• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

DieselPuter on Gasol trade...

Diesel

• Premium Member

I've had time to process this trade and some of it makes sense... but there's one thing.. I will get to it last.

I'm taking the Hawks perspective so I will talk about why we wasn't dealt with AND why we should have some concern..

1. Gasol for McKie, Brown, Critt, and 2 1st rounders.

BY now, it's evident that this was a cash dump.

The reason is simple... They're tanking.

They can't afford to pay Gasol 13 million dollars and with him on the team they have the opportunity to tank more effectively.

Hiesley (sp) cannot move the team.. especially not to Las Vegas. That's some BS.

However, he's looking to keep the team in Memphis..

Before the trade, He considered hiring a new team president who is local...

Clipp

Quote:

"
I think we need more local contact. We've recognized that and we're going to be moving in that direction," Heisley said.

To hire a Memphian, Heisley said he's working with other Memphians -- his minority-share partners, a group led by J.R. 'Pitt' Hyde III.

"I don't want it to sound like I'm the guy who's going to make that decision. I think we're going to do it collectively," said the Chicago-based Heisley.

What is well understood is that the Grizz gets absolutely no following from fans...Well, they've targetted this to change...

So here's a few of the questions that went through my head...

Why deal to get nothing

They wanted Gasol gone and Plenty of Capspace.

Why not take Atlanta's deal for CHillz, Marvin, or Smoove

IN the case of Chillz, they would either let him Walk or have to resign him or worse Match.

In the case of Marvin, he duplicates what they have and he's not a good enough rebounder to play PF.

In the case, of Smoove... His salary guarantees that they would have to take back a guaranteed deal like Speedy. In fact, none of us would have respected BK if he gave up all of our expirings and Smoove for Gasol.

Is Memphis through dealing...

HELL NO..

In fact, Miller is going to be moved and if they can do it, so will Cardinal.. and guess who else... ALL OF THEIR PGs...

Dieselputer, did you say ALL of their PGs...

Well, not All but definitely Lowry and maybe MCJ...

Dieselputer, I don't believe you.. They just got MCJ..

Yep.. and he's going to be going.

Here's the Dieselputer Prediction. Somehow, MCJ goes to PTL for Channing Frye. Probably in the offseason.

We'll talk about that later...

Why all of this movement??

Well, my guess for why they are tanking and Why they will be clearing room at the PG position is the same...

I think they want Derrick Rose.

Think about it. The kid is a star at Memphis. If they can get Rose.. they will increase their fanshare.. Just like they want a local president, they realize now that they have to get some local talent in their too.

With the Lakers pick..

Joey Dorsey.

It makes a lot of sense. They build the team up the old fashion way.. Around talent that's homegrown. Use the University of Memphis like a farm team and take their talent.

So why did they get Critt?

Actually, Critt is a big guard. He can play some SG on an uptempo team once they trade Miller. I think they might keep Lowry and MCJ in tact until the offseason... However, Miller and Cardinal are next.

So what can the Hawks do?

Here's the hard deal. I've been pushing something similar, but I think that they will go for Chillz for Miller... But they will prolly try to add in Cardinal.

Chillz, AJ, Lo, Lue to Memphis for Lowry, Miller, Cardinal.

The move gives us one of the best shooters in the game and a PG who can run the offense...

The problem is this:

Who is Memphis targetting in FAcy.

I don't think Memphis will even want to resign Warrick.

However, I think they have somebody big in mind. I'm thinking a big who is athletic.

Could it be JSmove?

It's possible. It's possible that they go for JSmoove.. however, I think more likely is Okafor.

Okafor is a beast who shows up on the court.

On a team like Memphis, he will be great again.

Think about it:

Rose, Chillz, Gay, Okafor, Darko!

BTW.. Rose is NBA ready.

NBA Ready

Dieselputer, what part doesn't make sense.

Trading for Collins?

What's the deal.

Swift had an ending deal. Collins has another year.

That doesn't compute.

Well they had 3 malcontents, and moved/finished them all off in a week (stoudamire, gasol, swift)...even though they could have gotten more for them (consensus). Gives you some idea of the owners state of mind...

About the Rose thing...well maybe if Rose was at memphis for 4yrs..but only 1 and gone? maybe the late round picks are to pick up his teammates :P

• Premium Member

Quote:

Well they had 3 malcontents, and moved/finished them all off in a week (stoudamire, gasol, swift)...even though they could have gotten more for them (consensus). Gives you some idea of the owners state of mind...

About the Rose thing...well maybe if Rose was at memphis for 4yrs..but only 1 and gone? maybe the late round picks are to pick up his teammates :P

I can't see them passing up Rose.

The Memphis Tigers are undefeated and this rookie sensation has been a big part of that. Him and Ben Wallace Jr. are shoe ins to be the next Grizzlies.

It won't happen overnight, but this deal is one of the best things the Memphis Grizzlies could do.

As long as Pau Gasol was on that team, there was going to be a ceiling on how good they could become. A large part of that is his enormous salary and the fact that the Grizzlies have no wiggle room to add players to the team.

What the Grizzlies now have is a young core of talent to build around. Rudy Gay is the main cog of that core. Even with Gasol there, Rudy Gay is the Grizzlies best all around player and the only guy that has a chance to be a star on both ends of the floor.

When you add Mike Conley Jr and now Javaris Crittendon to the mix, you have a nice core to build around. Plus, you are now out from under the albatross that is Pau Gasol.

This also means that you will instantly be better defensively in the paint. As I said on here many times in the offseason, Pau Gasol is one of the worst defensive big men in the game today. He's terrible on the defensive end because he gives no effort there and he's soft.

Kwame Brown may not be much, but he is a solid defender in the paint. Jason Collins is decent as well as a defender.

Memphis is in a good position to land the stud from Texas A&M in the draft now. DeAndre Jordan is a true 7 footer who has a chance to be an impact defender in the NBA.

Stro had a player option for next year he could exercise. That's why they dealt him for Collins.

All Memphis is doing, is trying to set themselvs up for the future, but they want to have as little of payroll as possible next year. In the process, they do want a few low cost pieces to work with.

People have to keep in mind, that it's not next season in which they'll try to improve, it's 2009. 2009 is probably when they'll start to make moves to bring people in.

No, they won't trade MCJ. That makes no sense whatsoever to do.

Critt will play more of the 2, than the point.

Rudy Gay, if he keeps improving, will get the max deal in 2010.

And they'll make a major play for a nice free agent after the 08

They're the 2004 Hawks.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You just now realized that was a tank job?

That was obvious the minute I saw the breaking news.

That was a complete suicide trade

Tank job was part of it. Why they would want to tank is the most important part.

Derrick Rose.

Mark it down.

• Premium Member

Quote:

People are not going to support the Grizzlies because of Rose no more than the Hawks would start selling out games if we traded you J. Crit. People want to support a winner, just like everywhere else in the NBA.

People will support a winner OR What they know....

For instance, if the Hawks went out and traded JJ for Dwight Howard today...

Regardless of what our record may be, there will be a boost in ticket sales.

That's because Howard is a home grown star. That's one of the things that endeared this city to Nique so strongly.

Nique was a star at UGA... He was drafted by Utah, but when we traded for him... IMMEDIATELY, he became the face of the franchise. Just Like Smoove is the franchises face now...

Quote:

People are not going to support the Grizzlies because of Rose no more than the Hawks would start selling out games if we traded you J. Crit. People want to support a winner, just like everywhere else in the NBA.

Crit as a college player had nowhere near the hype or success that Rose is having. There's no comparison between the two as prospects. Atlanta would get more excited over Rose than over Crit, regardless of where they grew up or played college ball.

Crit is a talent with potential, Rose is a legit stud player.

Yeah D..I'd really like to see the Hawks throw out some non-core stuff to get Damian Wilkins here. I realize he isn't the longterm savior - but he is a hard-nosed player who would bust his butt to carve out a niche for himself here in the ATL - and there has to be some muscle-memory left from that ass-whoopin he put on us last time. duck.gif

Quote:

Quote:

You just now realized that was a tank job?

That was obvious the minute I saw the breaking news.

That was a complete suicide trade

Tank job was part of it. Why they would want to tank is the most important part.

Derrick Rose.

Mark it down.

LOL

So they can load up on point guards like we did on forwards?

Conley

Critt

Rose

LOL that would be ridiculous. Right now they need DeAndre Jordan or Michael Beasley. If anything they will be screwed if they miss out on those two because of Conley and Critt who will be very difficult to trade in this loaded PG class

• Moderators

Quote:

Rose is not hyped.

On a national level, Rose is very hyped. Maybe he flies below the radar in Memphis but he receives a ton of attention among college basketball fans. He and Beasley are probably the two biggest names in the game as far as recognized future stars.

Quote:

Quote:

Rose is not hyped.

On a national level, Rose is very hyped. Maybe he flies below the radar in Memphis but he receives a ton of attention among college basketball fans. He and Beasley are probably the two biggest names in the game as far as recognized future stars.

Exactly. Beasley would sell more tickets because Memphis wants a tough guy.

Oh and the plan in Memphis is either draft Beasley or a guard and throw the MAX at Iggy or Smith.

Quote:

Quote:

Rose is not hyped.

Exactly. Beasley is the best player of the bunch but plays for a team without much recognition. His play has been nothing short of amazing and he's putting KSU back on the map, but they're still an afterthought nationally.

Eric Gordon's making a huge splash as a scorer on a pretty decent team but there's some question about his NBA position.

But Derrick Rose is the floor leader for the best team in the country, he's CLEARLY capable of playing the point, he has the NBA body and game, and he's proving that he's a winner. If you Memphisians can't appreciate that dude you got something really wrong with you.

All I was saying is there's no comparison between Rose and Critt. No way on earth would Critt be nearly as big of a spalsh in Atlanta as Rose would be. If the Grizzlies want no part of him, that's more than fine with me.