• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Trades that may offset our weaknesses . . .

Some assumptions . . .

1) We need a better point guard.

2) We need more three-point shooting.

3) We need a big man who can play defense and score in the low post.

Trying to solve #1 and 2 at the same time, I looked for point guards, who also happen to be decent three-point shooters. I eliminated guys I assumed were untouchable (Nash, Calderon, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Billups, etc.). I was also looking for point guards who a average more than just three or four assists per 32 minutes (about the amount of minutes they'd play for us with Acie Law getting the other 16 minutes). I found four:

Mo Williams (Milwaukee)

Beno Udrih (Sacramento)

Joran Farmar (Lakers)

Steve Blake (Portland)

Looking for big men (not 6'8" or 6'9" guys!) who can defend and score in the post (some better at one skill than the other skill!), and who might be possible to acquire, I found eight:

Dalembert (Philly)

Okafor (Charlotte)

Blatche (Washington)

Gasol (Memphis)

Brad Miller (Sacremento)

Haywood (Washington)

Jeff Foster (Indy)

Pryzbilla (Portland)

Looking for pure three-point shooters (who could play SG or SF, ideally, but maybe only one or the other) who we might be able to acquire, I found thirteen:

Brent Barry (San Antonio)

John Salmons (Sacremento)

McCants (Minnesota)

Azubuike (Golden State)

J.R. Smith (Denver)

Kareem Rush (Indy)

Mo Peterson (New Orleans)

Kapono (Toronto)

Posey (Boston)

Szczerbiak (Seattle)

Garcia (Sacramento)

Ricky Davis (Miami)

Pietrus (Golden State)

Obviously, some of these guys are less desirable than others (Ricky Davis - ugh!). And some would be harder to acquire than others (Okafor).

I'm just saying that it seems there are plenty of guys out there who could help our areas of need without costing us an arm and a leg. I'm not going to propose any trades. It just seems so reasonable that BK could do SOMETHING to help fill our voids.

I think a shooter to go after is JJ Redick.

He just doesn't seem to be working out in Orlando. He can't play D? Oh well, we could do with his shooting, and he should be cheap/available.

I don't really see any of those bigs as a feasable pickup.

The Golden State Warriors, once again, are in need of a reserve point guard now that they've learned Troy Hudson is possibly out for the season after unavoidable hip surgery.

In Hudson, the Warriors hoped to address one of their notable weaknesses — a backup for starting point guard Baron Davis, who has a history of injury and is playing a lot of minutes already this season.

Among the Warriors possible options are: Carlos Arroyo, Orlando Magic; Earl Boykins, free agent; Smush Parker, Miami Heat; Tyronn Lue, Atlanta Hawks; and Steve Francis, Houston Rockets.

Source: Contra Costa Times

Any takers????

Quote:

Rapters will not give up capono, dalembert i think has a big contract, and gasol plays no defense

Man please. While Gasol is definitely on the soft side at times defensively, he's one of the top offensive big men in the game. Gasol instantly helps this team, if we don't have to give up a Smoove, Horford or Marvin to get him.

For PG, you have to include Jack. He has a VERY reasonable contract, and he's expendable. Blake isn't going to be traded, as far as I'm aware (he LOVES Portland, and took a lesser deal to go back there in the off-season). Williams makes too much for too many years (blocking Law), and Udrih isn't who Sacremento is trying to move, it's Bibby who is probably available. Farmar isn't available either, unless you're willing to take Kwame and others. He doesn't cost anything, so why would they want to trade him for our crap?

For 3 point shooters, I think we should be looking at Rasual Butler, who NO wants to move for a PG. GS also makes sense for Pietrus. I would love McCants, but just not seeing a fit with Minnesota unless we take back salary, which ASG won't do.

For bigs, most of the guys you mention aren't available. Haywood has no real replacement, as Blatche isn't going to start at C right now. And Blatche isn't available under any circumstances. Miller is too expensive. So is Dalembert. Okafur would cost too much, and won't be moved unless he asks for a trade to a team willing to pay a max salary for his next contract (which I don't think Charlotte will do). Gasol is still a possibility. Foster has no offensive game, and makes too much money not to be multi-faceted. Przybilla is still starting for Portland, and they won't want to move him until Oden comes back, as he LOVES Portland as well.

ASG isn't going to be making many moves before the deadline, so what you see is basically what you get, unless something gets done for Gasol, which I still think is doubtful (he's been playing much better over the past month).

Good post Cowa.

FYI re Seattle.

Club might be go-between as trading deadline nears

By Percy Allen

Seattle Times staff reporter

WASHINGTON — The NBA trading season unofficially shifted into a higher gear over the weekend with rumors certain to run rampant until the Feb. 21 deadline.

Saturday marked the first day free agents can sign 10-day contracts, and with more than a third of the season played, teams begin separating into two categories: buyers and sellers.

The Sonics (9-24) are seemingly sellers, but fall into another category: facilitators.

With two trade exceptions garnered from offseason deals, Seattle can help teams over the salary cap complete deals or it can assist teams interested in shedding payroll to avoid paying the luxury tax, which is a dollar-for-dollar penalty for teams whose payroll exceeds $67.87 million.

The Sonics have a $2.5 million trade exception from the Ray Allen deal with Boston and a little over $1 million remaining in the Rashard Lewis deal with Orlando. Seattle picked up a $9 million trade exception from the Magic and used $8 million to acquire center Kurt Thomas and two first-round draft picks from Phoenix.

In hindsight, the Lewis deal may have been a significant move in the future of the franchise. Seattle had no chance to re-sign the free-agent forward, but ultimately added a starting center in Thomas and first-round picks in 2008 and 2010.

"The trade exception could certainly prove to be valuable around the trade deadline, but it has to be something that works for both teams," general manager Sam Presti said. "It can't just work for the team that's trying to utilize our trade exception. It's hard to predict whether or not those things come into play, but it will be driven by whether it can help our team in the immediate or in the future."

The Sonics also have players who might pique interest in teams looking to add another piece to a championship puzzle. Earl Watson and Luke Ridnour have reportedly been mentioned in deals with teams needing a point guard.

Seattle has two first-round and four second-round picks in this year's draft.

N

Personally I think a 3point shooting combo guard is all we need. I don't think our big man issues are that much. When we do give up points in the paint, it's usually caused by a missed assignment or moving too late or too soon. Those can be fixed.

What kills us is a lack of shooting. Of of our players drive except Joe and to a lesser degree AJ. I mean that's good but we have to be able to shoot also. And we dont' need a point to be allworld setting us up (as long as our players all keep moving on offense). We just need them to be able to shoot and ballhandle.