• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Woody Haters Will Love This!

Traceman

Check out the references to Woody in Eddie Johnson's blog:

http://hoopshype.com/blogs/johnson/index.p...les-got-canned/

Check out these gems:

Quote:

Mike Woodson (Atlanta). Has done a brilliant job of molding this young team around superstar-in-the-waiting Joe Johnson.
Woodson also might be one of the best coaches in the league at drawing up plays in crunch time, which is huge for a young team.

Quote:

Nate McMillan (Portland). Along with Woodson, he is the front runner for Coach of the Year.
I felt Portland would surprise this year without Greg Oden, but not to the tune of 10-game winning streaks. Nate has convinced this team to play extremely hard and allowed Brandon Roy, a second-year player, to lead them. The rest of the league better get use to this team dominating like this in the future once Oden is in uniform.

I still think Woody is FAR from being a perfect coach but there is no question that his in-game decision making is improving and that has always been my biggest gripe with him. I think he has always done a good job of developing our young players. I think it is cool to see him get some recognition for doing a good job and hope that he continues to push the right buttons for this team.

Amazing what experience has done for our young Atlanta Hawks!!

Just as amazing is what experience is doing to the head

coach of these same Hawks.

This Hawks team has had a lot of growing up to do and so

has Mike Woodson.

Both the team and their coach still have room to grow.

The team now listens better to Woody. What Woody has to

say to the players probably makes more sense now than

it did in the beginning. Experience has it's rewards.

Remember this. "People can look you right in the eyes

and not hear a word that you're saying." I know this is

true - I learned this from my kids.

---------------------------------------------------------

tongue.gif

Quote:

Nate has convinced this team to play extremely hard and allowed Brandon Roy, a second-year player, to lead them. The rest of the league better get use to this team dominating like this in the future once Oden is in uniform.

Man, if only 1 or 2 of the BK attrocities had been Roy, Paul/Deron, or Deng.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Nate has convinced this team to play extremely hard and allowed Brandon Roy, a second-year player, to lead them. The rest of the league better get use to this team dominating like this in the future once Oden is in uniform.

Man, if only 1 or 2 of the BK attrocities had been Roy, Paul/Deron, or Deng.

W

I am starting to question whether Deron Williams is as special as people make him out to be! His team is losing and he is one of the worse defensive point guards in the league. H_ll even AJ kick his azz head to head. I also wonder about Deng's versatility and defense.

I sure do rip on Woodson when things aren't going well so Im going to give him a little credit.

I like how Josh Smith is playing within himself lately.

Woody has aided this by benching Smoove when he starts to play crazy.

But still, Mike Woodson doesn't have this team with that killer instinct.

WE open a double digit lead on teams, and we basically let them back in the game with questionable substitutions and the fact that Woodson doesn't know how to call a timeout early to stop the bleeding.

But he's still improved.

I think he has a lot more control over this team than Mike Brown of the Cavs who I often compared Woody too

My stance on Mike Woodson has always been that it is unfair to evaluate him based on what his teams in the past have been. He came into a very bare situation when he took this job, and I still don't believe it would have mattered who the Hawks hired at that point. No one was going to do well with what Mike inherited.

What I have seen though is Mike Woodson grow as a head coach just as his team has grown as players. He has done an excellent job of developing the young players on this team, and now we are seeing that he has done a very good job of developing this team as a whole around Joe Johnson.

I think that killer instinct will be the last thing that develops with this team.

Quote:

But still, Mike Woodson doesn't have this team with that killer instinct.

WE open a double digit lead on teams, and we basically let them back in the game with questionable substitutions and the fact that Woodson doesn't know how to call a timeout early to stop the bleeding.

But he's still improved.

That's a characteristic that you can say that just about every NBA team has. Hence the phrase "everybody makes a run in the NBA".

Last game, we go up 25 - 13 or something like that, with a little over 2 minutes to go in the 1st quarter. Woody says, "OK, I can take JJ out, maybe give him a nice rest, and bring him back in after the first madatory timeout in the 2nd quarter."

LOL . . yeah right. Even with Marvin and Chill on the floor, the Wiz close the quarter on a 10 - 0 run, to cut the lead to 2 by the time the 2nd quarter starts.

So is that "questionable" substituton by Woody? If our bench and starters can't even hold a 12 point lead for 3 minutes, what can Woody do? The only thing he can do . . . play JJ as many minutes as possible. LOL . . then people will complain that JJ is logging too many minutes and that Woody is wearing him out.

Quote:

I think he has a lot more control over this team than Mike Brown of the Cavs who I often compared Woody too

If the Cavs don't make a trade, I think they're on the verge of a complete meltdown. They want to trade Larry Hughes. LOL . . I bet they do. Good luck with that one. Today might br the only time this year that I root for the Heat.

Quote:

That's a characteristic that you can say that just about every NBA team has. Hence the phrase "everybody makes a run in the NBA".

Last game, we go up 25 - 13 or something like that, with a little over 2 minutes to go in the 1st quarter. Woody says, "OK, I can take JJ out, maybe give him a nice rest, and bring him back in after the first madatory timeout in the 2nd quarter."

LOL . . yeah right. Even with Marvin and Chill on the floor, the Wiz close the quarter on a 10 - 0 run, to cut the lead to 2 by the time the 2nd quarter starts.

So is that "questionable" substituton by Woody? If our bench and starters can't even hold a 12 point lead for 3 minutes, what can Woody do? The only thing he can do . . . play JJ as many minutes as possible. LOL . . then people will complain that JJ is logging too many minutes and that Woody is wearing him out.

You're right we do have to get more from our bench.

But I thought at one point in the game he subbed Horford out for no reason.

But I guess the young fella needs some rest as well.

They made a run because although he gave Marvin, JJ and Horford some rest, he didn't put them back in until the other team made their run; the normal sub in pattern that most other coaches use is that they usually put them back in around 2 minutes into the 2nd/4th quarter. He waited until like 4.5-5 minutes into the 2nd/4th quarter to put them back in... he especially left Zaza out there longer than he should've been.

Coaches often get more blame then they deserve when things go bad and more credit the they deserve when things go well.

With all the unfair blame Woody has taken the last 3 years he actually deserves any and all credit the national mediua is willing to give him.

His first 2 years we were playing teenagers and journey men. Last year the team was too young and inexpierenced to over come all the injuries.

Props to Woody !

Props to the players !

The ATL now has a basketbal team worth cheering for !

• Moderators

Quote:

Yeah.

Those so called atrocities are playing pretty damn well and are winning right now.

In fairness, Shelden isn't playing much at all and Childress has been injured through a good portion of our hot streak.