• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Should we draft a collective HS letter...

ATL_BALLER

...and send to Bruce, asking for a fair and balanced response?

I email him all the time, and he typically gets back to me. Plus, we all know he pops up here from time to time.

I know what you're thinking: 'What difference will it make?' 'The ASG doesn't really care.''He'll just feed us fluff.'

What can I say, I'm a hopeless romantic. What if Bruce waved our letter in front of Gearon's rose-tinted glasses and demanded we be heard? Can you imagine if our combined, impassioned efforts actually caused change?

Hell, we may be summoned to speak at the press conference announcing Woody's dismissal, at the hands of Diesel and co.

• Moderators

If you want to do this I would put together a few comprehensive polls so you can give them some #s to chew on in the collective letter showing the support for whatever is included in the letter.

Not everybody wants Woody fired. I believe that he is a good coach but he has been severely limited by not having a complete roster. He was a rookie head coach who was asked to come into a losing/rebuilding situation and teach a bunch of young kids how to win at the highest level and not only that but he was given an experiment for a roster to work with in which the best PG he has had is a career backup.

I want to see the team make the trade for Kidd, if possible. If not, then for Sergio or Jack or a PG like one of them. If we do that and don't improve this year then I would say it's time for Woody to go, otherwise I'm in the camp that thinks he has hadn't a fair chance and shouldn't be replaced.

Quote:

...and send to Bruce, asking for a fair and balanced response?

I email him all the time, and he typically gets back to me. Plus, we all know he pops up here from time to time.

I know what you're thinking: 'What difference will it make?' 'The ASG doesn't really care.''He'll just feed us fluff.'

What can I say, I'm a hopeless romantic. What if Bruce waved our letter in front of Gearon's rose-tinted glasses and demanded we be heard? Can you imagine if our combined, impassioned efforts actually caused change?

Hell, we may be summoned to speak at the press conference announcing Woody's dismissal, at the hands of Diesel and co.

I like the idea.

I would make a thread....we can all post our thoughts for Bruce and you can copy and paste it all into one letter.

At the very least, it would be therapeutic smile.gif

Quote:

Not everybody wants Woody fired. I believe that he is a good coach but he has been severely limited by not having a complete roster. He was a rookie head coach who was asked to come into a losing/rebuilding situation and teach a bunch of young kids how to win at the highest level and not only that but he was given an experiment for a roster to work with in which the best PG he has had is a career backup.

I want to see the team make the trade for Kidd, if possible. If not, then for Sergio or Jack or a PG like one of them. If we do that and don't improve this year then I would say it's time for Woody to go, otherwise I'm in the camp that thinks he has hadn't a fair chance and shouldn't be replaced.

Let's be honest here, Woody is a terrible coach. Sure he has not had much to work with thanks to our terrible GM, but that doesn't override the fact that he stinks.

I can guarantee that no GM other then BK would still have faith in Woody at this point.

For all we know, Woody is holding the team back. This team is on pace to win about the same amount of games as last year despite several additions to the roster, continued maturation from some of the young players AND the absence of multiple injuries! Also, remember how much Memphis improved when they replaced BK's terrible head coaching hire with a competent coach?

...and if you're interested, please post your comments to Bruce and the ASG (at the very least, it's cathartic)in a thread I'm about to create called "HS Letter to Bruce."

After a day or so, I'll then copy and paste everyone's comments into an email and send along.

We will be heard. Oh yes, WE WILL BE HEARD!

If anyone is at fault for this situation it's BK. When our starters are on the floor we are as good as anyone in the league most nights and it's not until AJ has to come off the floor that we start playing like crap. This team desperately needs an emotional leader on the floor with a high basketball IQ and until that happens it won't matter who the coach is. I absolutely guarantee that if Woody is fired he will go someplace else and have success and we will all be disappointed by the new coach who is brought in to coach a flawed roster.

Quote:

If anyone is at fault for this situation it's BK. When our starters are on the floor we are as good as anyone in the league most nights and it's not until AJ has to come off the floor that we start playing like crap. This team desperately needs an emotional leader on the floor with a high basketball IQ and until that happens it won't matter who the coach is. I absolutely guarantee that if Woody is fired he will go someplace else and have success and we will all be disappointed by the new coach who is brought in to coach a flawed roster.

It isn't BK's fault that Woody chose to play T-Lue at PG instead of Law when AJ went to the bench. It isn't BK's fault that Woody tries to run JJ to the ground when he could've give some of his minutes to Mario. It isn't BK's fault that Woody subs in Childress for Marvin every 5 minutes into a game. It isn't BK's fault that Woody plays Zaza instead of Solomon. BK has given Woody 7-9 good players but it isn't his fault that Woody uses the wrong players at gametime.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Why should we go out and get an OLD, EXPENSIVE PG to make up for our HCs shortcomings?

Working with what we have can be done with a good coach.

SEE NATE IN PTL....

Quote:

Quote:

Why should we go out and get an OLD, EXPENSIVE PG to make up for our HCs shortcomings?

Working with what we have can be done with a good coach.

SEE NATE IN PTL....

Nate has 3 PGs and each one of them would start for the Hawks.

Put Nate as the Hawks coach and we may be at .500 but not as good as the Blazers are now.

Quote:

Obviously BK is more at fault for the Hawks poor performance than Woody, but how can you explain this team's lack of improvement under Woody? Outside of one good month the team has been crap this year.

Do you think any new GM would retain Woody?

We play a very exciting style of offense this year that we hadn't played in the previous years. Do you think that Woody just all of the sudden figured out how to get us to be a running team? I certainly don't. I think he realized that we didn't have the talent capable of playing that style. We are poor in the half court and don't run much, if any, of a real offense. Do you think that Woody doesn't know how a real offense should be run? Or do you think that there is a chance that we might not have the players to get that done? Imagine if we had an actual capable PG running the team in the half court, being a coach on the floor, instructing guys where to move.

Defensively we are one of the better teams in the league and that's with a PF playing C and mostly poor defenders at PG. Imagine if we had an actual capable starting 5 how good we might be on D.

The team has improved under Woody. Do you guys really think that Woody wants to play Lue and Zaza? I certainly don't. He doesn't even appear to like them. Isn't it ironic that we played our best basketball without those 2 guys and now that they are back we are losing again? I know a lot of people seem to think that Woody is playing these guys because he wants to or thinks he should but as anybody who has ever had a job knows sometimes you have to do things that people with more power than you dictate. Maybe the owners are so cheap that they don't want to see guys making millions sitting on the bench. Then again maybe BK is trying to showcase some of the guys for trades. Yeah it's possible that Woody can't see what the brilliant people of the internet see and that's why he keeps playing Lue and Z but I highly doubt it. Wait until the trade deadline is over with and if we are still in the playoff picture I am pretty confident that the guys who make us worse on the court won't be getting as much playing time.

In saying all of these things I don't think Woody is a perfect coach or even close to it, but he is far better than many give him credit for.

Quote:

We play a very exciting style of offense this year that we hadn't played in the previous years. Do you think that Woody just all of the sudden figured out how to get us to be a running team? I certainly don't. I think he realized that we didn't have the talent capable of playing that style. We are poor in the half court and don't run much, if any, of a real offense. Do you think that Woody doesn't know how a real offense should be run? Or do you think that there is a chance that we might not have the players to get that done? Imagine if we had an actual capable PG running the team in the half court, being a coach on the floor, instructing guys where to move.

Defensively we are one of the better teams in the league and that's with a PF playing C and mostly poor defenders at PG. Imagine if we had an actual capable starting 5 how good we might be on D.

So the veteran Johnson & Johnson backcourt, that handles the bulk of the ball handling duties, is incapable of putting the team into an offensive set? Both did this with other teams. Are Marvin, Smith and Horford that clueless that they can't be taught a high school level motion offense? tinfoil.gif

I think that we do a pretty decent job in the half court with AJ and JJ, it's when AJ goes out of the game that things fall to pieces. I do think that Marvin has a problem with moving without the ball and whether that's something he is coached to do or not I don't know but he doesn't slash nearly as much as I think he should.