• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks Toronto . Diesel's take.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I know a lot of people will point to the 4th qtr when our offense stalled as the reason behind this loss. Maybe even the fact that Aj got tossed right before the half. Maybe it was LUE who breeds a 1 on 1 game. All of those are indeed factors... But our biggest problem was Defense.

All night long, Bosh has 2 points whenever he wanted it.

The Raptors just feed him. All night long... Smoove couldn't stop him. Horf couldn't stop him.

One person who shouldn't receive blame is Joe. Did JJ just jack up a three from halfcourt??

Along with Bosh scoring at will....

In the fourth... Toronto figured out that if Calderon goes baseline, our defense would collapse on him...

Once they figured that out.. it was over. I remember the play. Calderon goes baseline, defense collapse, Pass to a cutting Moon. Damn that was beautiful. If I'm not mistake Moon shook Marvin and Lue and took the wide open lane.

They ran that a few more times. We get Smart, put Horf on Calderon and Calderon used Horf like a napkin.

Point is that all game long, we were trying to keep up with a guy who was scoring at will. I don't think we ever stopped Bosh. Those 4th qtr three pointers were just nails in the coffin.

You package that with LUE making our offense one and one and now you see why we loss.

Quote:

I know a lot of people will point to the 4th qtr when our offense stalled as the reason behind this loss. Maybe even the fact that Aj got tossed right before the half. Maybe it was LUE who breeds a 1 on 1 game. All of those are indeed factors... But our biggest problem was Defense.

The Raptors just feed him. All night long... Smoove couldn't stop him. Horf couldn't stop him.

One person who shouldn't receive blame is Joe. Did JJ just jack up a three from halfcourt??

In the fourth... Toronto figured out that if Calderon goes baseline, our defense would collapse on him...

Once they figured that out.. it was over. I remember the play. Calderon goes baseline, defense collapse, Pass to a cutting Moon. Damn that was beautiful. If I'm not mistake Moon shook Marvin and Lue and took the wide open lane.

They ran that a few more times. We get Smart, put Horf on Calderon and Calderon used Horf like a napkin.

Point is that all game long, we were trying to keep up with a guy who was scoring at will. I don't think we ever stopped Bosh. Those 4th qtr three pointers were just nails in the coffin.

You package that with LUE making our offense one and one and now you see why we loss.

Personally, I'm tired of wondering why the team lost on basically a game basis. I turned it over to Death Wish V in the 3rd period.

Quote:

Quote:

Personally, I'm tired of wondering why the team lost on basically a game basis. I turned it over to Death Wish V in the 3rd period.

Ditto.

At least Bronson got some measure of satisfaction.

First of all, I have to hit the right buttom on the keyboard.

Whan the shots aren't falling, Atlanta will loose. Count

on it. Our defense might not have been great. When you

lose, defense gets a lot of blame. But, check the score.

Hawks didn't give up many more points than usual.

In the first half, it was all Josh Smith. He carried all

the scoring load. No one else could do didley squat.

In the second half, they relied on Joe to carry them.

Too many players simply failed to score. In and out shots.

Lay ups that didn't go in. A few silly turnovers thrown

into the mix.

Occasionally, a shot would go in. That kept hope alive.

But, for the most part, too many cold shooting hands in

the mix. Cover the one who's hot and let the other

players beat you - - No one stepped up - - No one

get their shot to fall. A sure formula for defeat.

blush.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto.

It wasn't very good. Shame he couldn't go out better. His career might would have got another boost if he would have accepted the role of John McLaine in Die Hard. It wouldn't have been a big hit, but it could have got him a few more

deserving movies.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto.

It wasn't very good. Shame he couldn't go out better. His career might would have got another boost if he would have accepted the role of John McLaine in Die Hard. It wouldn't have been a big hit, but it could have got him a few more

deserving movies.

Wow ! Then there would be no Bruce Willis which means there may not be a Demi Moore which means Austin Kucher would be with a woman younger then his mother.

Wow, this just got deep.

It is extremely difficult to beat a team down the stretch who have a good floor general/ PG coupled with a dominant post player. Throw in the fact that shooters surround that PG and post player and you know why Colangelo's teams win. That combination makes for the most efficient style of basketball. The Raps system looks alot like Jerry Sloan's to me. Granted Sloan does not have the shooters he once had. Todays Raptors team play like the Jazz teams of:

Stockton, Hornececk, Russell, Anderson, Malone, Ostertag. The Raps just don't run the 2 man pick and roll alot like Stockton and Malone did.

Now when I say skilled PG I am talking John Stockton skill, not Marbury, AI, ball hog / streetball skill. Calderon knows what to do with the ball and gets the ball in Bosh's hands in the perfect place at the perfect time.

I like how he will give an entry pass to Bosh only for Bosh to quickly pass back to Calderon. Bosh then repositions for a better post up spot and Calderon quickly dishes back to Bosh for the re-post.

Law, Smith, and Horford need to take notes on that.

JJ is the only Hawk I have seen try to repost and actually get the ball this year. I have seen Horford repost but the teamate never gives him the ball back.

We basically watch Calderon give Lue a clinic of how the PG position is played with your mind.

I hope Law was paying attention b/c we know Lue was not.

I give dap to all the posters who could forsee Calderon's rise as one the NBAs top PGs. I could never see him being this good 2 years back when he first got here.

Quote:

Throw in the fact that shooters surround that PG and post player and you know why Colangelo's teams win. That combination makes for the most efficient style of basketball...

Hmmmm....it's that "thinkin" ish ehh? So we have to have a strategy...kinda like flanking moves from Kennesaw to Atlanta...like Sherman used...a plan....Hmmmm.

"There's something wrong with these cans? They're shooting at these cans!"

• Premium Member

Quote:

It is extremely difficult to beat a team down the stretch who have a good floor general/ PG coupled with a dominant post player. Throw in the fact that shooters surround that PG and post player and you know why Colangelo's teams win. That combination makes for the most efficient style of basketball. The Raps system looks alot like Jerry Sloan's to me. Granted Sloan does not have the shooters he once had. Todays Raptors team play like the Jazz teams of:

First of all, Toronto's System is not really big oriented. They have one post player and among post players, he's not great. Their system is that they overwhelm you with Shooters. Toronto could have played us with Royal Ivey at the PG and they would have overwhelmed us. We didn't stop Bosh. Like I said, Bosh is not a great post player, but left unchecked, he will destroy the interior.

We were too afraid to have Horf get into foul trouble and we haven't figured out yet that Smoove knows very little about positional defense in the low post.

Smoove ought to be used as a secondary defender.. which means that we ought to play somebody that allows him to rover. I was hoping that Shelden or Solomon would get a bump in minutes just to stop what happened. We were so worried about defending the perimeter that we just gave them the interior. When a team has the interior, everything they do works.