• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Obviously...

Diesel

If what Smoove Marvin & Horford avgs is not enough scoring for us to win, we will never win. The key is HOW we score as a team. If we move the ball get a lot of assists and make defenses work and scramble this tires teams and makes it easier to defend them.

If we stand around and wait to Joe scores or passes to a jump shooter then we don't make teams use any energy to defend.

• Premium Member

Well, there's a lot to be said about playing aggressively and playing together. However, we need some shooters that can be counted on if we're going to do this halfcourt thing. Otherwise, I submit we become a true uptempo team. When we were going back and fourth with the Cavs in the third, that played into our better style of play... basically getting out athletic wings on the run and getting them the ball on the break.

When we slowed it back down to a halfcourt game, we uncovered our weakness. It's not so much we need the shooters... it's in fact that we're not aggressive. If you trade Marvin for Rudy Gay straigth up... we'd be better. No slight on Marvin.. but then we'd have one guy in our starting lineup that will get the ball and attack the goal when an opening presents itself. Same is true with Iguodala. WE HAVE a team full of set shot artists. One other thing is this... the reason I stood up and woke up the neighbors when AJ dunked is not just because the old man got up... But it was the fact that the old man saw this huge hole in the defense and he attacked it...

It was the recognition that there's something outside of swinging the ball back around that I can do.

And that didn't make anybody's top 10??!??

Law should be taking note. We need him to play with an eye towards exploiting openings.

JJ created/scored 39 points last night. We need him to at least have him create/score at least 30 points ( preferably 35+ points ) a night, in order for us to win on most nights.

So if he goes for 28 points & 3 assists or 15 points & 8 assists, that's what we need. He's the focal point of the offense, so he either has to be a high scorer or a good distributor.

As far as the 2nd scorer, this will alternate between Smoove and Marvin. It's probably better to look at what we need combined from them, than looking for a #2 scorer. 40 ppg would be ideal bewteen the two, especially if Woody shortens his rotation to 8 guys.

I think Woody may opt to play Marvin more spot minutes at the 4, with Zaza and Shelden not playing up to par. That also means that Smoove may see spot minutes at the 5. I think he's going to ask more from both of them offensively as the season goes along. Zaza/Shelden's failure also means more time for Childress.

So you can look at this from many angles.

- have one of either Smoove/Marvin be a definitive 2nd guy.

- get a combined 40+ ppg from Smoove and Marvin

- get a combined 52+ ppg from Smoove, Marvin, and Chill

- get a combined 70+ ppg from Smoove, Marvin, Chill and JJ

Quote:

Well, there's a lot to be said about playing aggressively and playing together. However, we need some shooters that can be counted on if we're going to do this halfcourt thing. Otherwise, I submit we become a true uptempo team. When we were going back and fourth with the Cavs in the third, that played into our better style of play... basically getting out athletic wings on the run and getting them the ball on the break.

When we slowed it back down to a halfcourt game, we uncovered our weakness. It's not so much we need the shooters... it's in fact that we're not aggressive. If you trade Marvin for Rudy Gay straigth up... we'd be better. No slight on Marvin.. but then we'd have one guy in our starting lineup that will get the ball and attack the goal when an opening presents itself. Same is true with Iguodala. WE HAVE a team full of set shot artists. One other thing is this... the reason I stood up and woke up the neighbors when AJ dunked is not just because the old man got up... But it was the fact that the old man saw this huge hole in the defense and he attacked it...

It was the recognition that there's something outside of swinging the ball back around that I can do.

And that didn't make anybody's top 10??!??

Law should be taking note. We need him to play with an eye towards exploiting openings.

When we went back and forth with the Cavs in the 3rd, we were very solid defensively and on the boards. That's when the pace of the game picked up. If we play defense, we can play that pace you want to play at. But if the other team makes shots, we can't try to play fast just for the sake of playing fast.

Last night's game was won because of defense, not offense.

LOL @ the Rudy Gay for Marvin comment, then saying "no slight on Marvin".

Sure buddy . . lol.

We need shooters regardless of which style we play...Phoenix nor Dallas would be great up tempo teams if they did not have shooters, shooters spread the floor.

The problem is not Marvin. When you talk about being aggressive and attacking the basket, that has to fall on the player who takes the most shots.

• Moderators

Quote:

The problem is not Marvin. When you talk about being aggressive and attacking the basket, that has to fall on the player who takes the most shots.

I think the point was that Marvin needs to be one of the player taking the most shots on this team. He definitely has the ability to attack the basket and draw fouls and has been pretty successful at it this year. More of the same, in this case though, is actually more!

• Premium Member

You totally misunderstood what I said.

Either in this thread or another, I said that Marvin will attack when he finally gets the ball. However, He doesn't command the ball like Rudy Gay does. I was watching Memphis play a few games back. Not that he's a black hole or anything, but Memphis rotated the ball to Gay and he beat his man off the dribble two times in a row. The third time he got the ball his man was on his heels so Gay took the open shot. I think the same could be true of Marvin... however, he has to command the ball. He has to get the ball and then take his man. He has the ability, but the psyche nor the green light is there. At this point, Smoove is more likely to get to the point where he's taking his man off the dribble before Marv will be and Marvin has a better dribble...shot than Smoove.

• Premium Member

Quote:

i think marvin and smoove we be our 1 2 combo while jj is our main guy. i think smoove is just better than marvin except shooting and dribling. smoove is our rudy gay minus the shooting. but marvin does need to be agressive more often but who cares if we win.

I wish I could be that optimistic but I don't think so. I think Marvin has found his role. He seems to want to be a guy who can hit an open shot from time to time. He has tools to be much more, but aggression is not there.

Smoove too is not aggressive enough or he's just too damn lazy. He gets plenty of opportunity to do work inside but he will settle for an outside shot. Like Clockwork you can see it coming. It's like Smoove says... OK, I have the ball, nobody is around.. I can either drive or I can shoot this shot. She-it.. I'm not going in there and risk getting hit!

I think what we will see is the maturation of Horf's game. Either that or we will trade for a post player.