• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Bottom Line re: trades

Nicholasp27

if u are gonna use the argument that we need to trade from our redundancy to help the team, then you should be either trading smoove or horford

smoove is not a sf, while marvin is a natural sf

so to trade marvin for a center doesn't help the redundancy

so u need to trade smoove or horford; and do u really wanna trade smoove for gasol? smoove has the potential with maturity to be a top 5 player; gasol is a better al harrington: ole defense and good post offense

if u wanna trade marvin, then fine...make a trade for him, but don't use the argument that we need to put players in their natural positions, because smoove is not a natural sf

also, i see no need to upgrade starting pf/c...smoove/horford tandem scores over 25ppg and rebounds close to 20rpg...they hold opponent centers to lowest ppg of any other starting center

we are fine at 2/3/4/5 starting and 2/3/4 backup

what we NEED is a good consistent backup center, as shelden/zaza/solo aren't there yet and we need another pg to team up with law long-term (aj ain't getting younger)

for the short term, i'd play smoove 10mpg at center when horford is on the bench if u aren't gonna give the 10mpg consistently to either shelden or zaza or solo to allow them to grow and be consistent

Quote:

if u are gonna use the argument that we need to trade from our redundancy to help the team, then you should be either trading smoove or horford

so u need to trade smoove or horford; and do u really wanna trade smoove for gasol? smoove has the potential with maturity to be a top 5 player; gasol is a better al harrington: ole defense and good post offense

if u wanna trade marvin, then fine...make a trade for him, but don't use the argument that we need to put players in their natural positions, because smoove is not a natural sf

also, i see no need to upgrade starting pf/c...smoove/horford tandem scores over 25ppg and rebounds close to 20rpg...they hold opponent centers to lowest ppg of any other starting center

what we NEED is a good consistent backup center, as shelden/zaza/solo aren't there yet and we need another pg to team up with law long-term (aj ain't getting younger)

for the short term, i'd play smoove 10mpg at center when horford is on the bench if u aren't gonna give the 10mpg consistently to either shelden or zaza or solo to allow them to grow and be consistent

Who is this "4" back-up you speak of?

And by giving Smoove 10 minutes per game at center is your plan to play him all 48 minutes each game? He already plays 36 minutes per game.

I have to agree that the cure might be worse than the disease if you're looking at trading Smoove for a big. I like what we have 2-5, just could use a defensive backup at 5 IMO.

What we do NEED is a veteran PG who can play alongside Law for a couple of years. I believe Law will be exactly what we need, but it won't probably won't start to show until somewhere in his 3rd season. This team clicks when it has solid PG play, and falls apart otherwise. Just look at December/January. He has to be an excellent 3-point shooter and proven capable of running a team. Also relatively affordable.

Guys that fit the bill: Blake (not Jack), Watson, Mo Williams. Calderon is a dream but probably not attainable or affordable anymore. I would certainly move Childress and spare parts for Calderon if it were on the table.

The deal I saw for Watson/Petro was very good. Watson has two more years on his deal after this one, perfect. Same thing for Blake. Mo has a much longer and bigger deal so working him out is more complicated and risky, but he also is the best player of the three. Any of these will work as long as we just use spare parts and expirings to get them (Zaza, Lue, Lo, AJ, maybe Shelden in a Mo deal).

Seattle is more likely to deal since they are rebuilding. Portland is probably in no rush since they are playing well.

Quote:

what it comes down to is having a reasonable set offense and someone who can shoot the damn ball...unfortunately nobody on our team can shoot the damn ball. i think this falls on marvin

While I agree with your first part... I have to say the second part is just wrong. Marvin is one of two Hawks who can consistently hit jump shots. He doesn't have 3 pt range and never will. That's fine. He can still hit jumpshots from 18 or 19 ft.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin may be a natural Sf, but Smoove is a better player. It's like picking Reggie Miller over Micheal Jordan.