• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sekou on Smith for Gasol rumors

exodus

Quote:

You want more evidence? how about the two 30+ pt games against the Bucks and NJ. Where do you think those points came from?

For every 30+ pt game Smoove has, he has another where he goes 1-12 or 2-14 from the field. On average he's a PF shooting 43% from the field. He's getting better, but he's nowhere near a max player right now and I said it's more likely than not that he'll never be worth a max contract, mostly because of his lack of scoring ability. But I believe he may get a contract at or near that level. If he does, it will be a bad idea for whoever signs him to it. If we can get him for a more reasonable price, though, I'd want to keep him. It all depends on what he can get and what we could get in exchange for him. But right now, if Gasol was on the table in return for Smoove I'd probably do it. Either way, though, I'm not opposed to trading him if we can get the right player or players in return.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

mostly because of his lack of scoring ability.

He is averaging 18 ppg, same as Gasol. And the fg% gap is closing rapidly.

Quote:

But I believe he may get a contract at or near that level.

From who? Right now no other team even has the cap space to make Smith a max offer this summer. Philly might if they trade Miller and don't go after any other free agents but that is nothing to panic about.

Quote:

....Have you really never noticed how often Smoove misses layups that he really ought to make?

Have you not noticed that hasn't been happening as much lately?

Over the last 10 games Smith is shooting 50.8%.

I've noticed some real improvement in this area lately. Used to be JS would miss anything that wasn't a dunk. Slowly but surely he is gaining confidence and some touch around the rim. He still airballs the occasional 3 footer, but not very often. I think it's just a learning curve for him and experience is the best teacher.

Quote:

Quote:

Suggesting that he's destined for injury problems is strange seeing as he has missed very little time and has returned from injuries and hernia surgery in about half the time expected.

A lot of big-time leapers end up with injury problems, like Amare or Carter or T-Mac or Wade, because of the wear and tear involved in all that leaping. Not all of them get hurt, but a lot of them do. Even Kobe and Michael Jordan had to learn to rely on other aspects of their game later in their careers, even though they never really got hurt that bad.

Josh Smith has been playing starter's minutes in the NBA since he was 18, and he's a big guy with a 40-inch vertical who's always dunking or blocking shots. It's not guaranteed that he'll get injured, and he's been pretty healthy so far, but he's been putting a lot of miles on his body from a young age, a lot of pounding, and any way athleticism declines with age no matter what. It's just that I'm not sure Josh Smith has a lot of skill or size to fall back on if his athleticism declines or if he gets hurt. He should have a lot of good years ahead of him, but I think he's more susceptible to injury affecting his game than, say, Steve Smith was.

Do you watch the games? Smoove has been scoring in the paint showing good footwork and touch with either hand.

Smoove is not any more likely to be injured than that frail lumberjack. Wade's injuries are due to his excessive out-of-control diving habits. TMac and VC are about as tough as figure skaters. munching_out.gif

Quote:

It's just that I'm not sure Josh Smith has a lot of skill or size to fall back on if his athleticism declines or if he gets hurt. He should have a lot of good years ahead of him, but I think he's more susceptible to injury affecting his game than, say, Steve Smith was.

I agree with you on this. So far, his health and healing ability have been excellent, but he depends so much on his athletic ability, if he loses it, he's toast. If aging or injury bring his athleticism down to the level of his peers, he would have a hard time breaking the starting five.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I haven't watched Gasol much the past couple of years but the people who have don't seem to impressed with him.

I know northcyde watches him quite a bit and doesn't seem the least bit interested in trading for him. MemphisX obviously sees him a lot and said flat out it would be stupid for the Hawks to trade Smith for Gasol.

It's not like you to go to bat with totally second hand information....

uglyhammer.gif

sarcasm.jpg

Quote:

I haven't watched Gasol much the past couple of years but the people who have don't seem to impressed with him.

I know northcyde watches him quite a bit and doesn't seem the least bit interested in trading for him. MemphisX obviously sees him a lot and said flat out it would be stupid for the Hawks to trade Smith for Gasol.

As the Secretary of Defense in the movie "Independence Day" told the President, when the President was explaining to Jeff Goldblum's daddy that there was no such thing as aliens or Area 51 . . .

That's not entirely accurate.

I definitely like Gasol's overall game and he would fit in quite well here. I would've traded Smoove for Gasol back in November.

When NBA teams really want to rapidly get better, they usually trade young developing talent for established talent. Gasol is an established talent that would instantly make us better offensively.

A Gasol, Horford, Marvin . . . Gasol, Smoove, Marvin . . . or a Gasol, Horford, Smoove frontine, is better than the current Horford Smoove, Marvin frontline we have now.

Having said that, I'd first see just how bad Memphis wanted to get rid of Gasol first. Chill + the expiring contracts would be my initial offer, to see if they wanted to get his salary off the books.

Now, I would only trade Smoove for Gasol in a sign and trade after the season, if the lack of a post game was a major reason why we couldn't win a playoff game or two in the first round.

Trading for Gasol is usually a move that a playoff team looking to compete for a title, would do. It's a trade that the Bulls should've done last year to balance out theit team.

Damn . . . just had to duck in my closet for about 10 minutes because of a tornado warning in my city. No damage reports yet.

Might be a rough day for you guys in Alabama today and in Georgia later tonight.

Quote:

It's not like you to go to bat with totally second hand information....

I have seen Gasol plenty back when they were a playoff team. I just haven't watched him much the last two years because they have sucked.

I have never really been a fan.

But if i want to get info on a player i generally go to the people who watch them a lot.

Do you think fans of other teams know the Hawks players as well as we do?

• Premium Member

Regardless of how zealously anybody may argue... IF Smoove loses his athleticism...He becomes a less than average player. I would like to see Smoove "Skill up" as he gets older because decline will come. How potently decline effects production is determined by skills.

Smoove is one notch higher than Harold Miner and many notches lower than Shawn Kemp.

Quote:

Quote:

mostly because of his lack of scoring ability.

He is averaging 18 ppg, same as Gasol. And the fg% gap is closing rapidly.

Quote:

But I believe he may get a contract at or near that level.

From who? Right now no other team even has the cap space to make Smith a max offer this summer. Philly might if they trade Miller and don't go after any other free agents but that is nothing to panic about.

I'm not desparate to trade Smoove for Gasol in particular, but I'm definitely not opposed to trading Smoove in general.

It's just that with the way things have been going around here lately with the ownership situation, I could easily imagine losing him for nothing if a team makes a big offer, and I also think teams might target him and Josh Childress with the idea that the ownership situation is volatile and might make it difficult for the Hawks to match.

If we get Josh Smith for a reasonable contract I'd like to keep him, but if we're going to lose him for nothing or overpay, I'd want to trade him. To me, Josh Smith is still developing, but I think ceiling is getting closer these days. He'll get better, and he may become an all-star, but I don't see him getting to that level of the truly great all-stars who can carry their team.

Quote:

Maybe i have you confused with KB. Were you heavily criticizing Gasols defense a couple of months ago or was that someone else?

Needless to say i have no interest in trading Gasol for Smith.

Yeah that was KB. He makes Gasol seem like Zaza on defense. He's not that bad. But he is soft on the defensive end, but better than Zaza. Offensively, he's a top 10 post player.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I would like to see Smoove "Skill up" as he gets older because decline will come.

Fortunately we won't have to resign him to a 12 year contract so we don't have to worry about that now.

Uhm... Gord.... if you just think about it... What is being said to you is true. Athletic players have short lifetimes...in basketball. Especially guys who jump alot.

Vinny C = Jumpers Knee.

Tmac = Bad Back.

Larry Johnson = Bad Back.

Dwayne Wade.

Dion Glover.

Not to say I think something will happen to Smoove. Just to say that to play on the level that Smoove plays on, requires that you take care of yourself.

Quote:

Not to say I think something will happen to Smoove. Just to say that to play on the level that Smoove plays on, requires that you take care of yourself.

Which he has done. the only time Smith has missed several games in a row was when he had hernia surgery.

he is 22. We don't have to worry about him getting old on us any time soon, Gord.