RPG 5.7

APG 1.9

SPG 1.2

BPG 0.3

FG% 0.494

FT% 0.799

3P% 0.200

MPG 36.0

With JJ/Miller on the team together. That would be scary!

If by interesting you mean why on Earth would the Hawks ever consider such a foolish move, then yeah that's interesting. Trade a guy who has gotten better every year, plays good defense, gets to the line better than anyone on our team, has the best midrange jumper on our team, etc. for a guy who is on the downside of his career and is mostly one dimensional. Interesting indeed.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Funny but just a few days ago you were saying the Griz wouldn't want Marvin because they had Gay. I guess that won't stop you from creating more trades to send Marvin to Memphis.

Uhm... Gord....

A few days ago, I was talking about FOR GASOL...

If you removed Miller.. guess what?... Gay can move down to SG.

Marvin can go to Sf.

• Premium Member

Did you mean trade a midrange shooter for a team that shoots horribly from outside for prolly the best longrange shooter in the game. Who is coming off of his best statistical season ever... and he's only 26?

Yeah..

Did I mention plays for Team USA also.

I wouldn't do that one, but here's a pipe dream......assuming Speedy would retire, you could do this massive deal. (lol)

Atlanta trades Lorenzen Wright, Josh Childress, Tyronne Lue, ZaZa Pachulia, Shelden Williams, Speedy Claxton, Salim Stoudamire, Future 1st (unprotected) to Memphis for Pau Gasol, Mike Miller, Hakim Warrick, and Noah Lowry.

Why each team does it (although Memphis never would)

Memphis: Creates a TON of cap space with Wright, Childress, Lue, Claxton and Stoudamire all coming off the books. They gain a few good young players that are not getting much playing time but have shown they can contribute from time to time in Shelden Williams and ZaZa Pachulia. They are going nowhere this year and this move gives them a better shot at the top pick in the upcoming draft as well as alot of money to spend (look at Portland's model). The future 1st round pick is gravy for them. Lowry is now deeper on their depth chart since MCJ is starting. Moving Miller also frees up more PT for JCN.

New projected lineup:

Conley Jr.

Navarro

Gay

Millicic

Pachulia

Bench: Williams, Childress, Stoudamire, Stoudamire, Wright, Lue, Swift, Cardinal, Jacobsen, Brown

Atlanta: For obvious reasons, Atlanta fills basically every hole they currently have. They gain another quick, young PG to give AJ a defensive break. They gain the superstar post-up player in Gasol. They gain another deep threat. Their bench is now arguably one of the best in the NBA

Projected Lineup:

Johnson

Johnson

Williams

Smith

Gasol

Bench: Miller, Law, Horford, Lowry, Warrick, West, Jones

• Premium Member

When do we play Miller if that's the case?

Let me help you to see one thing.

Miller = 57.8% 2 pt FG%

42.6% 3 pt FG%

16.2 ppg.

7.1 rpg.

4 apg.

Miller is a catalyst much the same way JJ is a catalyst. He doesn't score as much as Joe but he's responsible for a lot of points. He's efficient but he's not a guy that you bring off the bench because he's too valuable on the floor.

I hear a lot of people saying.. no.. not Marvin.. no you need more. No, Miller's not on the upside of his career.

I'm sorry. He's 27.. I guess.. we're supposed to hold that against him.

I'm sorry. He's coming off the best season of his career but we're supposed to hold that against him.

Why not just trade everybody we got for younger guys with potential and nothing else.

What has youth ever won but a ROY and a slam dunk contest?

• Premium Member

I was just trying to find the real reason why Miller is on the trade blocks and I ran across this:

Quote:

Just read Tom Ziller's post on AOL's The Fanhouse titled Valley of the Most Likely: Mike Miller's Gonna Get Traded. I'm a big fan of Ziller's work on The Fanhouse, Sactown Royalty and Ballhype, but I believe that he is off-base here. I know a certain poster on the Grizz Message Board that just named Ziller his new idol, so it is all a matter of opinion, I suppose. Here is his reasoning for Miller being traded:

But with a slew of point guards and a nice backup in Tarence Kinsey, Memphis could certainly handle life without [Miller]. Shedding his three remaining years for an expiring contract and some youth could make Memphis serious players in free agency against next summer. Miller's in his prime; the Grizzlies aren't. By the time Memphis gets there, Miller will be done. It makes sense for them to build toward a target... even if it means letting a valuable player go.

If this team were three years away from being a playoff team, then I could agree with his assessment. However, I don't think they are that far away from a return to the postseason, so I have some serious concerns about this potential trade.

He's not a star and he makes less than $10 million. But no potential hill-topping player whispered this preseason can offer what he does: Elite shooting. Miller would be a boon to almost any team fighting to join the Holy Troika; you think Kobe Bryant wouldn't love to have a fearless gunner like MiMi behind him? How about Utah, who desperately needs two-guard help (unless Ronnie Brewer is truth... which might be the case)? Cleveland and Miami would each love to add some scoring punch in the backcourt, and Miller returning to Orlando could give Dwight Howard and Rashard Lewis just the help they need. Even New Orleans, who has Peja Stojakovic and Morris Peterson on the wing, could benefit from Miller's game.

If Mike Miller is such a valuable commodity, then surely the Grizzlies can get more in return for him than an expiring contract and a young player/draft pick.
If they are just going to trade him away for cap space, they could very quickly find themselves in the purgatory that the Atlanta Hawks have dwelled in for the past decade. They traded away solid players for a chance at cap space and draft picks...and never made any progress towards a return to the glory days of the 80's. In the process, they have fostered a losing culture that they are just now beginning to pull themselves out of. Memphis cannot afford to go down that road, especially in light of their current attendance problems -- something they have in common with the Hawks. Going younger, younger, younger doesn't solve anything. You have to have veteran leadership to nurture that young talent and guide them; otherwise they have to teach themselves and you wind up with guys who never fulfill their potential.

This team needs stability in order to develop chemistry and regain the winning attitude that carried it to the playoffs three seasons in a row. Trading away a player who is a key cog in their rotation for virtually nothing in return doesn't help to achieve those goals. It isn't like Mike is a 12-year veteran that has toiled for his entire career in the hopes of a title and this is his opportunity to win a ring, so the team "does the right thing" and gives him away for 10 cents on the dollar. If anything, Damon Stoudamire is the most likely Grizzly to be traded this year, given his frank comments to an Arizona reporter/blogger this summer and the fact that the team has two young, talented PG's on the roster in the form of Michael Conley and Kyle Lowry.

Should the Grizzlies explore trade possibilities that can result in the acquisition of a true game changing player? Absolutely. Could Miller be part of that deal? Sure, why not? But to trade him away because he might not be "part of the future" while he is currently in his prime when there are other players that are definitely not part of the Grizzlies plans (Damon, Stro) on the roster would be foolhardy and short-sighted, in my honest opinion. If Miller is to be traded, it should be for tangible talent, not the pipe dreams that cap space and draft picks are made of.

While I was originally upset with the bolded comments. I came to realize that they were somewhat true. We did do that. That did happen. Some say calculated that it would take this long.. BUT my contention is about the last part. Without Vet leadership, you have guys that have to teach themselves and never really reach their potential.

My question...

Is that what we're seeing here with some of the low BBIQ stuff we see from Smoove?

Quote:

Is that what we're seeing here with some of the low BBIQ stuff we see from Smoove?

BBIQ has been good since Dec 1:

1. He is no longer shooting ill advised shots

2. is making a conscious effort to score in he paint

3. playing within team concept offensively

4. cut down on turnovers

5. imnproved shooting %

I see his BB IQ being very good for 22 year old foward. (Now if November were the only sample size I was looking at the opinion would be different.)

• Moderators

First I thought he's been around a while right?

Then I realized he's fairly young so I thought that'd be ok

Then they referred to him as MiMi in the article and I thought no way.

Then I remembered he shoots well from 3 and I thought that'd be good

Then I remembered the hair and though uggh

Then........

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why would Memphis do it though?

I don't think it is a bad deal for us but i don't see why they would do it.

Maybe you should post it on a Memphis board.

Memphis does it so that they can clear some cap room (I guess).

Like I said, I don't see why they want to get rid of him in the first place, but I had heard that they were talking with the Heat to acquire Davis (ending contract) and a protected first for Miller.

HUH?

One other thing I heard is that they might want to move Miller now because his contract is set to end at the same time as all their young players... However, that's a little far fetched thinking to me. Either way, he's on the blocks and for whatever reason, Memphis wants to move him!

The last thing I heard is that Memphis was so far away from being good that it would be a waste to keep him around until they got good. Well, I don't understand that thinking either because sometimes one player makes a big difference. However, I think Marvin is young enough to grow with their young guns either as a SF or PF.

• Premium Member

Quote:

First I thought he's been around a while right?

Then I realized he's fairly young so I thought that'd be ok

Then they referred to him as MiMi in the article and I thought no way.

Then I remembered he shoots well from 3 and I thought that'd be good

Then I remembered the hair and though uggh

Then........

I never considered the "gay" issue.

I don't think he's gay... but he could be. That could cause lockerroom problems... Maybe that's why they want him gone.

All I know is that he's a good player!

Quote:

Mike Miller for Marvin/Lo.

Then we play:

Acie/JJ/Miller/Smoove/Horf.

With JJ/Miller on the team together. That would be scary!

You always miss a key element in your quests to trade Marvin. Right now Woody is starting to play Marvin more and more at the 4. If you take Marvin & Lo away, it suddenly thrusts Shelden Wlliams and Zaza into a "you MUST produce for us every night role." If they don't, and either Horford or Smoove gets in foul trouble, we're dead in the water.

Not only would we not have the luxury of playing Marvin at the 4, we'd lose our "best" position post defender off the bench in Lo.

We'd be better offensively, but there would be a severe defensive dropoff. Miller would make us look prettier in offense. Memphis aa a whole runs a better offense than we do. But that offense doesn't traslate into wins, because they can't defend. Miller is a far worse defender than Gasol is.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Did you mean trade a midrange shooter for a team that shoots horribly from outside for prolly the best longrange shooter in the game. Who is coming off of his best statistical season ever... and he's only 26?

Yeah..

Did I mention plays for Team USA also.

Why not just exchange teams with the Grizzlies since you want all of their players anyway?