• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Losing hope on Marvin

exodus

Quote:

...The 2005 draft class turned out a lot deeper than expected and Marvin is near the top of the list.

1)Paul

2)Williams

3)Bynum

Yep CP3 is having (another) breakout year. The New Orleans Hornets are 29 and 12 (prior to tonight's game). In the last three games CP3 is averaging 16 ppg (shooting 50%) while averaging 11 assists per game - all wins. munching_out.gif

Quote:

I think you may be overestimating my powers.

Who should i call out next? Hmmmm

Seriously though, what are the odds you make this thread hours before Marvin Williams has the best game in his career since he was in High School?

BTW, is it me or does Marvin Williams need to pretend he's playing in Seattle every game?

At the beginning of the game they showed him grinning ear to ear before the tip off. I couldn't help but notice and this is before I was reminded that was his hometown.

He just had the look like he came to play.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I think you may be overestimating my powers.

Who should i call out next? Hmmmm

Seriously though, what are the odds you make this thread hours before Marvin Williams has the best game in his career since he was in High School?

BTW, is it me or does Marvin Williams need to pretend he's playing in Seattle every game?

At the beginning of the game they showed him grinning ear to ear before the tip off. I couldn't help but notice and this is before I was reminded that was his hometown.

He just had the look like he came to play.

We should play in Seattle every game!!!

Quote:

Let me be the voice of reason.

Or excuse making.

Quote:

that doesn't change the fact that Marvin Williams has shown progression every year in the league.

A ham sandwich can "progress every year" in this league when he starts at age 18, was as bad as MW was initially, and is giving the unprecedented opportunity MW has been given. MW's progress is lumpy, no good, BS when you look at the likes of similar "prospect" and "athletic" (although I see MW as often clumsy) players (although much lower picks) such as Rudy Gay.

Quote:

As hard as it is to believe, this is only his 2nd year as a starter in the NBA.

Yawn. That's more than Gay who has been, is, and will be significantly better.

Quote:

The past 5 games the guy is averaging 17 and 7. How can you be mad at that for a guy who is the youngest player on the team?

Because he was the 2nd overall pick in a Pg heavy draft, he hasn't remotely lived up to the hype people wanted him professed, and he simply doesn't have the heart to be a great player. The last part is the most important. I-F MW had the heart then all the "he's young" and "he's barely been a starter" BS might mean something, because he might actually reach some level of potential and become a top player. However, he doesn't have the heart to make it mean something. THAT IS THE PROBLEM! It'll be a long, lotta work to hold up MW strap for him. Tiresome, eventually lonely work. I wish people would stop doing it and let MW carry himself for once.

W

Please explain how Marvin has been given more of an opportunity than Rudy Gay? Rudy got more starts and more minutes in each of his first two seasons.

Gay's biggest critics have always questioned his heart, oddly enough. Do you really think his 3 ppg more than Marvin is significant enough to deem him superior? They're two months apart and have almost identical numbers other than Gay's extra 3 ppg.

People act like every player in the league comes into the right situaton for them to develop into stars or superstars. Each situation is different, and the people on this board know that. But some act like they don't.

They also act like all drafts, and the players in them, are equal. Like an #8 pick one year, can't be better than the #1 pick in another year.

As I pointed out before the season about Horford, he's the #1 or #2 pick in the draft in about 8 of the last 10 drafts . . the exception being last year, and the great draft with LeBron, Melo, Bosh and Wade in it. And even that year, you could make a damn good argument that because Detroit took Darko, that they might've taken a Al Horford over a Melo still, because Horford was a talented big. But because Horford goes in a draft with a dominant college big man, and the NCAA POY as a freshman, he goes #3.

And he stepped into the right situation for him to maximize his talent, although Woody would've brought him off the bench if Zaza was healthy to begin the year. Which brings us to Marvin.

In Marvin's case, I've always said that the Hawks should've immeadiatey dealt Harrington, to make more room for Marvin ( and Smoove and Chill for that matter ). Memphis did exactly that, when they traded Battier ( their starting SF ) for Gay. If the Hawks drafted Paul, we all know that Paul immeadatey starts and has a chance to make an immeadiate impact. Marvin never had that chance until year 2.

No Harrington means that either Marvin stars, or is at least the 6th man during his rookie year. Not the 7th or 8th man.

Lakers got rid of Eddie Jones for Kobe. Cavs got rid of Ricky Davis, so that Ricky wouldn't slow his development. T-Mac had to get from under the shadow of Vince, before he blew up.

It's amazing how villified Marvin is by some of our fans because he isn't some megastar yet. He's a consitent young player that is only getting better each season. But people act like his game isn't progressing any.

Marvin is in the same situaton that a Josh Howard, Darko, Richard Jefferson, and even a Joe Johnson found themselves in durng their first few years in the league. They all had to play behind people first, before getting their chance to show people what they really could do. Only Darko has struggled to develop out of that group.

Quote:

Please explain how Marvin has been given more of an opportunity than Rudy Gay?

We traded away a starter just so that MW could start and since then we've let MW start for two consecutive seasons (longer than Gay has been in the NBA).

Quote:

Do you really think his 3 ppg more than Marvin is significant enough to deem him superior? They're two months apart and have almost identical numbers other than Gay's extra 3 ppg.

I think his higher PER, TENDEX, and Roland Rating suggest it.

W