• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

That "dead-eye" perimeter shooter the Hawks need.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

1. What position does he need to play to fit into the rotation?

2. Who would you trade to acquire him?

3. Who do you suggest as a feasible option?

I'm of the opinion that the Hawks should trade Childress or pair him with Salim to acquire that shooter (SG/SF). The 2nd option (Salim+Childress) would have the added benefit of freeing up a roster spot to sign a PG to a 10-day contract.

It should be noted that trading Childress (who has a cap hold of some $11M) gives the Hawks more than the MLE to add a FA next season if they so choose. They would be one of only two teams that would have that much $ to spend on FA's. (Desagana Diop, Jose Calderon, and Chris Duhon would all be legit options).

As someone who has always been in love with the college game, it is depressingly ironic that we would have to trade Salim to get a shooter.

1. What position does he need to play to fit into the rotation?

Optimally, he would be a pg. That would take care of a couple of problems. Much more realistically, he would be a backup sf/sg, and we would send out JChill plus Zaza and expirings to get him. Mike Miller would be optimal (but hardly realistic).

2. Who would you trade to acquire him?

If we want quality, Jchill plus Zaza/Shelly plus expiring contract.

3. Who do you suggest as a feasible option?

Optimal options are Calderon and Mike Miller. A feasible option WAS Giriceck (there's a waiting period to trade him again, no?). Another is Kapono (who isnt thriving up in Toronto). I'd only give up Chill for real quality tho.

Quote:

It should be noted that trading Childress (who has a cap hold of some $11M) gives the Hawks more than the MLE to add a FA next season if they so choose.

Also if Speedy retires (it is hard to type with my fingers crossed) that will free up more money, right?

To me a shooter is secondary. I center like Diop should be the first priority.

But i still like the idea of bringing in Gerald Green. He could back up the 2/3 spots, is very athletic and shouldn't be a defensive liability.

I dont think it will be that hard to land a shooter at some point.

• Premium Member

Under normal circumstances, trading Childress alone gives you the following options for wings who have averaged at least 35% on 3's over the previous two seasons:

Kyle Korver

Anthony Parker

Mickael Pietrus*

Rasual Butler*

James Posey

Michael Finley*

Matt Barnes*

James Jones*

Damien Wilkins*

And for guards:

Steve Blake*

Damon Jones

Chris Duhon

Charlie Bell

*Indicates WC team

• Premium Member

Honestly...

Position has to be PG...

Here's some choices and who I would trade to make it happen.

1. Damon Stoudamire = Tyron Lue.

First and most simply. Lue for Stoudamire. Memphis does it to get out of his contract. It gives them more FA money in a FA time. They may try to tack another stiff into the deal Like Cardinal. That's a no.

2. Luke Ridnour = Speedy Claxton/2nd round pick.

Seattle gets to Medically insure Speedy the way we did TB a few years ago. They also get a 2nd round pick to continue their youth movement.

3. Juan Carlos Navarro = I don't think Memphis would trade him.

I wish Memphis would deal this guy.

4. Jose Calderon = I don't think Toronto would trade him.

Ditto.

5. Ben Gordon = Smoove, AJ.

I think that Chicago is at the point where they will start the fire sale. Big pieces normally go first. Nobody will take Wallace or Thomas. They want to keep Hinrich. What's a first sale with no big pieces. Well, Gordon has been the man, but they have to resign Gordon and Deng and Nocioni. I saw a little bit of a game the other day and Nocioni is the truth. Moreover, Gordon is somewhat an OG.... even at his high level of play. Something that they can't really account for.

We give them Smoove... They can have Smoove, playing alongside Deng and Wallace and pick up some guy in the draft either Beasley or DeAndre... and get right back to winning again.

6. Jason "the Jet" Terry.

Many know that I hated JT. However, the guy can shoot. He can't really run an offense, but sense we're talking OGs.. JT is a good one. I think Dallas may part with him Now that Harris is on his way. Who do I give up for JT?

Hmm...

Good question. I know they'd push for JJ..... Maybe Zaza and JChillz...

Pietrus is a very interesting prospect in that the kid is a solid defender. GS has been unimpressed with his offensive progression, and he is burried behind Ellis and the other shooters on that team from what I udnerstand.

I would think that Z or Sheldon would get the Hawks Pietrus, maybe less than that.

D, in regard to mighty mouse, we don't need another undersized guard. The problem the team has right now is that Lue and Salim are the same player in most regards. One of them needs to be replaced with a guy that can defend larger players. For me Calderon is the perfect answer, but the Raptors aren't trading him at this point in time.

Another guy that is possibly out there is Brent Berry. He's older but has played on a winning team. The guy can play both guard spots. His defense is not very good however.

• Premium Member

Quote:

As someone who has always been in love with the college game, it is depressingly ironic that we would have to trade Salim to get a shooter.

Well, you can't afford to have Salim on the court at either guard spot for extended minutes. And since it's his minutes you are theoretically giving to said shooter, you might as well move him.

Trading Childress + Salim gives you the ability to go after a big like Diop or Brown next season, gets you a shooter you can use now, frees up minutes for Mario West, AND would give you a roster spot to add another PG in case of (likely) injuries to Lue, AJ, or Law.

Personally, I don't think adding a non-impact PG (i.e., anyone other than Miller or Bibby) makes a whole lot of sense in the short-term or the long-term. Taking major minutes away from the player whose steadiness has lead you to a winning record (AJ) and the rookie you really need to evaluate (Law) for a 3 pt. shooter when you already have one of the roster (Lue) seems like a lateral move.

Moving Childress+Salim gives the following options:

For guards -

Steve Blake

Damon Jones

Damon Stoudamire

For wings -

Anthony Parker

Kyle Korver

Morris Peterson

Jason Kapono

Personally, I think Josh Childress -for- Anthony Parker makes the most sense.

Quote:

Under normal circumstances, trading Childress alone gives you the following options for wings who have averaged at least 35% on 3's over the previous two seasons:

Kyle Korver

Anthony Parker

Mickael Pietrus*

Rasual Butler*

James Posey

Michael Finley*

Matt Barnes*

James Jones*

Damien Wilkins*

And for guards:

Steve Blake*

Damon Jones

Chris Duhon

Charlie Bell

*Indicates WC team

Good Lord. There's no way I'd trade Chill for any of those guys, just to add a guy that may hit one or two 3's a game. Give me the versatlity of Chill, over any of those guys.

ugh @ that list !!!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Good Lord. There's no way I'd trade Chill for any of those guys, just to add a guy that may hit one or two 3's a game. Give me the versatlity of Chill, over any of those guys.

ugh @ that list !!!

Methinks you underestimate the versatility and athleticism of several of the players on that list, in addition to the usual overrating of Childress' offensive contributions. Outside of offensive rebounds and putbacks, Childress does nothing on offense that can't be easily replaced.

You absolutely MUST add a 3 pt. threat to the rotation, or JJ will continue to be double-teamed for the foreseeable future. With JJ and Marvin manning the wing positions for the next three years at a minimum, there's no real spot on this team for a wing who can't shoot from the perimeter.

• Premium Member

Quote:

D, in regard to mighty mouse, we don't need another undersized guard. The problem the team has right now is that Lue and Salim are the same player in most regards. One of them needs to be replaced with a guy that can defend larger players. For me Calderon is the perfect answer, but the Raptors aren't trading him at this point in time.

Another guy that is possibly out there is Brent Berry. He's older but has played on a winning team. The guy can play both guard spots. His defense is not very good however.

The difference between those two and Mighty Mouse is that MM is actually able to run an offense. Salim who has a 1:1 A/TO ratio is a very bad choice to be a PG. Lue who does not make good ball handling decisions is not a good choice either. DS is a good cheap alternative in my eyes. He doesn't have to monopolize the more than 22 mpg and that allows Acie to get some burn. The other thing is that DS is better than AJ in that DS is actually uptempo.

As far as defense. Do you really think AJ is that good of a defender??

• Premium Member

The problem with the list is that we already have a log jam at Foward/SG.

Moreover, of the guards you mentioned the only one that is worthy is Blake... and I don't know if he's available and I'm not willing to part with Chillz for him.

It's a mistake to underestimate Chillz contribution to this team.

Quote:

Methinks you underestimate the versatility and athleticism of several of the players on that list, in addition to the usual overrating of Childress' offensive contributions. Outside of offensive rebounds and putbacks, Childress does nothing on offense that can't be easily replaced.

Can't easily be replaced? Wow. Chill is so underrated by the majority of this fan base. The fact that he gets offensive rebounds, on a team that routinely struggles in games to secure them, is almost reason enough alone to keep Chill. Offensive rebounds means extra possessions. And Chill is a better slasher/penetrator than 75% on that list.

The vast majority of the guys on your list are VERY streaky shooters. Not only that, most are one-dimensional, or at the most, two-dmesional players. That's why most of those guys ride the bench, instead of being a starter.

In football terms, Chill might be what Troy Brown used t be for the Patriots. He didn't do one thing great, he just did a lot of ish good.

I've always maintaned that if our young guys like Smoove, Marvin, or Chill were ever traded, that they be traded for very skilled vets that can make an immeadiate impace, that also may have worn out ther welcome on another team ( Gasol, J. O'Neal, etc )

What you don't do, is trade them for one-dimensonal scrubs, to so-call balance out your team. Caron Butler for Kwame Brown comes to mind.

Put Chill on any of those teams to replace the player we'd get, ans Chill either automtically becomes the starter, or the 6th man.

I bet LeBron would love to have Chill, in place of Damon Jones.

Quote:

You absolutely MUST add a 3 pt. threat to the rotation, or JJ will continue to be double-teamed for the foreseeable future. With JJ and Marvin manning the wing positions for the next three years at a minimum, there's no real spot on this team for a wing who can't shoot from the perimeter.

Or, you could trade Chill for a legt low post threat, that can pass out of double teams to JJ, so that HE can take the 3. What is Chill shooting from 3 this year, by the way? I need to look that up right quick.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Chill is so underrated by the majority of this fan base. The fact that he gets offensive rebounds, on a team that routinely struggles in games to secure them, is almost reason enough alone to keep Chill. Offensive rebounds means extra possessions. And Chill is a better slasher/penetrator than 75% on that list.

So, Childress is multi-dimensional on offense because he can grab offensive rebounds and is a better slasher/penetrator than a list of shooters?

By that definition, ALL of the players on the list are multi-dimensional. In all seriousness, players like Pietrus and Parker are equal defenders and just as useful on offense as Childress. In fact, the ONLY aspect that Childress is clearly superior to Parker in is offensive rebounding. He's a smart player, decent defender, athletic, a good shooter, and a good character. What the Hawks would gain is greater than what they would lose.

Quote:

Or, you could trade Chill for a legt low post threat, that can pass out of double teams to JJ, so that HE can take the 3.

Tell me you're joking. You could package Childress with Horford or Smith and get a post threat, but Childress wouldn't land you a starting SF from most teams, much less a big.

Go look at Hollinger's PER stars. The have Chill under the SG category, so click on that to see how he ranks against the other SGs

Overall, his PER ranks 31st, with a PER over 16. ( there are a lot of SFs in this grouping for some reason. A lot of those hybrid 2/3 guys like JJ and Lebron. )

If you click on FG%, it'll group them by what he shoots from the field.

He's #1 at just under 57%.

Total Shot %?

He's #2, at just under 65%, which is ridiculous for a SG/SF.

Free throws?

He's top 10, and shoots over 90%.

Rebounding?

He's top 10

That's versatlity my friend.

Instead, you want to give all of that up, for a guy that might make 4 threes in one game, and might make a total of 4 threes in the next 3 games after that?

Sorry, I'll definitely pass on that.

I'll never understand the obsession of acquirng some other teams mediocre player, thinking that the new player will help us more than the good player we gave up.

in the East, Childress starts at the 2 or 3 in Philly, New York, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Charlotte, and Miami. He's the 6th man just about everywhere else.

• Moderators

Its annoying that Chill gets 'penalized' for making a lot of putbacks and dunks. This is what you want guys to do: MAKE EASY SHOTS.

Our team is built on the versatility of positions 2-4 or 2-5. Replacing guys like Chill with smaller 2 guards solely for their shooting ability will take away from the foundation of this team (whether you believe in it or not).

Another shooter would be great but it would be better if it was a PG. If we give up Chill then they better be a good defender as well.

There's always Robert Horry or Donyell Marshell. We need bigs and 3 point shooters right?

Chill moves without the ball better than anyone else we've got. He isn't very good at creating opportunities for himself, but he knows how to set himself up for others to create for him- whether it be a put back or a layup off of a pass. Considering we already have JJ and JS who create for themselves, I think Marvin and Chill are good compliments and trading for anyone on previous list is a bad idea.

Quote:

Its annoying that Chill gets 'penalized' for making a lot of putbacks and dunks. This is what you want guys to do: MAKE EASY SHOTS.

I agree. It's definitely annoying. It's like people think that Chill is some scrub or something. Yes, he can't create his own jumper, but he routinely creates his own shot by driving all the way to the hole. At least he doesn't trry to do something he can't. And he can draw fouls. Players like that stay around in this league for a long time. Ask Ruben Patterson.

Chill for Anthony Parker? For Pietrus? No way in hell. Those are the type of players you trade Zaza for, not a 6th man of the year candiate for.