• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone watching the game online?

Admin

Quote:

So you are saying that Woody has done a good job teaching pick and roll defense?? Gotcha

I don't know. Marvin, JJ, and Acie ( nice 3-ball Acie ) seem to have little problem with the pick and roll. Smoove, Lue, and Chill seem to have a problem with it. Lue especially, because he routinely finds himself out of position when he gets picked off. Smoove tends to either not close out on shooters, or tries to trail a guy going to the hole, to block a shot.

Acie is playing very well now.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Actually that isnt true. Acie and Horf(Two guys who many consider quality defenders.) are now struggling with it as opposed to Lue and Zaza(Terrible defenders) in yrs past.

Nice job, Acie! Steal that job!!!!

They handle it better than Smoove and Lue. And I'll give the rookies more leeway because they've only been in the league for 3 months. Smoove and Lue have seen it enough, to know what to do when they see it.

Quote:

Exactly, at some point it has to come back to the scheme...Players have seen it a ton and still dont defend it well. That seems like scheme problems to me.

Defense is a lot about awareness, regardless of scheme. Good defenders in this league can play man or zone. You stick a Trenton Hassell or a Raja Bell on the Hawks, and they're not going to b hampered by Woody's scheme.

See . . another poor job by mainly Lue and Smoove that led to Jones' 3.

The pick and roll defending is Woody's fault. He has them switch men on every pick and roll, so the Blazers can choose their mismatch every time down the floor.

Woody should have the guy whose man is setting the screen step in the path of the player coming off the screen (it's called "hedging"). That will force the dribbler to take an extra step or two away from the basket and give both defenders time to recover.

If Woody had us hedging or doubling the ball handler instead of straight switching the Blazers couldn't dictate matchups like this.

I feel sorry for Acie. He plays a great game but our coach, who wants to make D a big concept, lets the defensively challenged TLue(Who is slow, small, and terrible defensively)play b/c of his offense. Nice way to teach a young player that you are a liar, Woody. Not only is he a liar, he is a terrible coach. Cant wait until we have a new one, and it is coming. Just wait.

Good point made by Smitty. JJ made Roy go right, instead of left, forcing him toward Smoove. And the Hawks didn't run out to help.

Ahh . . JJ missed the fade. Kind of wished he'd went to the hole to force the issue a bit more. I can live with that shot though.

Question now is this: Does Woody stick with the JJ - Chill backcourt . . or does he bring back in Lue or Acie?