• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Is Acie Law 'playing scared'?

HAWKS1986

I understand he is a 'rookie', but one of the reason we got him was his ability to make plays. He isn't a Baron Davis. He isn't a Tony Parker. He isn't a Deron Williams. He isn't a Chris Paul.

However, I expect a little bit more from Acie Law.

Brandon Roy is not a natural PG, but he is leader with a great basketball IQ and can make shots when his team needs it.

Acie apparently has overcome his early injuries and has been playing semi-regularly the last few weeks. NOW its time to SHOW YOUR TALENT and SHOW YOUR LEADERSHIP.

Horford is an emerging player, but its time for Acie to take his game to a different level.

It seems like he is playing scared, but at some point he has to take control of this offense and if he is open, he needs to take that shot instead of giving it up or driving the ball to the basket into a turnover..

it's time for Acie to SHOW UP... The Hawks need you to do so..especially AT HOME!

We should have just taken Critt. Acie is playing scared and he barely plays at all. Part of it has to do with Woodson. The majority of it has to do with Acie. He is basically our new version of Royal Ivey except he turns the ball over,gets into foul trouble, and doesn't play very good defense.

The only reason we didn't take Critt was because he needed a year or two to develop. Acie was supposed to be ready. Instead he is playing like he just out of high school.

I really WANT Acie to succeed, but I am not liking what I am seeing from him right now..

I thought he would show that maturity and playmaking ability that we saw at Texas A/M.

I don't expect Acie to be perfect, but I am seeing very FEW 'positive' plays from Acie..

Playing PG isn't easy, but there have been a handful of guards who have come in their first year and has had a MUCH GREATER impact than Acie has..

If he is lacking confidence in his abilities, then I am worried for him..

The Hawks will give him a chance to succeed, but this team NEEDS TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THIS YEAR...

If the Hawks have to trade Childress and someone else for Mike Bibby, a seasoned veteran then so be it..

Quote:

I understand he is a 'rookie', but one of the reason we got him was his ability to make plays. He isn't a Baron Davis. He isn't a Tony Parker. He isn't a Deron Williams. He isn't a Chris Paul.

However, I expect a little bit more from Acie Law.

Brandon Roy is not a natural PG, but he is leader with a great basketball IQ and can make shots when his team needs it.

Acie apparently has overcome his early injuries and has been playing semi-regularly the last few weeks. NOW its time to SHOW YOUR TALENT and SHOW YOUR LEADERSHIP.

Horford is an emerging player, but its time for Acie to take his game to a different level.

It seems like he is playing scared, but at some point he has to take control of this offense and if he is open, he needs to take that shot instead of giving it up or driving the ball to the basket into a turnover..

it's time for Acie to SHOW UP... The Hawks need you to do so..especially AT HOME!

I think the only way we're going to see the real Acie, is of Woody puts him back in the starting lineup. See if playing him early can get him going. He may be the opposite of Lue. He may be the type that has to start games and get in the flow right away, instead of coming off the bench. He controlled everything at A & M. He might need Woody's blessing to control things here.

He is playing scared. Playing not to make a mistake. I know that feeling as a ballplayer. It messes with your mind and your game. That's possibly what's wrong with a guy like Zaza.

And change your sig, and add this game to the list of blown games.

Acie has just as much talent as Critt and Stuckey, if not more honestly.

But the problem is one thing- Like you said, he's playing scared. He's playing like a rookie who doesnt want to mess up, therefore messing up. We know he can shoot from being in college, we know he can drive and dish from what he's done with team.

But what we also know is that doesn't have the balls to shoot while playing with the Hawks and shys away from the ball period.

Honestly, this may fall on Woody and the fact that Woody maybe hounding him about his turnovers.

Acie has talent and the head game too. But right now he's playing scared.

Bottom line is (IMO) you don't get starters or even instant big contributors with every 1st round draft pick. We did pretty darn good last year - we got Al Horford who is a monster (19 rebounds and many other quality plays tonight) we hit the jackpot!

As far as Acie goes, it looks like it is going to take more time with him. That doesn't make him a bust. Hell's bells, Billups was a slow starter at PG and took years to develop his game into what it is now.

We should be happy with Al and get another PG.

Quote:

I think the only way we're going to see the real Acie, is of Woody puts him back in the starting lineup. See if playing him early can get him going. He may be the opposite of Lue. He may be the type that has to start games and get in the flow right away, instead of coming off the bench. He controlled everything at A & M. He might need Woody's blessing to control things here.

He is playing scared. Playing not to make a mistake. I know that feeling as a ballplayer. It messes with your mind and your game. That's possibly what's wrong with a guy like Zaza.

And change your sig, and add this game to the list of blown games.

I also added the Cleveland game on the road as well..

It is beginning to add up.... That's at least FIVE GAMES the Hawks 'have given away' and now the NBA for the first time in 25 YEARS, took a game away from the ATL..

Quote:

Bottom line is (IMO) you don't get starters or even instant big contributors with every 1st round draft pick. We did pretty darn good last year - we got Al Horford who is a monster (19 rebounds and many other quality plays tonight) we hit the jackpot!

As far as Acie goes, it looks like it is going to take more time with him. That doesn't make him a bust. Hell's bells, Billups was a slow starter at PG and took years to develop his game into what it is now.

Horford was a 'draft-do-over'(2007) in essence when Shelden was picked the year before (2006)... I am happy with Al's performance. He is definitely an emerging player..

I pray Acie shows his talent very soon.. if not the Hawks may have to go the 'veteran' route and get someone such as a Mike Bibby or try to acquire a first round pick and seek to draft someone such as Memphis' Derrick Rose who will likely turn PRO after the college season ends..

Acie did seem a little tentative tonight but Woody hardly gave him much time to grow out of it. He was only in a few minutes.

I was at the game and it didn't appear that Woody yanked him or was upset with him. Don't know why he didn't give him a few more minutes, other than Woody must have wanted AJ in during a game that was tight wire-to-wire.

Quote:

I hate to bring this up, but Mike Conley in Memphis has already taken control of that offense. That Memphis team is night and day with Conley at the controls, than Damon Stoudamire. If Conley sees a mismatch, he's either getting the ball to that man, or trying to score himself, if he has the mismatch.

When you play PG on any level, you have to act like that is YOUR team, even if it isn't. Even when you're a backup, you have to have that mentality. That's why they call the PG the "floor leader". If you notice, AJ acts like this is his team when he's out on the floor. That's how a PG is supposed to act.

Acie has to first develop the mentality that he's better than AJ. Then he has to take COMPLETE CONTROL when he's on the floor. That means he needs to take the open jumpshot . . or drive and kick . . or run to get the ball when one if our forwards get a rebound, so that HE can lead the break . . or constantly talk to people on offense and defense, to get everyone in the right spot.

Those are the things he did at A & M.

This is the same guy that said that he's not afraid to fail in interviews before the draft. But to me, that's exactly how he's been playing lately . . . like he's afraid to fail ( or get pulled out of a game for a bad play ). He'd rather make no play at all, than to make a bad play. And he just can't play like that.

Quote:

Acie did seem a little tentative tonight but Woody hardly gave him much time to grow out of it. He was only in a few minutes.

I was at the game and it didn't appear that Woody yanked him or was upset with him. Don't know why he didn't give him a few more minutes, other than Woody must have wanted AJ in during a game that was tight wire-to-wire.

Woody has limited Acie's time, but Acie has to be ready to make positive plays.. Acie had a WIDE OPEN JUMPER and decided to drive to the basket and I believe it ended up into a negative play.

Acie has to have a better mental approach coming into the game regardless of what minutes he receives. He has to make a better 'first impression' in each game he plays. I think Woody wants him to 'take over'..but the operative word is TAKE.. Players such as Dwayne Wade, Baron Davis, Deron Williams, Brandon Roy, Chris Paul or even to a lesser degree Monte Ellis or Ben Gordon TAKE CHARGE..and make plays.

MEMO TO ACIE: Study your opponent(s). Hit the weights daily. Look at tapes of great point guards. And stay confident and level headed.

Down the stretch in games, I would like to see the ball in Acie Law's hands making clutch FT's, drawing fouls, hitting clutch threes and controlling the tempo..

I'm watching the Memphis / Golden St game. Monta is straight ballin'. 25 points so far. Damn, he just missed his first shot of the game. He was 11 for 11.

Memphis has the lead down to 11, because the Warriors will always let you back in a game with all those jumpers.

As for Acie, he just hs to act like this is his team.

Quote:

I'm watching the Memphis / Golden St game. Monta is straight ballin'. 25 points so far. Damn, he just missed his first shot of the game. He was 11 for 11.

Memphis has the lead down to 11, because the Warriors will always let you back in a game with all those jumpers.

As for Acie, he just hs to act like this is his team.

Monta came right out of high school,but it seems like he always have a great feel for the game and that 'confidence' to make plays. He came into the league at 19, but he was contribuing significantly when he was a rookie and won the Most Improved Player in his second year..

Monta is a 'baller', and has been instrumental in Golden State's resurgence in the last two years..

I was hoping the Hawks would have tried to trade for him over this past summer!

• Premium Member

Well, to be honest, we brought him into a pressure filled situation. We' re no longer rebuilding. We have rebuilt (according to BK) and Acie was the last piece. The thing that Acie has to know is that this may be it for Speedy, Aj, and Law and he will definitely be the last man standing. At the beginning of the season, he had the look that he was in charge. He got injured and AJ's vet presence emerged. Psychologically, I don't know what that does to a person to become everybody's second favorite. Especially when you're used to being "the man". This is the time when I wish we had Terry Porter as our coach. Porter is a guy who could be sensitive to Acie's position. Still, there's an unclaimed future that we must talk about. Will we pay Aj because he fits in so well or at some point does Woody turn the team back over to Acie?

It's going to be interesting to see where this goes!

Let's all not forget the obvious either...there's a helluva big difference between going against Big12 PGs every night and going against NBA PGs - the best of the best - every night.

The Big12 is a great football conference and a pretty darn good basketball conference (albeit a bit top heavy). Still, in the pros Acie doesn't get those nights when he's up against the Iowa State or Colorado PG and can dominate.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Let's all not forget the obvious either...there's a helluva big difference between going against Big12 PGs every night and going against NBA PGs - the best of the best - every night.

The Big12 is a great football conference and a pretty darn good basketball conference (albeit a bit top heavy). Still, in the pros Acie doesn't get those nights when he's up against the Iowa State or Colorado PG and can dominate.

Actually, I don't think that holds much... TJ Ford is a product of the Big 12. Moreover, guys like Andre Miller, Dwayne Wade, and others came from what I would call Lesser conferences.

I think what it really boils down to is coaching and team.... Guys like Paul, Williams, Felton, Miller all came into the league onto teams that were in the midst of rebuilding. Those guys were basically given the keys to the team (Much like MCJ) However, it's much more pressure for a guy to pull a Sam Cassell and come aboard a team that trying to compete and have expectations that you will be the final piece (at PG).

I want to see more play making from Acie.. But thus far, I'm not disappointed. He still looks to be a good drive and dish PG down the line.

As some of you probably remember, I was really against drafting Law (I wanted Stuckey). But at the beginning of the season he showed some talent and made me feel a lot better about the pick. Since he got hurt, though, it's like he's just not making anything happen out there. He seems to be able to get to the basket but doesn't often try, he's reluctant to take jump shots, and he's not getting enough assists. I'm just not sure what the deal is with him right now.