• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would the NBA be better if contracts weren't .....

Wurider05

guaranteed. As a fan I just hate the fact that teams get saddled with players (Koncak,E. Dampier, K.Martin, P. Hardaway, 07-08 Knicks) that simply don't produce enough to warrant the salary. In the NFL they simply cut your ass or release you. That's why a team can suck one year and win the super bowl the next. The Knicks suck this year and will probably suck next year because they have bad contracts that they can't move. On the flip side you have guys like BK who wisely or not don't want to take gambles on contracts. I mean if the players don't deliver they shouldn't get a fat 5/6 year contract because they had a good season two years ago. I know the a lot of it is the owners fault or maybe I feel this way because the ASG is broke. To me a max contract means that that you are consistent and that you can pretty much be counted on every night to bring it barring injury. SO this brings me to three questions:

1. What is your definition of a max player in terms of criteria, stats, consistency, etc?

2. IS Smoove a max player as of today 02/04/08?

3. What is your bad contract starting 5 of the last few years? I know the Dampier has to be the starting center.

Quote:

1. What is your definition of a max player in terms of criteria, stats, consistency, etc?

2. IS Smoove a max player as of today 02/04/08?

3. What is your bad contract starting 5 of the last few years? I know the Dampier has to be the starting center.

1. Max player should be someone who has at least 2.5 seasons of outstanding play which has resulted in team success (minimum 2nd round playoff appearance). And ideally, someone who will likely maintain that level of performance for another 3-4 season before declining.

2. No, Smoove is not a max-type player IMHO. He has max-type potential but I'm not paying for potential. I'd use the Kevin Martin & Al Jefferson deals as measuring sticks if I were negotiating for the Hawks. I might give him $12M/season but probably nothing more than that.

3. All bad contract team for me is:

Theo Ratliffe $11.6M

(dude never was a rebounder; truly 1 dimensional)

K-Mart $13.0M

(I think he averaged 10 boards once)

T-Mac $19.0M

(never won a playoff series and stays hurt)

Ray Allen $16.0M

(for the team's 3rd scoring option?)

Star-bury $20.1M

('nuff said)

• Premium Member

No.

I think it's good that some teams get saddle with albatrose contracts. They only have themselves to blame. Even us. We knew the risk of bringing in Speedy. We knew that he had only had one healthy year. We took the risk and we're paying. "it's all a part of the game".

I think the guaranteed works both ways.

A player gets a team and a team gets a player. That's beautiful.

I agree with Joe's views of a max player, and I don't feel Josh is a max player. I really don't even like $12M, but I think an incentive based contract that could net him $12M would be fair. And the incentives should be based on team wins, not just blocks/game or things like that. Easier said than done, I know.

My all bad contract team is as follows:

C - Jerome James ($5.8) - The epitome of a bad contract. Runner up - Theo Ratliff

PF - Chris Webber ($19.0 without his new salary from GS). Runner up - Brian Cardinal. I'm giving Kmart a break, as that contract was signed previous to an injury.

SF - Michael Finley ($21.7M combined) - Hell, he's barely earning his $3M from SA! Runner up - Antoine Walker

SG - Steve Francis ($18.8M combined) - He can't even make the rotation right now in his beloved Houston, and they are looking at picking up a PG! Runner up - Larry Hughes

PG - Starbury ($20.1M) - Just incredible. Runner up - SPEEDY CLAXTON uglyhammer.gif

Wow, I can't believe Jared Jeffries, Kwame Brown, TMac and the ever popular Eric Snow didn't make this team!