• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Interesting situation emerging with Eddy Curry

TheNorthCydeRises

article 1

article 2

article 3

He's super soft. He can't defend nor rebound. But the one thing that he was known for, post scoring, is going away from him as well, with Zack in the mix. He was scoring fine for the first 15 or so games of the season ( around 20 ppg ). Then he just completely fell off the wagon.

Mark Aguirre believes that Eddy deferring to Zack, is Eddy's problem. If that's the case, that means that Eddy can still score on the block, if he doesn't have to clear room for another low post scorer. We're talking about a guy who averaged almost 20 ppg and shot almost 58% FG last year.

Do we even consider going after a guy like that, seeing that after this year, he'll still have 3 years and 30 million left to be paid to him? ( He has 2 player options in that deal ). Also, a deal like that will all but kill bringing Chill back, unless we want to go a little over the cap and keep everybody. Smoove can still be done, with Curry in the mix . . if Smoove doesn't get the max.

If we desperately need a low post scorer, Curry is a guy who can provide that, if that's all we ask him to do.

You tell Zeke that JJ, Smoove, Horford, Law, and Marvin are off limits. Everybody else, you can take a look at.

Deals that get Curry here.

- ZaZa + Shelden

- Chill + Lue + Solomon

- Chill + Shelden + Salim

- Chill + ZaZa

- Speedy + Shelden

Probably the Chill + Shelden + Salim scenario would be the most attractive to NY. I think Chill could immeadiately start on the Knicks.

Potential lineups:

Law/AJ, JJ, Marvin, Smoove, Curry

Law/AJ, JJ, Smoove, Horford, Curry

If Zeke is seriously thinking about moving the guy, they're going to get some interesting offers for him. He's definitely not the perfect center, and definintely not the defensive presence we need in the middle. But he can score on the block. And if they are actively looking to deal him, SOMEONE will get that guy.

Keep an eye on NYC, if they continue to suck, and Curry continues to be uncomfortable with Zack getting most of the touches on the block. The Knicks are a complete mess. Zeke should've already been fired.

Quote:

If we get him, one of our young stars have to go, he isn't worth it imo.

Let's break it down then. Curry is due 9.7 mill next year. And let's say that the Knicks want Chill + Shelden + Salim

Hawks contracts for 08 - 09 ( I'm not a capologist, so I'm just going off of what I see on hoopshype.com )

JJ - 14.2 mill

Curry - 9.7

Speedy - 5.7

Marvin - 5.6

ZaZa - 4.0

Horford - 4.0

Acie - 2.0

Solo - .8

That's 8 players under contract, at 46 million. That leaves roughly 13 million for Smoove's extension. If he gets closer to the 10 mill per year deal, we can start him out around 8 - 8.5 million in 2008, and incrementally work up from there.

So that's 9 players at roughly 57 million. fill the rest of the roster with low-priced vets and the 2nd round pick.

When Marvin's deal comes up in 2009, the team will have to decide if they want to go over the cap a little for about a year, before deciding what to do with JJ later in the season or going into the 2010 season. If we haven't turned the corner by 2009, JJ is almost sure to be dealt for need players, or expiring contracts. I don't think that 2 more years of non-playoff basketball would see JJ around for the 09 - 10 season. In that situation, the "keys to the car" will probably be handed to Law, Horford, and Marvin or Smith.

I know people are scared to make a move whenever someone throws up a guy with many flaws. But a Curry, the good Curry that can score, could do wonders for this team as far as offensive balance goes.

I don't know if I would make the move either, but I wouldn't totally dismiss it right off the bat. IMO, Curry is definitely an upgrade over ZaZa, but overall, not as good as Horford. I definitely see why people wouldn't want to pull the trigger on a deal like that.

But then again, you have to take risks sometimes. And out of all the young players that might become stars, it's safe to say that Chill and Shelden are the most unlikely to do so. I think Chill, as a starter, could be a 15 - 17 ppg guy though on a team like the Knicks.

You know, this is probably like when the Lakers traded Caron Butler to bring in Kwame Brown. Now Caron is a much better player than Chill, and Curry a much better player than Kwame. But the situation is somewhat similar. The Lakers were trying to address their void in the middle, and were willing to give up a good young piece to get him. Caron panned out for the Wiz, but Kwame didn't for the Lakers.

In this situation, we'd be getting a very skilled post scorer, while giving up a pretty good swingman. Curry is far from the project big man that Kwame was.

To me, Curry is on the level of an Andre Miller, as far as impact. Neither will be "the man" or one of the star players here. But both could fill a much needed void in the lineup and provide some of the skills that we're lacking.

Just keep an eye on the Knicks.

I respect you opinions Northcyde cause you always do your reserch but we cannot have a doughnut hole at the center spot taking up space on d and payroll. Thats too much for money for him. The only way I would consider it is if the deal started with Speedy and ended with ZazA. For post scoring I would honestly rather have Al Harrington back then take on Curry. At least Al gives effort.

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd actually go after Randolph, because he gives you about the same offensive production and rebounds better and seems like more of a compeitor and doesn't have that heart condition. Neither guy is all that great, but at the same time it would be nice to have a reliable, high-percentage post-scorer. Overall, though, both guys seem to have character and contract issues that make them unnattractive.

Curry makes way too much for his numbers. Sure he can score and score at a high clip but that's all he can do. Last year he had his career high in rebounds and that was only 7! For a guy who is 6'11 285 that is weak. He also has only averaged 1 bpg only one season and that was like his 3rd now he's in his 7th. So a big NO to this guy.

Quote:

I made this exact thread a week ago and it was ignored. This board does not believe in making a move. If this was the celtics board, they wouldn't have traded for the big 3 because of the "potential" of their youth. But I guess they'd rather trade Josh Smith for the right to pay Gasol 13 million

JB, you're right. I saw your thread. The problem with this board, is that most believe we're just a role player away from being real good. People don't want to trade Chill for a big man like Curry, but they'd trade Smoove for Biendrins?

Most on the board don't want to give up a young player, in fear that the player we give up, will all of a sudden blow up in another system. But most non-playoff tems get better by making multiple trades, or one big trade.

I have no problem keeping Chill here. He's underrated by most Hawk fans anyway. But I'm also not against moving one of our youngsters for greater or equal talent. I wouldn't even start Curry if he came here. He'd assume Chill's 6th man role, with that 6th man being a good scoring low post opton at center. It'll also enable a guy like Horford to see more time at PF, a position that most on the board thinks he can be very good at.

A contract decision will have to be made on Chill this summer, and on Shelden the next. Keeping both will be the equivalent of Curry's deal anyway. So a Chill + Shelden + Salim swap for Curry, wouldn't be a downgrade IMO. It might make guys like Horford, Smith, and Law more efficient players. And JJ would definitely benefit, because he'd see less doule teams with Curry in the post.

It's funny though. People didn't want to bring in Iverson, or Artest, or Francis ( before he went to NY ), or Randolph, and is split on Gasol . . . but they're all for bringing in Nene, Ridnour, Calderon, Biendrins or Haywood. It's a "low-cost potential" over "high-priced actual skill" mindset.

It's real interesting to see a fan base that criticizes its owners for being cheap, but they themselves not willing for the team to bring in a high-priced vet in exchange for one of the kids.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's funny though. People didn't want to bring in Iverson, or Artest, or Francis ( before he went to NY ), or Randolph, and is split on Gasol . . . but they're all for bringing in Nene, Ridnour, Calderon, Biendrins or Haywood. It's a "low-cost potential" over "high-priced actual skill" mindset.

It's real interesting to see a fan base that criticizes its owners for being cheap, but they themselves not willing for the team to bring in a high-priced vet in exchange for one of the kids.

Please. Bringing in Curry to come off the bench is an AWFUL move for a franchise with limited resources. Don't go trying to justify this awful trade by insulting the people on this board.

Finally someone who sees what I have been preaching about for years now. If anyone on this team is tradable it is Chills. He is a luxury on great teams but a trade piece on mediocre ones. We have an advantage because we have a number of short term contracts we can move. Chills is up after this year, Zaza is up after next year. We can move Shelden without any backlash from the fanbase whatsoever, and the knick could sell him to NY as a young big with a comparitively small contract.

While Curry is an ill fitting piece in NYC, he'd be a key peace in Atl. In my lineup he'd start. He may be a black hole, but he is by far better in the post than any of our current players. He'd give us a legitimate 5. We could use him in multiple lineup sets. My fav would be a "Big" linuep of

JJ, Law, Smoove, Horford, Curry

I think that Curry would be a better defender and rebounder under Woody's system. He won't be an allstar, but I'd feel much better about him defending the Shaq's and Howards of the world, than either Horford or Zaza.

IMO he gives us the maximum amount of talent for giving up the least amount of talent.

I challenge anyone on H.S. to name another player with Curry's talent who would be available for a Childress/Shelden type trade.