• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I am really hoping for us to acquire Dalembert

Admin

There is no doubt that BK loves Daly and I'm sure that Woody would welcome the trade with open arms. If Philly is serious about moving him (so says ESPN so that they can clear enough money to sign Elton Brand in the offseason) then we have to make a move for him. We could send them the expiring contracts of Lue and Lo along with Shelden which would clear up ~7million for them in the offseason. If they could use that money towards part of Brands salary and get him to teach Shelden how a Duke PF is supposed to play in the NBA I think that would be an improvement over having Dalembert.

Getting Dalembert would be a coup as it would allow us to move Horford to his natural PF spot and would free us up to move Smoove, Marvin, or Chillz in a trade. As much as it would be hard to imagine trading him, Smoove has the most value and is the most logical for us to trade since we need Marvins shooting at the 3 and Chillz doesn't have nearly the value of Smoove. I would consider sending him to Golden State for Monta Ellis and Brandan Wright as that would give us a scoring guard to pair with JJ and while Wright is still pretty raw he has shown flashes this year of the player he can become.

So in this scenario we would lineup:

Ellis/AJ/Law

JJ/West

Marvin/Chillz

Horford/Wright//Solo

Dalembert/Zaza

That would mean that Zaza could stop nursing his fake injury and Solo and West would get more playing time. We would be solid inside and have another scorer on the outside.

I would still prefer to keep Smoove but I just can't imagine letting him be our SF without a PG capable of shooting from outside or sending Marvin to the bench when he has proven he should be a starter.

Quote:

...Getting Dalembert would be a coup as it would allow us to move Horford to his natural PF spot...

This is an interesting quote that I stole from the realgm board. The quote is by Cheryl Miller, after she had dinner at Horford's house (his mom cooked an authentic Dominican meal):

"It's interesting the way they are playing this year, with so much poise, even though they are still so unbelievably young," Miller said in a phone interview Wednesday. "And for Al to develop the way that he has so far, playing out of position, really speaks to the type of athlete, player and person that he is."

The most interesting part for me is the "out of position" part. I can't imagine she would say that if Horford was saying to her that he believed he really was a natural NBA center. It kind of tells me that Al figures he is playing out of position - but he's a rookie and a team guy so he won't make any waves. Besides - better to start out of position at center than to sit the bench behind Josh Smith at PF.

As far as the trades part of your post - I'm undecided on trades of any of our core players so I won't addresss that.

I like it. But not enough to do it. I'm not sure, but I think I would trade Joe before Smoove. Only if the right situation presented itself, though. Smoove is a hometown guy. He provides so many intangibles. For instance, if I could trade Joe for Chris Paul as the principals, I would probably do it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Centers are WAY overpaid in this league, Dalembert included. whoever we get unless via the draft is going to cost us.

Dalembert might be overpaid, but that doesn't mean that he's not the guy for us. He add a rebounding, shot blocking presence to our team. Dalembert, Horf, Smoove in the frontcourt spells trouble for the league.

Quote:

Quote:

Centers are WAY overpaid in this league, Dalembert included. whoever we get unless via the draft is going to cost us.

Dalembert might be overpaid, but that doesn't mean that he's not the guy for us. He add a rebounding, shot blocking presence to our team. Dalembert, Horf, Smoove in the frontcourt spells trouble for the league.

Or even better:

Marvin, Horford, Dalembert

tongue.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Or even better:

Marvin, Horford, Dalembert

tongue.gif

I'd love a trade Dalembert IF we could keep the core guys.

Dalembert, Horford, Smoove = There are plenty of minutes to split up between 2 positions to keep them all effective.

The PF & C positions have 96 total minutes of playing time.

Divide 3 players into 96 minutes and you get 32 mpg for each guy.

Post poistion players routinely have their minutes reduced on nights where they are in foul trouble, so 32 mpg is close to what these guys get currently.

Smith could still get all 32 mpg at PF and Horford would be left with 16 mpg at PF and 16 mpg at C. He would be the ultimate utility post player off the bench.

We have 3 high energy post guys that would wear down teams. Marvin to hit some J's to keeps defenses off Joe.

Sounds NIIIIICE !

You would send Horford to the bench if we made a non core player trade for Daly rather than trading Smoove? The two problems that I see are that we cannot afford JJ, Daly, Smoove (re-signed), Chillz(re-signed), and Horford, so one of them would have to go. The other problem is that I want Horford getting as many minutes as he can and I want him starting against the other teams starters so that he develops as quickly as possible. Another thing is that while the minutes work themselves out in a logical manner, I don't think the psychology of it is as simple. I don't think that Horford would be unaffected by it, no matter how mature he seems. Maybe I'm wrong and he would welcome becoming a 2nd string player but I doubt it.

Quote:

You would send Horford to the bench if we made a non core player trade for Daly rather than trading Smoove? The two problems that I see are that we cannot afford JJ, Daly, Smoove (re-signed), Chillz(re-signed), and Horford, so one of them would have to go. The other problem is that I want Horford getting as many minutes as he can and I want him starting against the other teams starters so that he develops as quickly as possible. Another thing is that while the minutes work themselves out in a logical manner, I don't think the psychology of it is as simple. I don't think that Horford would be unaffected by it, no matter how mature he seems. Maybe I'm wrong and he would welcome becoming a 2nd string player but I doubt it.

Horford would be the best utility post player ,off bench, in the league. Championship teams without a top 5 superstar MUST have that kind of depth to win a championship. With Horford and Chillz we would have that kind of depth.

I still believe Law is the truth. I am willing to wait on him before I trade away Smith and regret it.

Depth in the post is a good thing. Sheldon and ZaZa are not geting it done.

Quote:

? problems that I see are that we cannot afford JJ, Daly, Smoove (re-signed), Chillz(re-signed), and Horford, so one of them would have to go.

We don't have to resign Horford for 3 more seasons.

We don't have to resign Marvin untl after the 2009 season.

We could keep that team together until Horfords deal is up and by then JJ's deal would be up too. Plenty of time to make those decisions. Alot can happen in 3 & 1/2 seasons.

Quote:

...We don't have to resign Horford for 3 more seasons.

We don't have to resign Marvin untl after the 2009 season.

We could keep that team together until Horfords deal is up and by then JJ's deal would be up too. Plenty of time to make those decisions. Alot can happen in 3 & 1/2 seasons.

Agreed coachx...lots of things can happen in 3 seasons or so. While it's nice to have a "general outline" of what the team might look like that far into the future, it's unlikely that any detailed specific plans will hold up for that long. Realistically there will be unplanned events like some guys developing better than others, injuries, doghouse visits, etc. As in other pro sports, you do the best you can to make your team as good as you can now. A key here is that you have to do that within a limited budget so you limit gambling on big longterm contracts for unproven players (see: Speedy Claxton).

I would see nothing wrong with a kind of "guest center" program...meaning you bring in a defensive center that you can afford now, but who doesn't have a long multi-year contract to worry about. You may have to pay fairly serious cash for him but, you can always let him go and get a different center for the future when other priorities require that money. Keep the core together as best you can and if you have 3 or 4 different defensive centers in 5 years...what the heck? The key thing to avoid is a situation like the Bulls have with Ben.

The thing is, Daly is finally performing like a starting center (11.6 ppg, .535 fg%, 10 rpg, 2.6 bpg), so his contract isn't nearly as bad as it was in the past. The one problem I see with him is that he is a foul machine. With most head coaches, this could be managed, but with Woodson... doh.gif

I would trade Smoove for him, and pray for a new head coach.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The thing is, Daly is finally performing like a starting center (11.6 ppg, .535 fg%, 10 rpg, 2.6 bpg), so his contract isn't nearly as bad as it was in the past. The one problem I see with him is that he is a foul machine. With most head coaches, this could be managed, but with Woodson...
doh.gif

I would trade Smoove for him, and pray for a new head coach.

You're a 76er fan right?

Maybe one of those from way back...

Back with Dr. J. Moses Malone, and Cheeks...

This gets you happy right??

One-on-One.jpg

It must be because you suggesting that we trade Smoove for Dalembert... is CRAZY!!

Quote:

You're a 76er fan right?

I am a fan of the Sixers just like you are the president of the Marvin fan club.

Quote:

It must be because you suggesting that we trade Smoove for Dalembert... is CRAZY!!

Smoove for Dalembert is just as crazy as Marvin for Dalembert.

For anyone else that wants Dalembert, you won't get him for scrubs and expiring contracts, the cost will be significant.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't disagree with that at all. I'm just trying to prepare everyone for reality who thinks we'll get him for next to nothing and not have to pay him either grin.gif