• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

We have a good 3pt shooters but whaz'up with him?

Brotha2ThaNite

People keep saying the Hawks need a shooter, and they do, but the question is where is this "shooter" supposed to play? JJ is the shooting guard and best player who gets 40 minutes a night, Marvin and Chill split the minutes at the 3, so no room there for a shooter either. Maybe a point guard who can shoot but that person also has to be an effective point guard or the offensive will stagnate anyway.

So, let's hope Law matures . . .

As was stated the last few days, I think Salim is more of a "scorer" then a "pure shooter."

A true shooter can catch the ball and shoot quickly with accuracy.

Salim has to step into his shot or shoot off the dribble as he brings the ball up the court.

That is how "scorers" shoot but not how a "pure shooter" shoots the rock.

Salim cannot space the floor effectivly b/c when the ball is kicked out for him to shoot and open 3 he can't shoot accurately without taking an extra step into his shot and by then the defense has already reacted and rotated to him.

Salim is not the "pure shooter" that many think he is.

I hope Salim comes out with a 4/4 3 pt shooting night that makes me eat crowe but the only way he can do that is if we are down by 30 and he is thrown out their to street ball us some points.

Quote:

As was stated the last few days, I think Salim is more of a "scorer" then a "pure shooter."

Salim has to step into his shot or shoot off the dribble as he brings the ball up the court.

Salim cannot space the floor effectivly b/c when the ball is kicked out for him to shoot and open 3 he can't shoot accurately without taking an extra step into his shot and by then the defense has already reacted and rotated to him.

I hope Salim comes out with a 4/4 3 pt shooting night that makes me eat crowe but the only way he can do that is if we are down by 30 and he is thrown out their to street ball us some points.

I have never notice that. I will be on the watch out for that the next time he is in the game. I thought he could shoot with out the extra step. Too bad I have deleted the other recorded games.

Yep you are absolutely correct about that coach. Salim is far from an excellent shooter as well. Reggie Miller was an excellent shooter. So were Larry Bird, Craig Hodges, etc. Salim is a rhythm/volume shooter that makes/misses baskets in streaks and while there are times when he can probably come in and provide instant offense there are far more times when he comes in and starts jacking up shots and doesn't hit jack.

Quote:

People keep saying the Hawks need a shooter, and they do, but the question is where is this "shooter" supposed to play? JJ is the shooting guard and best player who gets 40 minutes a night, Marvin and Chill split the minutes at the 3, so no room there for a shooter either. Maybe a point guard who can shoot but that person also has to be an effective point guard or the offensive will stagnate anyway.

So, let's hope Law matures . . .

The idea to trade for a tall shooter is to give JJ more time off in the game. Last night is a perfect example of why the Hawks need another shooter that can spell JJ. With another shooter, JJ doesn't have to play 43 minutes v. the Nuggets. OR, JJ plays 43, and then only plays 35 in the second game of a b-2-b. Another 2 guard that can hit the open 3 will really help the Hawks bench tremendously. The guys I would really like to see if Pietrus or maybe Sefalousha (sp?).

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Salim cannot space the floor effectivly b/c when the ball is kicked out for him to shoot and open 3 he can't shoot accurately without taking an extra step into his shot
and by then the defense has already reacted and rotated to him.

Well, the only shoot he made against the Sun was a spot up 3pt. So, for now your post doesn't look correct whistling.gif

Quote:

Salim is not a good 3pt shooter... 38%, 36%, 26% (first three years) is not something to be impressed about. He just has a rep of being a good shooter coming out of college.

Because he was an EXCELLENT SHOOTER in college. And he had maximum range. But he was always a heavy minutes starter and college is a different game. He simply isn't effective off the bench. espeically when he comes out blasting bad shots early in the shot clock, like last night.

Quote:

Quote:

Salim cannot space the floor effectivly b/c when the ball is kicked out for him to shoot and open 3 he can't shoot accurately without taking an extra step into his shot
and by then the defense has already reacted and rotated to him.

Well, the only shoot he made against the Sun was a spot up 3pt. So, for now your post doesn't look correct whistling.gif

your funny kid.