• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What stands out in the box score ?

coachx

http://www.nba.com/games/20080115/DENATL/boxscore.html

What stands out to you, the most, in the above box score ?

To me, it is how much better the Hawks shared the ball in comparison to the Nuggetts. The number of shot attempts were spread out evenly through the whole roster for the Hawks. You look at the Nuggetts and all their shots came from 3 perimeter oriented players.

We had 33 assist to 22 for the Nuggetts.

Way to take the Nuggetts, AI, and Carmelo, to school on how to play team basketball ! (Who thought we would ever be saying that the Hawks schooled any one on team basketball ?).

One thing the Nuggetts commentators said about the Hawks. "This Hawks team is the best we have seen this year at setting screens in the half court offense." Horford was doing an excellent job of this in the 1st half. Early in the year he was called for alot of fouls on "moving screens." I spit up my dinner when I heard another team's commentators compliment the Hawks' half court offense.

These Hawks are no longer taking baby steps...they are FOR REAL !

the fact that it shows that solomon got in the game two games in a row now.

he needs to continue to get playing time in my opinion...now that he has shown he can stay in the game without fouling out so soon, it's important he gets burn to gain experience...also getting to play, and having to play against big men, gives extra motivation for him to continue to get bigger

Quote:

Yeah, I posted this earlier, good to see I am not the only one that noticed and is suprised by 33 assists.

Didn't mean to steal you thunder.

What I liked more then the assist #'s were how evenly our FG attempts were spread out. This did not allow the defense to focus on any one player.

All 5 starters had over 10 FG attempts and Law and Chills each had 9 FG attempts off the bench. It shows all our guys are playing as a team while still playing agressively on offense and seem to be finding their roles/niche' on the team.

Mean while, for Denver, 3 players had 15 FG attempts or more. Atlanta did not have one player who jacked up that many shots. Hard to win playing selfish ball like that...even when the selfish players are named Anthony and Iverson.

Maybe, but I truly believe that Shelden is still going to have a very good NBA career and just as it's been important to not give up on Solo we can't give up on Shelden either. I'm really not sure why he isn't playing more since he has played well when given minutes this year. I guess that Woody has just found a comfort zone with his rotation and wants to keep it that way since our team can be fragile psychologically at times.

Things that jumped out at me:

Marvin 8-12 fgs 3-4 fts 19 pts

(not in the box score but) 62% team shooting first half

Free throws 20-25 (80%)

Solo playing reasonable minutes 2nd game in a row. This is a mystery to me. The guy sits constatntly and often doesn't dress and suddenly he's getting minutes? There has to be more to this than meets the eye. Is Woody testing him to see if he can do the job in case of a trade (Shelden/Zaza?).

Quote:

That's 33 assists on 40 field goals. That's a ridiculously high rate. I would like to see our winning percentage when compared to our assist rate, I expect a pretty good correlation. Somebody get on that.
shrug.gif

This is a study I have wanted to do for a while, but I just don't have the time to compile the data, clean it, and then run the stats. Well running the stats won't be tough, but the database work is a pain. If someone wants to collect box scores and send me the data, I can run the regression. The working hypothesis is:

Teams that have more assists than the other, will win more of the games.

Thus, all the database needs is for each game the assist totals and final score, and a dichotomous w/l column.

Quote:

Quote:

JJ +18

MW +14

AL +9

JS +7

AH +7

The future...

No JC in your future??

No, he's in there too, but only he had a +- of -1 last night, which didn't really jump out at me like the numbers for the 5 guys above did. Those 5 are widely considered the starting 5 of the future for our team, and along with JC are the "core", so it's great seeing them all with such positive numbers in the same game.

By the way, I by no means think the +- is all that great of a stat, it's just that for this particular game it jumped out at me.