23 year old guy who will never have sufficient strength.

You get a guy minutes when you're not sure what he can bring. We know what Solo can bring. Blocks, dunks, fouls and the occasional wide-open jumper, along with virtually no defensive resistance other than blocks.

Quote:

The thought of Solomon getting PT against Dwight makes me cringe. Although the comedic value would be very high. Solomon does not get PT because he is not an NBA-caliber player. He is not young raw talent, he is a 23 year old guy who will never have sufficient strength.

You get a guy minutes when you're not sure what he can bring. We know what Solo can bring. Blocks, dunks, fouls and the occasional wide-open jumper, along with virtually no defensive resistance other than blocks.

Then why is Solo on the roster-- if he is so bad?

Zaza can't play defense. Shelden is a ghost out there.

Chillz doesn't have sufficient strength and otften gets stripped going to the basket, Salim doesn't have sufficient height.. ZaZa doesn't have sufficient quickness and lacks defensive ability. Shelden rarely blocks shots , rarely dunks and has little offensive game.

We have seen what these others can do, but let's see what Solo can do on consecutive nights getting 15 to 18 minutes before we start judging him?

He's on the roster because you want to dress 12 guys every night if possible. Travis Hansen was on the roster too. They're on the same level. It's only a matter of time until he's playing in another league, whether it be NBDL or Europe or wherever.

You give guys a chance in summer league and in practice. If they don't show you enough there, they don't get any minutes in the real games. Not everyone on the roster automatically gets 10 minutes per game, much less 15-18.

Shelden is getting 12 mpg, and Solo is nowhere near being on Shelden's level, as bad as he's been.

There is a reason Travis Hansen plays in Russia, Esteban Batista plays in Israel, and Matt Frieje is jobless. Very few guys who aren't drafted in the first round have the talent to stick around in the NBA. Solo will not be one of the select few in the long run.

Quote:

We have seen what these others can do, but let's see what Solo can do on consecutive nights getting 15 to 18 minutes before we start judging him?

Why do they have to care about what you see? They have seen him in practice and they think he is down in the food chain. If they would care about your opinion so much, they'd hire you.

Quote:

Quote:

Why do they have to care about what you see? They have seen him in practice and they think he is down in the food chain. If they would care about your opinion so much, they'd hire you.

It's not about caring about what others think, it's about winning games and this franchise hasn't been to the playoffs in eight years and the Hawks currently have a coach who has won less than 30 percent of their games in four years.

Nobody has said start Solo, but he should receive playing time (in my opinion). And its not the first time this coaching staff has made a mistake in evaluation and development.

if ZaZa were healthy, honestly i'd throw Horford and the Four-Headed Monster at Howard. I'd divide the backup equally between the 4 backups (Lo,Solo, Shell, and Z) just because although they arent the best, they are different kinds of players. What I mean is that keep Dwight Howard guessing or getting adjusted to players.

Of course he'll get adjusted to Horford and Horford will just have to man up but if your gonna put lesser backups in, might as well throw them all in the ring. I wouldnt do it to rack up fouls (because we dont need to get over the limit too early) but more because each has their own way to play and I feel that would make it more difficult on Howard.