• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I have a bad feeling about this summer

BHayley

Quote:

The question everyone in Memphis wants to know:

Will the ASG match a MAX offer to Josh Smith?

The real question is . . will the Griz offer a MAX deal to anyone? The fact that they basically gave Gasol away, is a clear indication that they're not willing to add significant payroll at this time.

As of right now, the Griz will have over 44 million worth of contracts on the books. Unless they get rid of Miller for some expirings, don't expect the Griz to do anything major in free agency, until the summer of 2009.

They'll use the 2 first round picks next year, to address the frontline and maybe add a shooter.

If the Griz wanted Smith they obviously would have traded for him rather than hoping they could outbid the Hawks this summer. I have no doubt that BK would have offered Smith + expirings for Gasol.

I would be surprised if Memphis makes an offer for Smith this summer.

Quote:

Hmmm...Gasol for Smith or Crit, Gasol, 2 1st rounders and Smith if you think the ASG won't match.

It is much more unlikely to sign a rfa than it is to resign your own. If a couple of late first rounders and Crit are going to make a difference then that just tells you that they don't value Smith that highly.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If the Griz wanted Smith they obviously would have traded for him rather than hoping they could outbid the Hawks this summer. I have no doubt that BK would have offered Smith + expirings for Gasol.

I would be surprised if Memphis makes an offer for Smith this summer.

I don't think we would have offered all of our expirings, so the deal would have included either Shelden, Zaza, or Speedy also.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm...Gasol for Smith or Crit, Gasol, 2 1st rounders and Smith if you think the ASG won't match.

It is much more unlikely to sign a rfa than it is to resign your own. If a couple of late first rounders and Crit are going to make a difference then that just tells you that they don't value Smith that highly.

I agree. The Hawks will almost certainly match any offer or at the bare minimum they will force Memphis to complete a sign and trade for Smith. If Memphis really wanted him they would secure him now. A couple of marginal first round picks have value but not enough to put your bid to get a cornerstone player for your franchise in serious doubt.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

ANOTHER Consideration is:

Maybe Grizz didn't want Smith at that moment, because Smith over the rest of the season would have been ANTITANK...

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe Grizz didn't want Smith at that moment, because Smith over the rest of the season would have been ANTITANK...

He hasn't hurt the Hawks' tanking efforts too much in the past given that we just picked up the #2, #5 and #3 picks in his first 3 years in the league.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He hasn't hurt the Hawks' tanking efforts too much in the past given that we just picked up the #2, #5 and #3 picks in his first 3 years in the league.

First off, he's a better player than he was last year or the year before.

Secondly.. with a cast of MCJ, Miller, Gay, and Darko... that posse can win some games.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

First off, he's a better player than he was last year or the year before.

Secondly.. with a cast of MCJ, Miller, Gay, and Darko... that posse can win some games.

Darko blows. Gay is very good but pretty young and the same goes for MCJ. I don't think that lineup wins very much - especially if they unload Miller for future picks/expiring. We'll probably just have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Moderators

Quote:

I guess the better question is: Is there any legal stuff that would prevent the ASG from matching a 5 year/$75+ million offer sheet?

The Hawks can legally match any offer. There is a chance that could change as long as this is in litigation but they could definitely match a 5 year/$75M offer right now.