• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Billy Knight wants gasol!!!

oiatlhawksfan

Quote:

If the Bulls want Pau Gasol, they'd better move quickly as the Grizzlies figure to move him soon with the season and home attendance collapsing. Atlanta is said to be the latest team interested in Gasol. When Hawks general manager Billy Knight was with the Grizzlies, he acquired the rights to Gasol from Atlanta for Shareef Abdur-Rahim. The Hawks have an excess of young big men. ...

Quote:

Quote:

Short-term, Wallace said the Griz have no plans to move Gasol, who is often mentioned in trade rumors. Memphis has received calls and standing trade offers for Gasol from at least two teams -- Charlotte and Atlanta -- according to insiders.

Is this from the same source? What I find interesting is that Charlotte is in the running as well. Any guesses on who they are offering?

J Rich?

Morrison (why would Memphis take him?)

BK won't offer both Smith and Horford. Horf is probably as untouchable as it gets with the Hawks. That kid has everything you want in a PF.

A year ago I would have said Smith was untouchable, but with all the drama surrounding Smith and his lack of fundementals, I would not be surprised to see BK move him.

• Premium Member

Either way.

I think that there very well could be a move to get Gasol here...

JJ supposedly called for Gasol this summer. BK supposedly wants Gasol (and that's not too far fetched).

I would love to have Gasol, now the question becomes cost?

If we don't think we can get a reasonable contract with Smoove, I can see Smoove being a part of the deal. It gives Memphis a guy who can PF next to Gay... and if they plan to move Miller, they may even look at another big in return?

To me, it would be easier to give up Marv. He makes More than Smoove so that's less we'd have to give. Plus I like Smoove's impact on the game more.

There's also a possibility that we can be talking Horf. That I would say HELL NO to. Yep, Horf to me is more valuble than Smoove or Marv. Reason being is that Horf is a throw back. And even if his offense never fully develops, his game is already grown enough for us to work with. He's a banger!!

My guess is that it will be a package like Smoove, Lo, Lue, and Zaza for Gasol...I would love to get my hands on Navarro too, but I doubt that would do that. Maybe Damon?

However, if we give up Smoove, my rule is that they must take Speedy.

Speedy, Smoove, Zaza for Gasol.

That last trade of moving Speedy with Smith makes the most sense D. The hold up might be on if Craig decides to retire or not. If he does its like when the Hawks traded for T. Branndon a few years ago. This would help Memphis considerably in gaining cap space.

I agree that Pau really gives the Hawks some firepower. The real question is how motivated will Pau be to play defense on a winning team. My guess is that Pau will be like the first two years of Laettner's career in Atlanta. Motivated and lights out.

• Premium Member

I would not give up Smith or Horford in a package for Pau, but if we did, they MUST take Speedy. Somehow I doubt that BK would enforce that, though.

If we trade Smith for Gasol, just imagine how much worse our defense will get INSTANTLY. Anyone notice how opposing teams just happen to start scoring inside when Smith sits down?

EDIT: Not to mention that Gasol is having the worst season he's had in like 5 years, and he now has injury concerns.

• Premium Member

I think Gasol play is related to coaching. Ivaroni is not really utilizing Gasol in his strength.

Moreover, I agree with you that we should at all cost try to keep Smoove and Horf but I think it depends on BK's feel for negotiations with Smoove.

To me... 5 years 50 million dollars is reasonable for Smoove. However, Smoove turned it down Supposedly.

How much does he want?

Moreover, is he willing to play in control?

These are issues for BK to sort. If he moves Smoove, I would rather he move Speedy with him, but if he decides not to, i can only guess that Speedy HAS decided to retire and the capspace would give BK a chance to go after a specific player.

• Premium Member

Quote:

And if it's about resigning Smith, Smith will at most get what Gasol is currently getting. Smith's numbers (at age 22) are already BETTER than Gasol's!! Why make that trade?

Gasol is a true low post offensive player. It's a chemistry move. If we traded Smoove for Gasol however, I think it would have more to do with relations with Smoove than merely what Gasol brings.

• Premium Member

I agree about Speedy being involved, but it still doesn't make sense IMO.

Gasol is such a downgrade defensively. He's also not rebounding this year. I don't think that has anything to do with the way he's being used. Smith is also a better passer, and is FIVE years younger! Gasol's blocks are also down this year. Gasol just isn't having a good year. Here they are head to head.

untitled.jpg

Just not worth it IMO. I'd rather have Smith on Gasol's contract than Gasol on Gasol's contract. Maybe if Gasol was playing better I'd consider it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Gasol is a true low post offensive player. It's a chemistry move.

We'd be gaining offense and losing defense. I don't know how much better we'd get. Smith is better than Gasol this season in EVERY major category, except that his FG% is lower. That's the only difference.

Quote:

If we traded Smoove for Gasol however, I think it would have more to do with relations with Smoove than merely what Gasol brings.

It would have to be, BK would have to be an idiot (which we already knew) to just do this trade without some kind of motivation that we don't know about.

I agree with the notion that Smith has more up-side as a player, but Gasol does the things that Smith doesn't do: play a team concept on offense, makes smart decisions, and scores in the low-block with his back to the basket.

FWI, Gasol maybe suffering from a case of Cater-itis. He's sick of playing for a lousy franchise in Memphis that doesn't play the sort of ball Gasol is meant for. Coming to Atlanta with JJ, AJ, Marvin and Horford would be a perfect fit for Gasol.

I agree that the defense would suffer some if Gasol is traded for Smith; however, the offense gets so much better. One of the Hawks biggest problems is scoring when JJ goes out. Teams get on runs when JJ sits down because the bench just doesn't score. Pau could help with that esp in that 1st to 2nd quarter rest period as he can go out early in the first and come back when JJ gets his blow.

Pau can rebound and block shots. He's shown it in the past, but you are right (Atlas) that he's not been doing those things much this year. A change of teams might be the cure.

Chillz/Shelden/ZaZa/Lue works under the CBA but something tells me Chicago would put together a better deal. That would be a dream though for the Hawks.....

We'd get our post presence without giving up a potential franchise type player (since some feel Smoove and/or Marvin are that).

I'd assume our starting 5 would be: AJ/JJ/Marvin/Smoove/Gasol

That would give you Horford and Law off the bench.

You will be a fool to think that Marvin/Horf is going anywhere. You can quote me on that one!!! I would hate to see smooth go but a front court of MArv+Horf+Gasol is way better than Smoove+Horf+Gasol just because MArv is the better perimeter player/shooter. MARV is damn near money out there and is more consistent than Smoove. I think that this trade maybe the result of Marvin's emergence and Horf being better than BK may have expected.. I sure would hate to see Smoove traded but there is no way you keep him over MArvin if you are going to add another low post player because you need a mid range/perimeter shooter for the player to kick it out to who can knock down the shot consistently. If they are trying to clear cap space then Smoove makes sense.

Our offense is instantly better - Imagine that annoying give and go Horford does with Joe at the top of the key. Horford can't do anything with the ball out there anyway - but Gasol can. If we get Gasol though - Smith is gone either way because we aren't going to have three max guys. Might as well put him in the west than let him sign with Philly and get nothing.

This would drop Horford down to the 4. He is playing great 5 now but at the 4 he would just DOMINATE the glass. Gasol would make us a better all around team - I'd hate to lose Smith but he would be worth it to get Gasol here.

The Atlanta Spirit Group can't pull the trigger anyway but a girl can dream can't she.